Best / Worst Rams Players

Right, my list (as promised to bridgford ram)

I tried to do a decent list, I bet i've missed people out (going from 97-98) - and i've tried to take in some considerations when picking the numbers, for instance we've had players who haven't played a lot for us and don't deserve the worst, but also the division consideration - for instance Luke Varney was far worse than Fabrizio Ravenelli...etc

Best 25 

1.     Igor Stimac

2.     Stefano Eranio

3.     Mart Poom

4.     Francesco Baiano

5.     Paolo Wanchope

6.     Georgi Kinkladze

7.     Seth Johnson

8.     Aljosa Asanovic

9.     Jacob Laursen

10.  Giles Barnes

11.  Lee Carsley

12.  Chris Powell

13.  Branco Strupar

14.  Kris Commons

15.  Malcolm Christie

16.  Chris Riggott

17.  Grzegorz Rasiak

18.  Inigo Idiakez

19.  Steve Howard

20.  Danny Higginbotham

21.  Rory Delap

22.  Horacio Carbonari

23.  Christian Dailly

24.  Shaun Barker

25.  Matt Oakley

That is the best 25 to my ability, the stand out will obviously be Giles Barnes in at 10 - and that is just because he was unplayable on his day (pre-injuries) and some of the things he produced were magic! 

Worst 25

1.       Claude Davis

2.       Robert Earnshaw

3.       Eddie Lewis

4.       Mikkel Beck

5.       Mauricio Solis

6.       Paul Thirlwell

7.       Noel Whelan

8.       Dean Holdsworth

9.       Dave Walton

10.   Conor Doyle (sorry bud)

11.   Bob Malcolm

12.   Andy Griffin

13.   Tomasz Hajto

14.   Laurent Robert

15.   Luke Varney

16.   Jordan Stewart

17.   Mo Camara

18.   Lee Hendrie

19.   Darren Powell

20.   Ryan Smith

21.   Ruben Zadkovich

22.   Lewis Price

23.   Francois Grenet

24.   Robbie Savage

25.   Fabrizio Ravenelli

I don't think there is any shocks, Ravenelli is in there purely because of the cost - I know he wasn't amazing, but his time here is blown completely out of proportion and we've had a lot of worse players, hit around 1 in 3 in the premier league, but followed it up with a below average season in the (first division) - the cost was just too much, highest earner the clubs ever had! 

Also no loans were in the list, these were all permanently contracted to the club! 

You say that, then include four players who may JUST have scraped 10 league appearances between them!

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Right, my list (as promised to bridgford ram)

I tried to do a decent list, I bet i've missed people out (going from 97-98) - and i've tried to take in some considerations when picking the numbers, for instance we've had players who haven't played a lot for us and don't deserve the worst, but also the division consideration - for instance Luke Varney was far worse than Fabrizio Ravenelli...etc

Best 25 

1.     Igor Stimac

2.     Stefano Eranio

3.     Mart Poom

4.     Francesco Baiano

5.     Paolo Wanchope

6.     Georgi Kinkladze

7.     Seth Johnson

8.     Aljosa Asanovic

9.     Jacob Laursen

10.  Giles Barnes

11.  Lee Carsley

12.  Chris Powell

13.  Branco Strupar

14.  Kris Commons

15.  Malcolm Christie

16.  Chris Riggott

17.  Grzegorz Rasiak

18.  Inigo Idiakez

19.  Steve Howard

20.  Danny Higginbotham

21.  Rory Delap

22.  Horacio Carbonari

23.  Christian Dailly

24.  Shaun Barker

25.  Matt Oakley

That is the best 25 to my ability, the stand out will obviously be Giles Barnes in at 10 - and that is just because he was unplayable on his day (pre-injuries) and some of the things he produced were magic! 

Worst 25

1.       Claude Davis

2.       Robert Earnshaw

3.       Eddie Lewis

4.       Mikkel Beck

5.       Mauricio Solis

6.       Paul Thirlwell

7.       Noel Whelan

8.       Dean Holdsworth

9.       Dave Walton

10.   Conor Doyle (sorry bud)

11.   Bob Malcolm

12.   Andy Griffin

13.   Tomasz Hajto

14.   Laurent Robert

15.   Luke Varney

16.   Jordan Stewart

17.   Mo Camara

18.   Lee Hendrie

19.   Darren Powell

20.   Ryan Smith

21.   Ruben Zadkovich

22.   Lewis Price

23.   Francois Grenet

24.   Robbie Savage

25.   Fabrizio Ravenelli

I don't think there is any shocks, Ravenelli is in there purely because of the cost - I know he wasn't amazing, but his time here is blown completely out of proportion and we've had a lot of worse players, hit around 1 in 3 in the premier league, but followed it up with a below average season in the (first division) - the cost was just too much, highest earner the clubs ever had! 

