John Eustace

DcFc Dyycheee

Why dont we just agree to disagree, you havent put forward any factual evidence to back up your claim but are quite content to deride my lack of perceived evidence. Tell you what, why dont you post your reasons why you think Buxton is a Top 6 defender then I can mock your absence of facts backing up that claim.

Or as a better idea why dont you post personal snipes instead. Oh sorry you've already done that, silly me. OK as an alternative why dont your regurgitate a comment I posted about 2 months ago for the next year ad nauseum.

Ok we'll agree to disagree. You think Buxton is not a top 6 player and I think that is highly subjective and is entirely dependent on other external factors.

• Replies 500
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well like you've just said, he was here FIVE years ago.

How has he improved as a footballer since? Surely if anything he's slower, less mobile now.

Savage played more games at a higher level than Eustace, did he make that much a difference at this level? Did Lee Hendrie impress you? Todd? Caroll? Teale? They had a wealth of experience at the top level and it did little to change our league position.

As I pointed out earlier, more than a third of Eustace's total games played in his career were after he had his earlier loan spell with us.

In the time since that spell he's captained a young Watford team for a couple of seasons, gaining the acclaim and respect of their fans along the way. This would indicate that he improved as a player in this time, but some people simply don't appear to believe that that is possible post-30. It is his know-how acquired and built up during this period that we are looking to mine.

He was injured at the start of last season and then didn't manage to get back in a side containing a load of continental loan players.

We wanted to sign him at various points in the last couple of years because we saw that he was at his peak captaining Watford. We couldn't sign him 2 years ago, but we can now, and obviously still feel that despite his last season at Watford and his advancing years he can do a job for us.

So your point is that experienced players are crap? Of select experienced players are crap. Or 3-4 pretty average players with experience of a higher level were crap for us?

No, my point is we've had several players with experience which I've mentioned above and none of them made the side look any better.

How is Eustace, a player we had five years ago a better player now? He's older, played five competitive games in a year and not one person as said "oh we've signed a good footballer" just mentioning his "EXPERIENCE" factor.

What a crap argument, at least say "oh he adds something different" other than experience.

People cried at the idea of Phil Neville joining, fook knows why if experience is that vital.

I would say Savage made a difference and handled difficult players, eg Tarrabt for QPR, very well. Dont know alot about Hendrie or Todd and I hope you dont mean Tom Carroll. Teale was a completely different type of player and is completely irrelevant

Roy Carroll, abit before you're time maybe.

John Eustace is an incredible leader both on and off the pitch, and a calming voice in the dressing room. As a player he isn't afraid to take on his man, and while he may tackle a bit rougher than other players he certainly doesn't hold back.

This Eustace debate is basically thus:

Most people can understand why he has joined and hope/think he may be able too add some value

The obvious usual 3-4 people think it's a rubbish signing based on a few loan appearances and that they have to keep up their blinkered anti-clough comments at any oppurtunity.

One poster really seems to rate Eustace and he seems to be a Watford fan. Everyone else should now stop posting and allow Motsyn, Notts and Gcfc to tell the Watford guy how totally wrong he is Take it away guys.

I think people need to relax, basically - it was sign Eustace or sign no-one, and go the season without a defensive midfielder.

Personally, I would have liked to sign Whithead, on the same wages as we're paying Eustace and him knowing he'll be on the bench for the majority of the season. 

but, that isn't realistic. 

I think a bit of intelligence needs to be made about this signing, it's not the end of the world - nor is it promotion in the bag. He has been brought in to do a job, when needed - when asked and that's it. I do worry that this criticism has come after a match by all accounts he played very well in, I wouldn't like to be around when he puts in a performance of less than Bryson's ilk - he'll be stoned to death, because he is too old and not good enough.  

No, my point is we've had several players with experience which I've mentioned above and none of them made the side look any better.

How is Eustace, a player we had five years ago a better player now? He's older, played five competitive games in a year and not one person as said "oh we've signed a good footballer" just mentioning his "EXPERIENCE" factor.

What a crap argument, at least say "oh he adds something different" other than experience.

