Footballers who were over-hyped, blew it, or lost control: #1 Adriano

networker1884

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Theo Walcott.. Next Thierry Henry? My arse

Ryan Babbel.. Another wonderkid off the Ajax production line who turned out to do absolutely nothing in his career

Alan Shearer.. For joining Newcastle (obviously he's a PL legend but in terms of trophies and what he could have won at Man Utd.. He blew it)

Bojan seems to be on a slippery slope.. Has been out of favour at most clubs he's been at..

Controversially clubs have paid out over £40mill on Van Der Vaart since he left Ajax in 2004 and he has only won a Spanish Super Cup in which he wasn't even in the first team..

And last but not least.. Nyatanga.. Youngest ever Welsh defender and now he's a sub at a L1 side.. Crazy to think he made his debut in 2005.. I bet most of us thought he'd be in the PL by now.

Selling your soul to sign for a club you dislike would be blowing it. Being a legend for your home-town club, having broke loads of records and won a league title almost single-handedly and captained your country and conducted your private life in the best possible way would be deemed a massive success in my eyes.

NOT going to Man United is no justification to be called a failure or 'blew it'.

Selling your soul to sign for a club you dislike would be blowing it. Being a legend for your home-town club, having broke loads of records and won a league title almost single-handedly and captained your country and conducted your private life in the best possible way would be deemed a massive success in my eyes.

NOT going to Man United is no justification to be called a failure or 'blew it'.

Yes but he'll always be looked upon as a great player with very little trophies..

He could have done so much more with his career but decided to take a huge risk and play for his hometown club..

He's in a very small minority that would do that. Most players now would jump at the chance to play for the best clubs. There are alot of Everton boys playing for Liverpool, guys that have jumped for Leeds Utd to Man Utd.

Unless Shearer genuinely thought Newcastle would be challenging for league titles IMO he made a massive mistake going there.

Yes but he'll always be looked upon as a great player with very little trophies..

He could have done so much more with his career but decided to take a huge risk and play for his hometown club..

He's in a very small minority that would do that. Most players now would jump at the chance to play for the best clubs. There are alot of Everton boys playing for Liverpool, guys that have jumped for Leeds Utd to Man Utd.

Unless Shearer genuinely thought Newcastle would be challenging for league titles IMO he made a massive mistake going there.

I think your missing the point of the thread Bris....

Shearer is the top all time scorer in the Prem by a huge margin, hardly over hyped!

I think your missing the point of the thread Bris....

Shearer is the top all time scorer in the Prem by a huge margin, hardly over hyped!

I know he wasn't overhyped..

But for trophies alone, and with his ability, surely going to Newcastle can be seen as 'blowing-it'

A waste of his talent IMO

I think you're looking at it 'inside-out'. Shearer epitomises 'individual' achievement! Many personal records and trophies whilst the TEAM he spent the majority of his career with under-achieved. So when talking about the hype of a player himself, Shearer lived up to expectations, as a team however, if you was talking about Hype, Newcastle failed, as a TEAM

I know he wasn't overhyped..

But for trophies alone, and with his ability, surely going to Newcastle can be seen as 'blowing-it'

A waste of his talent IMO

Haha...you manage to look at football with no emotion, most of us can't do that! He went to his home town club, he signed for his boyhood heroes at the peak of his career...I would say that's the ultimate any footballer could possibly do - the polar opposite of "blowing it".

He lived the dream.....he did what all us snotty nosed little kids prayed for everytime we kicked a ball against a garage door or on the local park, he smashed goals in for the club he grew up loving and supporting. Seriously, there's no better outcome for a professional footballer. Cups and trophies at Man Utd would not have given him the pride he felt at smashing a winner in at St. James Park wearing the black & white.

He can hold his head high walking through Newcastle knowing he did his best for his team with the respect of the fans for the rest of his life.

If that's "blowing it" then your view of football is very shallow and I actually pity you for it. You will never know the depth of feeling of truly supporting a football team.