Also no loans were in the list, these were all permanently contracted to the club!

Ambitious - genuine question: why no Shilton/Mark Wright in your best list? Or were they before you started watching?

Ambitious - genuine question: why no Shilton/Mark Wright in your best list? Or were they before you started watching?

Far before (I said 97-98) that's when I can vaguely remember football anyway, my opinion might be way off on them - but put with what I heard, and what I saw...etc then I can paint a picture but don't know if its right.

since 2003/2004 would of been 10 times more reliable!  

You say that, then include four players who may JUST have scraped 10 league appearances between them!

I meant players that made the odd apperance - Laurent Robert was around the squad, Lewis Price didn't play much (for reason) but he was still here for a season, his distribution was the worst by a mile! Zadkovich (a tad unfair, perhaps) but again was around the squad came in and disappointed and Solis I just remember coming in with the hype of Wanchope and being about as much use as a chocolate fire guard!! 

I meant players that made the odd apperance - Laurent Robert was around the squad, Lewis Price didn't play much (for reason) but he was still here for a season, his distribution was the worst by a mile! Zadkovich (a tad unfair, perhaps) but again was around the squad came in and disappointed and Solis I just remember coming in with the hype of Wanchope and being about as much use as a chocolate fire guard!! 

Hey, it's YOUR list, I'd just be a bit down-hearted if I was judged so harshly for something I didn't do. It wouldn't be too dis-similar to saying Shaun Barker was rubbish last season cos we conceded goals.

Think I can make a team out of mine:

Poom

McGrath

Stimac

McFarland

Asanovic

Eranio

Biaino

Daly

Saunders

Davison

Sadly, it'll take a considerable amount of time to come up with my worst

your best 11 are a man down. who's been sent off?

I'm surprised that no-one mentioned Bad Jones, although he did only 'play' 7 games for us.

I had him in my worst Eddie, but decided against loan players otherwise it would have been 100 worst derby players! He was probably the worst goalie I've ever seen pull on a derby shirt, though didn't he come to us not long after his little lad died? Or are my timings wrong?

I had him in my worst Eddie, but decided against loan players otherwise it would have been 100 worst derby players! He was probably the worst goalie I've ever seen pull on a derby shirt, though didn't he come to us not long after his little lad died? Or are my timings wrong?

His little lad was extremely ill at the time, so i think we should understand he was somewhat preoccupied when he was with us.

He has however, been ***** in a number of other locations.

Best 11 from Hants:

Shilton

Langan                                          mcFarland/Wright                                       Todd                                            C. Powell

Kinkladze                              Rioch                                      Seth                                              Gladys Hinton

George                                    Hector

As for the worst - stand-outs for me from down the years

....Dave McKellar/Brad Jones/Andy Oakes

....Ducrocq  Prior/Matt Carbon  Bragstad/Clod   Jordan Stewart

....Terry Curran       Solis           Burley                  Gordon Hill

....        Derek Hales          Andy Garner

but in truth there are probably 5-10 in each position you could have a reet moan about.

really? name the bad games he played?

People have preconceptions about things. Blatsis hardly played, that's if he even did.

I remember he started the first game of a season, but my thoughts were he wasn't better than what he'd replaced, rather than dreadful.

I think Solis gets a bad rep too. He never had a chance with the "3 non-EU foreigners" rule.

When Poom and Wanchope came in and took their chance immediately, plus having Stimac and Asanovic already there gave him pretty much no chance of establishing himself.

He was a tidy player for Costa Rica - just not as good as the other four mentioned.

Best 11 from Hants:

Shilton

Langan                                          mcFarland/Wright                                       Todd                                            C. Powell

Kinkladze                              Rioch                                      Seth                                              Gladys Hinton

George                                    Hector

As for the worst - stand-outs for me from down the years

....Dave McKellar/Brad Jones/Andy Oakes

....Ducrocq  Prior/Matt Carbon  Bragstad/Clod   Jordan Stewart

....Terry Curran       Solis           Burley                  Gordon Hill

....        Derek Hales          Andy Garner

but in truth there are probably 5-10 in each position you could have a reet moan about.

Tiny little point Hants, but as great a player ooh Mark Wright was for Derby and England, I just can't place him alongside Roy Mac.......

I think I would leave Brad Jones out, just for shear dignity.

He was playing on loan for us during a time where his kid was terminally ill (and went on to die of leukaemia) I don't know how well I would do that job with that hanging over me.

I think I would leave Brad Jones out, just for shear dignity.

He was playing on loan for us during a time where his kid was terminally ill (and went on to die of leukaemia) I don't know how well I would do that job with that hanging over me.

And 'cos you are a dead ringer for him. :p

Archived