Footballers who were over-hyped, blew it, or lost control: #1 Adriano

networker1884

You honestly think I'm different?

Ask any football player what they'd prefer.. Money and trophies or club legend status at their boyhood club..

Shearer might turn round and say he has absolutely no regrets joining Newcastle and would prefer to be there than 11 years at a successful club like Man Utd.. But he'd be in the minority..

If you honestly believe that players should stay at their boyhood clubs or would prefer that then the following would have happened..

Scholes playing for Oldham all his career

Rio, Joe Cole, Carrick and Lamps all playing for WHU inseatd of Man Utd and Chelsea

Walcott, Ox and Bale all staying at Southampton

Zidane playing for Marseille his whole career

Everybody should be playing for their boyhood club? That's dreamworld talk that.. Maybe some have bigger aspirations. In Shearer's case he blew the chance of winning everyhing just to score some goals with his hometown club? Worth it? Ask the other players that joined the big teams if it was worth it.

BUT Shearer was a then WORLD RECORD transfer and he had already won a Premier League winners medal. At that time Newcastle were the equivalent in the Prem of what AC Milan are in Serie A, and Real Madrid are in La Liga NOW, 2nd best.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Alan Shearer got 3 managers sacked at Newcastle, well sort of, Sir Bobby, Ruud Guillit, and Glen Roeder all left him on the bench and were sacked before the next game :lol: I guess this is 1 of the few times where the player IS bigger than the club!!

You honestly think I'm different?

Ask any football player what they'd prefer.. Money and trophies or club legend status at their boyhood club..

Shearer might turn round and say he has absolutely no regrets joining Newcastle and would prefer to be there than 11 years at a successful club like Man Utd.. But he'd be in the minority..

If you honestly believe that players should stay at their boyhood clubs or would prefer that then the following would have happened..

Scholes playing for Oldham all his career

Rio, Joe Cole, Carrick and Lamps all playing for WHU inseatd of Man Utd and Chelsea

Walcott, Ox and Bale all staying at Southampton

Zidane playing for Marseille his whole career

Everybody should be playing for their boyhood club? That's dreamworld talk that.. Maybe some have bigger aspirations. In Shearer's case he blew the chance of winning everyhing just to score some goals with his hometown club? Worth it? Ask the other players that joined the big teams if it was worth it.

Yes, it is dreamworld aspirations - that's why it doesn't happen. 

But imagine a world where you played for your boyhood club? where you grew up? football would be so much better, there wouldn't be any 'football super powers' that have become that by spending money and it would be a much better game! 

It would never happen, but for the strong football fans amongst us - it would be a dream to play for Derby, it's not my dream to play for man utd and win trophies and hopefully if I was in that position and I had that much ability, I would stay strong to that dream.

I understand I'm in the minority but the sport would be a much better place for it.. 

Anyway...number 2.

Freddy Adu

What was expected of him: The first pick in the 2004 MLS SuperDraft, and signing his first professional contract at the age of 14, Freddy Adu became the youngest American to sign a major league contract in over a century. After tearing apart the youth team of Juventus during an incredibly strong performance with the United States Olympic Development team at 10 years old, Adu joined the IMG Academy in 2002 at the age of 12. The world went crazy over the American soccer player, and after being selected in the 2004 Draft by D.C. United, it seemed like the sky was the limit. A Nike sponsorship deal, and knowing nods from the likes of Pele, led many to believe Freddy Adu would finally be the American superstar who could break "soccer" in America.

What the world got: The Ghanaian born American, Freddy Adu, showcased incredible talent from a young age, and was rather fortunate to move to the United States in the first place when, at the age of 8, his mother won the Green Card Lottery. Building up a reputation through various youth soccer tournaments, Adu was well on the way to becoming a household name. His performance against Juventus led Internazionale to apparently lodge a £500,000 offer with Adu's mother, who was his agent at the time. She decided, however, that Freddy's development would be best served in the United States, and declined. The very fact that Inter were willing to offer half a million pounds for a 10 year old though, goes some way to suggest what was expected of him.