People cried at the idea of Phil Neville joining, fook knows why if experience is that vital.

He was best player when we beat them 1-0 at there place 2 seasons ago.

I think people need to relax, basically - it was sign Eustace or sign no-one, and go the season without a defensive midfielder.

Personally, I would have liked to sign Whithead, on the same wages as we're paying Eustace and him knowing he'll be on the bench for the majority of the season.

but, that isn't realistic.

I think a bit of intelligence needs to be made about this signing, it's not the end of the world - nor is it promotion in the bag. He has been brought in to do a job, when needed - when asked and that's it. I do worry that this criticism has come after a match by all accounts he played very well in, I wouldn't like to be around when he puts in a performance of less than Bryson's ilk - he'll be stoned to death, because he is too old and not good enough.

I think 4 highly excitable posters need to relax. Pretty much everyone else can understand.

Only two years ago?

We should have got Paul Thirwell back. Gained a good reputation at Carlise, captain and now player coach as far as I'm aware.

Played over 200 games since leaving us.

No but really; experience means nothing if you're not good enough, Dean Holdsworth proved that when Tan Man brought him here. Not denying Eustace is a bad signing, but it's abit over the top to say he's the player to make us into a team capable of promotion. He's played afew friendlies against tinpot clubs and people are judging him saying he is ideal man to make us into contenders, bloody Nora.

Rather have Oakley back, my personal view. No doubt it'll get shot down like it always does.

We should have got Paul Thirwell back. Gained a good reputation at Carlise, captain and now player coach as far as I'm aware.

Played over 200 games since leaving us.

No but really; experience means nothing if you're not good enough, Dean Holdsworth proved that when Tan Man brought him here. Not denying Eustace is a bad signing, but it's abit over the top to say he's the player to make us into a team capable of promotion. He's played afew friendlies against tinpot clubs and people are judging him saying he is ideal man to make us into contenders, bloody Nora.

Rather have Oakley back, my personal view. No doubt it'll get shot down like it always does.

Is it not just one person who's said that? Don't exaggerate.

Eranio20...

Of course it'll get shot down, you're showing a complete disregard for context for a start, using the logic applied to one player/situation and trying to apply it somewhere it's not possibly relevant.

Paul Thirlwell may have made a very good name for himself at Carlisle, but Carlisle are a League One club and Thirlwell hasn't played in The Championship since April 2006. To bring up Thirlwell's career to oppose the point about Watford fans' opinion on Eustace makes no sense.

You mention Dean Holdsworth, who's season previous to joining us (a team who were a complete shambles at the time) as Phil Brown's mate was spent in the conference. So again, totally irrelevant

Now, Oakley.

Oakley was still good enough to get a regular game at Leicester right up until the 2010/11 season, but couldn't get a game for them in 2011/12 so went on loan to League One Exeter City. Ultimately they got relegated (not his fault) but he went back there last season and was playing League Two football.

True, at his peak he was a lot better than Eustace, but he IS NOW a League Two quality player, and besides his game was never about sitting in front of a defence, making tough tackles. His experience is not in a role that we need/want filled, and he would probably not even want to come back to do that job.

I can see your point on the matter, but no, not for me.

It's a bit like saying you'd rather have Dean Leacock in central defence this season than Jake Buxton. Hell, maybe you would!

Oh and to counter my own point about Oakley, I'll just mention Ian Harte who did of course spend some time in the 2008/09 and 09/10 seasons playing in League One at the age of 33 (with Thirlwell at Carlisle) before going back up to playing in the Premiership with Reading.

EDIT: I know you weren't seriously suggesting we should bring Thirlwell back, but you were still using him as an example to disregard my logic on Eustace.

So tell me, what does John Eustace bring to the table other than experience?

What qualities does he boast to say we are in with a shot at promotion? Someone said with him now signed up we'd be a side capable of finishing in the play offs, possibly even the TOP TWO places. What evidence does this poster have to say this? Eustace hasn't played regularly football for two seasons, how can anyone sit there and say "he's the player we need" based solely on two or three friendlies? I'll tell you what; One game against us, two seasons ago...

