John Eustace

DcFc Dyycheee

James Bailey?

Or if he's not the experience we needed, Rory Delap? Played at the top level for gods knows how many years, was a free agent prior to joining Burton. Would have been interesting seeing Sammon get on the end of his throws.

Seriously the only thing I've read about Eustace on the Watford forum is sayings he's a top professional for taking a pay cut. What about his FOOTBALL ability? He was plague by injuries and like I said previously "did an experienced, old head like Savage do much in his time here?"

Is it that difficult to find someone who is at the peak of there career , can scare the opposition and play more than 40 games a season? We need a Seth Johnson type of player, said it for yonks. Even when he returned from his injury prone spell at Leeds he still managed 50 odd games.

If a Buffon like Brown can get someone in like Seth, under much stricter finances, why can't we now? It's a temporally fix bringing in Eustace and what happens if Hendrick, Hughes or Bryson get injured or a suspension ? Does he come in and is expect to fill the void? Two 90 minute games in a week? Is he up to it?

• Replies 500
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You seem to be arguing for arguments sake now!

James Bailey is not a tackler, or a closer-downer -  when he was doing well here it was on the proviso someone else (Savage) did the harrying and ball winning and then gave it him to display his passing skills.

The problem was that Savage was pretty indisciplined, couldn't resist attempts at showboating, and often ended up out of position without the legs to get back... exposing the lack of steel in his midfield parttners (Bailey, Pearson) and leading to the opposition running us ragged straight down the middle time and time again. This is where pointing out that the know-how of Savage didn't get us anywhere falls down - because he didn't 'know how' and if he did he rarely displayed it.

Rory Delap, great know how (I refuse to simply call it experience anymore) and clearly a bt of a coup for Burton. I am not actually sure where his strengths lie though, I can scarcely remember his time here, I am unsure exactly what type of midfielder he has become.

If we were to go for someone at the peak of their career who could scare the opposition then they'd want to be playing every game, and not be happy to sit on the bench, they'd presumably also cost us a good fee and to give them the gametime they'd want you'd have to do so at the expense of one of Hendrick, Bryson or Hughes.

Seth Johnson came back for sentimental reasons, who our manager was and how our finances were would have had so little effect on his choice... and tbh I can't actually think of any 'Seth Johnson types' actually out there to sign!

You also appear to have made allowances for Seth Johnson's multi-season injury prone spell at Leeds that you're not willing to give to Eustace after just one injury affected season at Watford (previous to that he had 45, 42 and another 42 appearance seasons)

You can't think of anyone who'd play the Seth role?

Danny Murphy? Simon Davies? Thomas Hitzlsperger? Amdy Fayne?

At the top of my head who are all free agents and would walk into the side.

All have a wealth of experience, all played at the top level.

Also Shaun Derry wouldn't get a look in at QPR, would have been a superb addition to the side. Surely these are all better than Eustace.

But the deals done now, never once said its a bad signing. I'm just disappointed we are aiming so low after Rushs comments at the forums about "exciting signings" and having money to spend.

Murphy? Likely to still want stupid wages, also unlikely to be willing to sit on the bench. Will be interesting to see where he goes.

Hitzlsperger? 32 appearances over the last 3 seasons and STILL rather unlikely to drop down to this league. Probably end up going back to Germany.

Davies? He's a winger isn't he?

Faye? Not had a club since 2011, last played a professional match in December 2010!

If you meant Abdoulaye Faye who was at Hull last season... he's still at Hull after signing an extension.

Derry? Recently signed a 1 year extension at QPR.

We have signed an player who will add knowledge and experiernce to the dressing room and the side. Its something we have needed for some time. Rory Delap is being suggested and he is four years older than Eustace, what can he provide to the side that Eustace can't? We have signed him on a one year contract, what's to get uptight about? When new funds become available next summer we can move to the nerxt phase, in the meantime lets give him a break and judge him on performances, not what he did during a short loan two years ago or more.

I'm just disappointed we are aiming so low after Rushs comments at the forums about "exciting signings" and having money to spend.

What, didnt it excite you at all? I'm still have ecstasies just thinking about Eustace playing for us next season

James Bailey?

Or if he's not the experience we needed, Rory Delap? Played at the top level for gods knows how many years, was a free agent prior to joining Burton. Would have been interesting seeing Sammon get on the end of his throws.

Seriously the only thing I've read about Eustace on the Watford forum is sayings he's a top professional for taking a pay cut. What about his FOOTBALL ability? He was plague by injuries and like I said previously "did an experienced, old head like Savage do much in his time here?"

Is it that difficult to find someone who is at the peak of there career , can scare the opposition and play more than 40 games a season? We need a Seth Johnson type of player, said it for yonks. Even when he returned from his injury prone spell at Leeds he still managed 50 odd games.

If a Buffon like Brown can get someone in like Seth, under much stricter finances, why can't we now? It's a temporally fix bringing in Eustace and what happens if Hendrick, Hughes or Bryson get injured or a suspension ? Does he come in and is expect to fill the void? Two 90 minute games in a week? Is he up to it?

All very well talking about football ability but at the top of your post you mention someone who can't even get near our squad (and rightly so IMO - I've seen nothing to suggest he's worth considering) and a 37 year old who has fallen from PL to League 2 at the click of a finger.

We got Seth second time round on massively reduced wages. If someone like that was available again I'm sure they'd be looked at, but that isn't a situation that arises every week is it?

I've seen a few games featuring Eustace and dozens featuring Savage and (again, IMO) Eustace has a lot more football in him. Savage is a great motivator, harrier and can break up the play but in terms of keeping the ball and being sensible he wasn't great. Eustace will bring calm to the team whereas Savage brought fire and aggression.

I think it's a smart move. We have a young midfield with no real leader in there and I expect he'll be mentoring Hughes, Hendrick and probably Bryson as well. Sounds like he can do the business at CB too so if we don't get the loanee we're after I'm sure he'll be able to deputise.

If message boards had existed when Clough Snr signed 34 year old Dave Mackay in 1968 what would fans have said? Injury prone (he had broken his leg), too old, over the top, freebie, no ambition, why didn't we sign a younger player, not exciting etc etc ?

In fact he was converted to a sweeper and his experience made all the difference to that side.

Why do we judge players on how much they cost?

After watching the Burton highlights there was many little points about Eustace I like, the main one is his reaction speed to situations. 

This comes with great intelligence as a footballer, but he was able to break up play easily by just reading the game well and get the ball moving forward. 

When a player becomes sluggish in situations, that's when they become useless IMO and that to me looked to be one of his strong points, obviously I wasn't at the game and it was only 15 minutes of highlights but that's my take on it.

I tell you all. A genius on Champ Man 01/02. That is the only proof ever needed.

funny you say that, I've just downloaded that, cos it's free and started playing it again.

Went out and bought a raft of players I know will do well. Steve Torpey, Cherno Samba, Justin Georcelin, Andy Rushbury, Matt Blinkhorn, Joleon Lescott, Alan Smith. Did look at Wellens, but he'd just moved so wouldn't come to me!

funny you say that, I've just downloaded that, cos it's free and started playing it again.

Went out and bought a raft of players I know will do well. Steve Torpey, Cherno Samba, Justin Georcelin, Andy Rushbury, Matt Blinkhorn, Joleon Lescott, Alan Smith. Did look at Wellens, but he'd just moved so wouldn't come to me!

I wonder if Mark Kerr could do a job....

Archived