Oh Bris  :lol:

I know people won't agree but I think everybodies dream should be playing for their boyhood clubs like Shearer did, that's how football should be! 

not going where the money is!

I'd take being a club legend at Derby than winning all the trophies at man utd, but that's me personally. I know you're different Bris - you'd happily sell the clubs soul for a shout at a title - just as you would throw derby under the bus to join forest if they were challenging for the title! 

Back then, Newcastle were the nearest challengers to Man Utd for the title and he got to play in CL, FA Cups finals for Newcastle, OK he maybe didn't win as many medals as he should have, but he won one at least.

Nobody is wrong in this matter, it comes down to personal preference but the Le Tissiers, Shearer type don't exist in modern football anymore.

Haha...you manage to look at football with no emotion, most of us can't do that! He went to his home town club, he signed for his boyhood heroes at the peak of his career...I would say that's the ultimate any footballer could possibly do - the polar opposite of "blowing it".

He lived the dream.....he did what all us snotty nosed little kids prayed for everytime we kicked a ball against a garage door or on the local park, he smashed goals in for the club he grew up loving and supporting. Seriously, there's no better outcome for a professional footballer. Cups and trophies at Man Utd would not have given him the pride he felt at smashing a winner in at St. James Park wearing the black & white.

He can hold his head high walking through Newcastle knowing he did his best for his team with the respect of the fans for the rest of his life.

If that's "blowing it" then your view of football is very shallow and I actually pity you for it. You will never know the depth of feeling of truly supporting a football team.

Seriously, that's not that big of a deal..

How many players leave their boyhood clubs behind to play for a better club?

The ultimate moment in your career should be lifting a PL/CL trophy, or an accomplishment at a club.. I obviously can't ask you seriously as you're just a fan.. But I'm pretty sure players want to reach the top level regardless of who they do it with..

I don't think Jamie Carragher playing for Everton at the peak of his career would top winning the CL with Liverpool..

No better outcome? You're speaking as a fan in a dreamworld..  But I'm pretty sure Chicharito feels far better playing for Man Utd and winning trophies rather than scoring goals for Chivas..

Do you think Man Utd, Real Madrid, Barcelona, Dortmund, Bayern Munich, AC Milan etc. is full of players who supported them as a boy? Obviously not.. Do you think Lampard would have preferred to stay at WHU rather than go to Chelsea? Do you think he'd have felt the same satisfaction scoring goals for WHU as he did winning the PL, FA Cup and CL with Chelsea?

Come off it mate..

And of course I'd move to Forest if it meant furthering my career.. Afterall, Brian Clough went to Leeds and then Forest.

Oh Bris  :lol:

I know people won't agree but I think everybodies dream should be playing for their boyhood clubs like Shearer did, that's how football should be! 

not going where the money is!

I'd take being a club legend at Derby than winning all the trophies at man utd, but that's me personally. I know you're different Bris - you'd happily sell the clubs soul for a shout at a title - just as you would throw derby under the bus to join forest if they were challenging for the title! 

You honestly think I'm different?

Ask any football player what they'd prefer.. Money and trophies or club legend status at their boyhood club..

Shearer might turn round and say he has absolutely no regrets joining Newcastle and would prefer to be there than 11 years at a successful club like Man Utd.. But he'd be in the minority..

If you honestly believe that players should stay at their boyhood clubs or would prefer that then the following would have happened..

Scholes playing for Oldham all his career

Rio, Joe Cole, Carrick and Lamps all playing for WHU inseatd of Man Utd and Chelsea

Walcott, Ox and Bale all staying at Southampton

Zidane playing for Marseille his whole career

Everybody should be playing for their boyhood club? That's dreamworld talk that.. Maybe some have bigger aspirations. In Shearer's case he blew the chance of winning everyhing just to score some goals with his hometown club? Worth it? Ask the other players that joined the big teams if it was worth it.

Archived