Footballers who were over-hyped, blew it, or lost control: #1 Adriano

networker1884

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Theo Walcott.. Next Thierry Henry? My arse

Ryan Babbel.. Another wonderkid off the Ajax production line who turned out to do absolutely nothing in his career

Alan Shearer.. For joining Newcastle (obviously he's a PL legend but in terms of trophies and what he could have won at Man Utd.. He blew it)

Bojan seems to be on a slippery slope.. Has been out of favour at most clubs he's been at..

Controversially clubs have paid out over $40mill on Van Der Vaart since he left Ajax in 2004 and he has only won a Spanish Super Cup in which he wasn't even in the first team..

And last but not least.. Nyatanga.. Youngest ever Welsh defender and now he's a sub at a L1 side.. Crazy to think he made his debut in 2005.. I bet most of us thought he'd be in the PL by now.

Kieron Dyer? Was establishing himself as a regular for England before injury struck, such a shame as he was a quality player beforehand. 

Although still young, you could include Michael Johnson of City. When we got promoted he was just breaking into the City team and looked a really prospect but injury again halted his progress, last I saw of him he looked about a stone or two overweight.

I liked Nyatanga but always knew he was limited, and his decline is no surprise for me - was ridiculous how he was making the first team welsh squad for his ability.

Giles Barnes is the one up close, I don't think he was 'over-hyped' as such, think he could of been something very special and he did have the ability BUT injuries ravaged his body! 

2006/2007 Giles Barnes probably is post millennium the best season had by a Derby County player, he was untouchable that season - so much ability!  

Although still young, you could include Michael Johnson of City. When we got promoted he was just breaking into the City team and looked a really prospect but injury again halted his progress, last I saw of him he looked about a stone or two overweight.

He was released by Man City around xmas last year and isn't looking for another club. Shame as he looked quality when he broke into the team

I can't remember if it was Francois Grenet or Lillian Martin, but one of them was supposedly the heir to Thuram

It was Francois Grenet.

I still remember the quote from Colin Todd ...'there is only one thing keeping Francois Grenet out of the French national team'.

Unfortunately we all assumed it was Lilian Thuram...not the fact that he was absolute dog sh1te!

Matt Jansen - scored for fun earlier in his career, got a England call up and then later had a motorbike accident and wasn't seen for three years. Went on to play Non league football before quitting.

Dean Sturridge - This one will be a shock to some, but he was touted as a England international and valued at over 8 million at one point (interest from Arsenal and possibility of being Wrights replacement). Only two years later he joined Leicester for a mere 350,000 and he losing his place to Ade Akinbiyi. He then later got released by...Kidderminster in 2006.

Archived