Adu was selected as the #1 pick by D.C. United in the 2004 MLS SuperDraft, ahead of future US stars Clint Dempsey and Michael Bradley, who were chosen 8th and 36th, respectively. Adu made his debut for D.C. in April 2004, at 14 years of age, and scored his first professional goal two weeks later. The buzz around him, however, quickly evaporated as several commentators noted his incredibly small stature and the ease at which older and larger opponents could shrug him off the ball. This was despite the fact that many had raised questions over Adu's true age, with constant speculation that his birth certificate had been faked before his move to the United States, in order for him to get a more thorough education. Whilst he was technically excellent for such a young player, his development was way behind that of his fellow professionals, and it seemed that during all the excitement about his performances against other children, nobody had realised he would be competing with 30 year old, fully-grown men once he was in the MLS. His dribbling was excellent, but there appeared to be no end product, and Adu's stock was beginning to fall. Adu spent time at Manchester United in the summer of 2006, but Sir Alex Ferguson opted not to make an offer, deciding that the American wasn't good enough for the Red Devil's youth team. After 12 goals in 99 games as a deep-forward for D.C. United, Adu was traded to Real Salt Lake in late 2006.

Still only 16, it seemed his career was already faltering. 1 goal (a penalty) in 11 games for Real wasn't what was expected, but it didn't stop S.L. Benfica from spending £1,250,000 in order to secure his services. They too quickly realised that Adu wasn't ready for first-team football, and decided to let him mature slowly, and to develop his talent over time. Things didn't work out that way for Adu, and after manager Fernando Santos left the club just 1 game into the season, it seemed Adu's days were numbered. After just 20 games in Portugal, he was loaned to several clubs around Europe, with spells in France, Greece and Turkey. After 4 years on the books with Benfica, and unable to break into the first team, the man expected to topple Landon Donovan as the King of American soccer left Europe behind, and joined Philadelphia Union in the 2011 MLS Season. 2 goals in 13 games his first year was disappointing, but the 2012 season saw Adu have the best season of his career so far with 8 strikes from 28 appearances. The fact this is seen as success though, shows how far the American has fallen since he was initially drafted. His performances were below-par, and his selfishness and lack of work rate frustrated the Philadelphia fans. Currently on loan at Bahia in Brazil, and still just 24 years old, nobody can be quite sure what the future holds for Freddy Adu. It's pretty safe to assume though, that he'll never quite live up to being a footballing God.

Yes, it is dreamworld aspirations - that's why it doesn't happen. 

But imagine a world where you played for your boyhood club? where you grew up? football would be so much better, there wouldn't be any 'football super powers' that have become that by spending money and it would be a much better game! 

It would never happen, but for the strong football fans amongst us - it would be a dream to play for Derby, it's not my dream to play for man utd and win trophies and hopefully if I was in that position and I had that much ability, I would stay strong to that dream.

I understand I'm in the minority but the sport would be a much better place for it.. 

If that were true ambitious all you'd end up with is the bigger cities having the best teams and the magical stories of little Wigan Athletic winning the FA Cup would never happen..

The only way little Wigan could possibly achieve that is through money..

And as for Derby, where would we be if we couldn't have bought players from other areas.. We're hardly a side that's been blessed with amazing youngsters over the past 15 years.. Other than Tom Huddlestone none of them have even made the PL level..

If that were true ambitious all you'd end up with is the bigger cities having the best teams and the magical stories of little Wigan Athletic winning the FA Cup would never happen..

The only way little Wigan could possibly achieve that is through money..

And as for Derby, where would we be if we couldn't have bought players from other areas.. We're hardly a side that's been blessed with amazing youngsters over the past 15 years.. Other than Tom Huddlestone none of them have even made the PL level..

Still would be good supporting a team full of Derby fans, and everyone playing for their hometown. 

If I was interested in watching a team win every week, I would of simply become a Man United fan - life would be easy, but, I support my home team - for no reason, other than they're my home team. 

I am not glory hungry - nor, overally fussed about being promoted. I just want to see us play decent football and compete at whatever level we're at - I'd love to see us be successful, but it's just not part and parcel of being a Derby fan. 