Someone (Shuff) said Savage marked Taarabt out of the game at Loftus Road, I agree. But how many other games did he look the part? This coming from someone who hasn't heard of Roy Caroll, funnily enough.

I remember aload of Aberdeen fans coming on here bigging up Chris Maguire, are they still right about him then?

I don't understand how a player who flopped five years ago can suddenly be classed as a solid signing. It's hypocritical.

No ones saying he is a quality signing, but a good signing he is. Why do certain posters expect us to sign top quality players all the time.

Football is a team game & though eustace may not be a world beater, he is a piece of the jigsaw that needed filling.

If you went to the game last night you would of seen what he can bring to the game, and lets be honest, he isn't going to get that long every game during the season.

He's on a free for 1 year, I say well done nige.

Oh and I was earwigging sam rushes conversation with some supporters last night too, and he was saying how pleased he and Nigel were about the signing. But of course you know better than them.

No, Eustace isn't an inspired signing but it's a bloody good one in my books. Good luck to the lad, it's not his fault some of you lot expect him to play like Ronaldo.

:D

Maybe we have signed him because he would be a round peg in a round hole? Rather than having no other option but to put Brayford in that role, as the type of player he is does not currently exist at the club?

Also, he is described as good for the dressing room and a leader on the pitch. If it means he gives the rest of the team a bit more belief or can direct players as to where they should be positioned, then he'll be doing his job.

I always remember thinking Steve Cross was rubbish, but had to respect him when I remember watching him specifically and he was constantly directing Mark Wright where to be.

Intelligent players can continue to play into their thirties as it isn't so much their physical attributes that got them where they are.

Having watched th me Burton game I think there are a few things that Eustace can bring to the side.

Bearing in mind these are compared to the other 3 central midfielders Hughes Hendrick and Bryson

Tackling in midfield to help break up the play (will also win most 50/50s).

Aerial presence.

Knowing when to play football and passing it around but also when to clear it and avoid the opposition snatching it off us.

Communication.

I'm not saying Hughes Hendrick and Bryson are weak in the tackle or they struggle defensively but last season there was too many times when the opposition weren't closed down on the edge of the area.

Same with Aerial presence Hendrick can head the ball but Bryson and Hughes cannot. Eustace is very capable in the air. This will help in play but also in dead ball situations i.e. corners where I feel we will be less likely to concede.

The knowing when to play one I feel is important, I find Hendrick tries to keep the ball and gets caught easily. Hughes can usually fool the opponent enough to find a pass.

Finally communication. He is a leader on the pitch and you can see that shouting orders however I myself am slightly unsure as to how important this is.

So tell me, what does John Eustace bring to the table other than experience?

What qualities does he boast to say we are in with a shot at promotion? Someone said with him now signed up we'd be a side capable of finishing in the play offs, possibly even the TOP TWO places. What evidence does this poster have to say this? Eustace hasn't played regularly football for two seasons, how can anyone sit there and say "he's the player we need" based solely on two or three friendlies? I'll tell you what; One game against us, two seasons ago...

Someone (Shuff) said Savage marked Taarabt out of the game at Loftus Road, I agree. But how many other games did he look the part? This coming from someone who hasn't heard of Roy Caroll, funnily enough.

I remember aload of Aberdeen fans coming on here bigging up Chris Maguire, are they still right about him then?

I don't understand how a player who flopped five years ago can suddenly be classed as a solid signing. It's hypocritical.

It is hoped that he will come on in tight games and sit in front of the back 4 and not let opposing midfielders run at the defence, like against Ipswich. With him doing this the likes of Hughes, Hendrick, Bryson can focus on attacking more, when we are looking for a goal. When we are under the cosh, hopefully, his added grit and solid tackling will help break up attacks and help the defence out more.

He isn't a starter, he will probably play 40 games this season and start about 5-10 games. There isn't anyone like him in the squad, that will just sit in front of the back 4. Our other CM like to attack and will attack when given the chance, and aren't suited to playing a holding role.

Archived