Buxton is not a top 6 centre back

ariotofmyown

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's a waste of time and effort talking to some people, because they have already made their minds up and nothing anyone ever says or does will change their opinion one jot.

He is a much improved player, especially his distribution. He reads what is in front and to the left of him so much better than a couple of seasons ago. His commitment to the cause is unshakable and his attitude spot on. One of those rare players that got a break and made the most of it by sheer graft and wilingness to learn.

I doubt he will ever trouble the aspirationals for an England place but there is much to like and admire.

He is a top 5 centre back.

The clough hater cliche of the summer proved wrong after two games.

Unlucky not_ram

And after four games they could be proved right.

All this desperate justification of the "I am right you are wrong" attitude is pathetic. Buxton has improved but above that his sheer will and desire is truly admirable and on many occasions that will triumph over skill. You know what he will give every single game, and so far his best has been good enough. I do not think he is good enough, nor Keogh for our aims over the whole season but will happily be proved wrong and if I am right, then Derby have suffered, who wants to celebrate that.

If he plays a part in a record clean sheet keeping defence then you may be able to do a merry jig and proclaim from the rafters that your loyal king has arrived. Then later you can drink your ale from the button on the belly of your Mansfield born ruler. His face shall fly on every flag that adorns your abode. You hear his name with every waking breath and every clean sheet a long distant memory. All those who doubted the king are hung from Pride Park and you sit in your seat looking smug at them, whilst on the pitch the harsh reality of Premiership football sees King Buxton slain in his own battle, his bones gnawed upon by the feasting Suarez.

He's much improved since we first signed him, thats clear. But two games doesn't make a quality player. If he can hold this level of performance overs the course of the season then so be it, I don't believe it will happen, but would love it too. Couldn't happen to a better guy.

Oh wait, sorry I've already made my mind up according to eddie so scrap that... Buxton is ****. Always will be, always has been. Blah blah blah norgjnefkma.

He isn't cocky or arrogant. He is not afraid to get stuck in or get embarrassed. If he is unsure of his surroundings the ball is either hoofed up field or out of touch. Against better opposition he will struggle but he would not be out of his depth. I only see 5 teams he would struggle against, already played one (Blackburn) and Leicester we face next weekend. Our first two matches have been against teams that will finish in the top 8 and Leicester will also finish top 8. He is good enough for a top 6 team, but not a club that is looking for automatic promotion. 

On top of all that he is probably one of the best CB's in the league at attacking corners.  

Buxton is like many in this division, he is good when the play is in front of him and he can attack the ball, but against better players who play around him he struggles. Yet that happens to barker as well, both excel when we are battling away and sitting deeper with they full backs tucked in

Not sure when there has ever been such a thing as a top 6 player. If Derby signed me tomorrow and then signed 10 of the players from world team of the year, and we were the first choice XI, we would win the league. Would I be a top 6 player though?

I'm not saying Buxton isn't good, in fact I am one of the people who rates him. We will always disagree on his ability though. If he hasn't won over his critics by now, he never will.

My main point is, even if you don't rate him, why single him out as our worst player who will be the one obstacle between the hallowed top 6 and the purgatory of seventh and below? One player is never the difference. Remember, we were top of the league in December once with Mo Camara as our first choice left back. Top of the league. Mo Camara. First choice.

So is Jake Buxton a top 6 defender? Don't care. I don't care if we have a "top 6 quality" team. All I want is to finish in the top 6, and I don't care who's playing so long as that happens.

And Jake Buxton will not be the one obstacle from making that happen.

Buxton is like many in this division, he is good when the play is in front of him and he can attack the ball, but against better players who play around him he struggles. Yet that happens to barker as well, both excel when we are battling away and sitting deeper with they full backs tucked in

Exactly. Keogh is the same. Useless when he has to turn his back.

But they'll do imo. I don't think we'll get too much better.

Not sure when there has ever been such a thing as a top 6 player. If Derby signed me tomorrow and then signed 10 of the players from world team of the year, and we were the first choice XI, we would win the league. Would I be a top 6 player though?

I'm not saying Buxton isn't good, in fact I am one of the people who rates him. We will always disagree on his ability though. If he hasn't won over his critics by now, he never will.

My main point is, even if you don't rate him, why single him out as our worst player who will be the one obstacle between the hallowed top 6 and the purgatory of seventh and below? One player is never the difference. Remember, we were top of the league in December once with Mo Camara as our first choice left back. Top of the league. Mo Camara. First choice.

So is Jake Buxton a top 6 defender? Don't care. I don't care if we have a "top 6 quality" team. All I want is to finish in the top 6, and I don't care who's playing so long as that happens.

And Jake Buxton will not be the one obstacle from making that happen.

I agree with this. Bucko might not be top 6 quality on paper in some people's eyes but he's not going to let you down and is not going to be the sole reason for us not being top 6, if we don't make it.

Archived