As a Derby fan you have to take pride in other things other than winning, and if you can't do that - which people can't, that's why they don't come to games - all intensive purposes these are 'glory supporters' who're only interested when we're winning. 

How many potential players have slipped through the net in that time because we didn't need local players?

Again it's a very selective argument from Bris when he can't possibly be in a position to know.

How many players turn down moves to big clubs to stay put? How many players turn down "step up" moves because it doesn't suit them for one reason or another.

Bris with his carefully calculated views is only capable of looking at the cold facts, without taking into account that players are human beings as well.

Case in point, flashback,  I'm sitting on a bus talking to two full major England internationals who's contracts are expiring, both playing for a club out of the so called "big 5".

Man Utd wanted to buy them both.

One signed, one didn't. One stayed one left. One wanted more money and the chance to play for a real glamour club, one was happy where he was and was doing alright cash wise anyway.

Who had the best career?

Players don't always move for money. For every money grabber there's a Matt le Tissier, for every  money grabbing club hopper, somewhere there's a Paolo Maldini.

Maybe it doesn't happen so often in THIS era, but then again the era of Shearer isn't this era

Again it's a very selective argument from Bris when he can't possibly be in a position to know.

How many players turn down moves to big clubs to stay put? How many players turn down "step up" moves because it doesn't suit them for one reason or another.

Bris with his carefully calculated views is only capable of looking at the cold facts, without taking into account that players are human beings as well.

Case in point, flashback,  I'm sitting on a bus talking to two full major England internationals who's contracts are expiring, both playing for a club out of the so called "big 5".

Man Utd wanted to buy them both.

One signed, one didn't. One stayed one left. One wanted more money and the chance to play for a real glamour club, one was happy where he was and was doing alright cash wise anyway.

Who had the best career?

Players don't always move for money. For every money grabber there's a Matt le Tissier, for every  money grabbing club hopper, somewhere there's a Paolo Maldini.

Maybe it doesn't happen so often in THIS era, but then again the era of Shearer isn't this era

Erm, you're the one being selective buddy..

For every money grabber there's a Matt Le Tissier.. Erm, no there isn't.. There are 20,000 money grabbers to every one Matt Le Tissier.. Other than MLT, Shearer and Steve Bull who else stayed at their local club and didn't join a better club offering more money? As a challenge, and without using wikipedia, go and name me 15 more..

Oh, and those at successful clubs who are winning trophies every other year like Maldini at AC Milan and Gerrard at Liverpool don't count..

If Shearer had joined Liverpool and won maybe 3 FA Cups, 2 League Cups and a CL then I'd understand.. But he moved to Newcastle and in 11 years won nowt whilst worse players like Andy Cole were winning everything..

Erm, you're the one being selective buddy..

For every money grabber there's a Matt Le Tissier.. Erm, no there isn't.. There are 20,000 money grabbers to every one Matt Le Tissier.. Other than MLT, Shearer and Steve Bull who else stayed at their local club and didn't join a better club offering more money? As a challenge, and without using wikipedia, go and name me 15 more..

Oh, and those at successful clubs who are winning trophies every other year like Maldini at AC Milan and Gerrard at Liverpool don't count..

If Shearer had joined Liverpool and won maybe 3 FA Cups, 2 League Cups and a CL then I'd understand.. But he moved to Newcastle and in 11 years won nowt whilst worse players like Andy Cole were winning everything..

Considering premier league clubs are made up of squads of about 35.

The figure of 20,000 to one is pure wildness. I'll make a start on my list of 15 once you've got half way through your list.

I'll give you one and then you've got to find 40,000 money grabbers.

You don't half talk daft.

Considering premier league clubs are made up of squads of about 35.

The figure of 20,000 to one is pure wildness. I'll make a start on my list of 15 once you've got half way through your list.

I'll give you one and then you've got to find 40,000 money grabbers.

You don't half talk daft.

I'm not taling about PL squads.. I'm talking about worldfootball..

There are 260 million footballers in the world..

So yes, around 20,000 money grabbers to every 1 MLT.

how many of those 260 million are professional?

I don't know.. I just looked on the FIFA website for male and female football players and it has around 265mill..

I'll even help you with your quest of finding 15 players that didn't bother making the move because they preferred to stay put and play with their local team..

I'll help you because I know how difficult it will be..

Take the DCFC side at the moment.. The likes of Bryson, Russell, Brayford, Bailey, Doyle, Buxton, Barker, Coutts, Davies etc.. All would have earned a payrise here..

Now, as far as money grabber (as you call it) is concerned, does Bryson count as a money grabber? Given he came here to earn more.. Surely he would have stayed at Kilmarnock if it wasn't all about money?

I honestly can't think of any footballer that other than Shearer, MLT and Steve Bull who stayed at their respective clubs (who weren't winning trophies) rather than move on..

But then again even Shearer is an extreme case, given that he moved from Southampton to Blackburn for what can only be described as 'more money'

Shearer was soon subject to a British transfer record-breaking £3.3million bid from Blackburn Rovers. Although there was also interest from Manchester United manager Alex Ferguson, Blackburn benefactor Jack Walker's millions were enough to prise the striker from the Saints, and Shearer moved north to Ewood Park in the summer of 1992.

Money grabber.

Bris, you've somehow twisted the point around here. My point, as was some other posters, is that SHEARER himself could never be accused of blowing it, or failing to live up to the hype. He won more than many better players have, or at least came close. He had a lengthy career and played on til he was older than 90% of professional footballers. At the HIGHEST level.

As for the others, many don't even get the opportunity to play for their local team, so it's a moot point. But I reckon that if you'd made your millions and didn't need the money, players would play for the team they have a emotional connection to, like Bellamy going to Cardiff, and Roy Keane going to Celtic.

Bris, you've somehow twisted the point around here. My point, as was some other posters, is that SHEARER himself could never be accused of blowing it, or failing to live up to the hype. He won more than many better players have, or at least came close. He had a lengthy career and played on til he was older than 90% of professional footballers. At the HIGHEST level.

As for the others, many don't even get the opportunity to play for their local team, so it's a moot point. But I reckon that if you'd made your millions and didn't need the money, players would play for the team they have a emotional connection to, like Bellamy going to Cardiff, and Roy Keane going to Celtic.

I'm pretty sure keane was a free agent when he went to Celtic and didn't have any other offers at the time, Bellamy is an extreme case although he guy probably ran out of PL clubs to join..

I understand that Shearer was a great player, won the PL with Blackburn and captained England..

But.. He only won the PL once, but failed to win any other trophy.. His ability far outweighed Newcastle's ability and he should have won far more trophies and played in the CL far more often than some of his competitors..

He blew the chance of winning many more trophies by being loyal to Newcastle. His home town club.. He will always be remembered in Newcastle, but his lack of trophies means he won't always be remembered in the same way like Scholes, Giggs, Neville for a trophy haul.. Who knows whether that is more important to him, but he is an exception as the majority will always go to the most successful club or the highest paying club..

IMO Shearer blew his career (from a trophy perspective)

But we can all agree that him staying at Newcastle and for 11 years being far better than the club itself and not being persuaded by money should be congratulated.

I beg to differ. In years to come, may of those Man United players will be forgotten amongst the long list of trophy winners. Shearer will always be considered a legend at that club.

Gerrard will never win a league title. Will he be deemed a failure, after all, the domestic league is the pinnacle of your bread and butter profession.

I wonder if Kleberson or Stam would be recognised and treated with as much reverence in Manchester as Shearer would be in Newcastle?

He may not have a medal, but as a professional sportsman, his ego will always be massaged.

I used to live next door to Neville Brown (the boxer) and across the road from Craig Ramage and they told me the most difficult part of retirement is that nobody wants to know you once you're out of the public eye. Where restaurants would invite you in for free meals - once you're no longer a draw, people don't care.

Alan Shearer won't have that issue for that point alone.

I wonder if the likes of Igor think they wish they'd joined a big club and warmed the bench rather than be revered at Derby?

Archived