Best / Worst Rams Players

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not, I've moved on since then...

"http://bi.gazeta.pl/im/0e/fe/d4/z13958670Q,Beckhamowie" alt="z13958670Q,Beckhamowie">

Brooklyn Beckham is probably the closest lookalike to me possible - it's so bizarre, the kids 13?

Slightly off topic.....Wonder if Brooklyn will hate his parents for naming him after his place of conception?

My two, Rhyl & Skeggy, seem ok about it.............. :blink:

Slightly off topic.....Wonder if Brooklyn will hate his parents for naming him after his place of conception?

My two, Rhyl & Skeggy, seem ok about it.............. :blink:

it the younger Uttox one of yours? Is he Rhyl or Skeggy? Although Skeggy is clearly a girl's name.

I often wonder about inspiration for names. I had aunts called April and May. My next door neighbour named her (destined for a life in prison) son Stafford. I've worked with a Pearl, a Precious and Seredipity and a man named Kim. My brother works with a man named Funky Major, and my friend's new boyfriend is called Monday!

it the younger Uttox one of yours? Is he Rhyl or Skeggy? Although Skeggy is clearly a girl's name.

I often wonder about inspiration for names. I had aunts called April and May. My next door neighbour named her (destined for a life in prison) son Stafford. I've worked with a Pearl, a Precious and Seredipity and a man named Kim. My brother works with a man named Funky Major, and my friend's new boyfriend is called Monday!

No, young uttox is not mine.

A few of the people i work with have strange names, Igors, Marcin, Piotr, Yanka, Romana, Lukaz,........

hi new member here obviously first post....i started watching derby in the colin murphy era so im pretty old.....

my best are in no particular order

1. igor stimac

2.stefano eranio

3.frankie banana

4.dean saunders

5.paul goddard

6.paulo wanchope

7.horatio carbonnari

8.aliosa asanovic

9.georgie kinkladze

10.peter shilton

11.mart poom

12.ted mcminn

13.mark wright

14.dean sturridge

15.malcom christie

16.george williams

17.steve buckley

18.craig short

19.robbie van der laan

20.ron willams

21.ian taylor

22.paul peschisolido

23.tom huddlestone

24.taribo west.

25.paul mgrath

worst

1.lars bohinen

2.mikkel beck

3.pierre ducrocq

4.francois grenet

5.craig  burley

6.bjorn otto bragstad

7.vic moreland

8.billy caskey

9.jonathon hunt

10.vassilas boborkis

11.sean flynn

12.john harkes

13.darren wrack

14.andy comyn

15.roy carrol

16.paul connoly

17.claude davis

18.robearnshaw

19.tyrone mears

19mile sterjowski

20.luke varney

21.eddie lewis

22.craig fagan

23.andy griffin

24.rob malcom

25.lauren robert

hi new member here obviously first post....i started watching derby in the colin murphy era so im pretty old.....

Welcome fella.

So your first 4 managers were,

Colin Murphy

Tommy Docherty

Colin Addison &

John Newman

Jeezus feckin christ.......spare a thought for those who moan about Nigel Clough.

If they'd lived through that lot they'd be building a statue for Nige to go next to his old man right now.

Best......

Mackay

Hector

Mcfarland

Todd

George

Gemmill

Hinton

Carlin

Rioch

Stimac

Saunders

Worst......

Davis

Malcolm

Hajto

Doyle

Masson

Ramage A

Bragstadt

Beck

Carroll

Thirlwell

Griffin

Kenna

really? name the bad games he played?

People have preconceptions about things. Blatsis hardly played, that's if he even did.

I watched him against Newcastle and the guy was so out of his league it was unreal. He looked like a someone whp we plucked out of the crowd. I have just looked and he only played a few times but that game I saw him was terrible.

I agree with Solis he was really good and I have lots of mates who were youth players at the time and said he was exellent, the problem was only 3 non EU players could play and them spots where taken.

Forgot to mention Charlie George. Unbelievable in the 75/76 season. Possibly the best player in the country till Denis Smith puy him into row 5 of the paddock.

A foul and injury which some observers believe cost us the double that season.

It may be the distance of time and an aging memory but I'm glad it's not only me! I can see in my mind's eye Denis Smith deliberately hacking him. At that point we had a real chance of the double at a time when doing the double really meant a special team. We got beaten in the FA cup semi final without Charlie and only really played properly and won again in the last match of the season, away against Ipswich - Franny Lee's last ever game. Charlie George's absence from a team stuffed full of internationals had that much of an effect. We still finished 4th, I think. But that tackle by Smith effectively marked the end of an era and I have always hated him for it.

But more than that there was nothing Charlie couldn't do. He had as hard a shot as you would want, could control a ball in an instant, could play through balls within inches; he was good in the air and could tackle with he best of them; he could dribble and beat players in a moment; he had more imagination about the football he played than anyone I have seen, and I include George Best in that. It's why I wrote earlier that he was the most complete fotballer I ever saw in a Derby shirt. But like many a genius there was something lacking between his ears, unlike Mcfarland or Todd or Hector, which is why I would put them higher in the all time great Rams list. They also played for longer. But if he was around now he would be worth trillions.

Absolutely spot on Ilkley, whilst there are players that I would rate as greater players for the club than Charlie I would always rate him as the best footballer that I've ever seen play for the Rams. 

Absolutely spot on Ilkley, whilst there are players that I would rate as greater players for the club than Charlie I would always rate him as the best footballer that I've ever seen play for the Rams. 

Charlie George was undoubtedly the most gifted DCFC player I have seen- his vision was unbelievable. And no player ever fouled him twice in the same game, he certainly knew how to look after himself !! 

King Kev was the most skilful for me, but Roy Mac was the most complete footballerIMHO. Only 5ft 11in, he jumped 8ft 6in, his timing in the air and in the tackle was flawless, he read the game well and could play a decent pass or dribble the ball out of defence with equal aplomb, and was not out of place at centre forward if we were chasing the game late on. The best ball playing defender I have seen - but equally ruthless when he needed to be. His timing meant this was rarely necessary, but make no mistake, he was as hard as nails when necessary.

Fuertes actually had a lot of promise, and was a decent player - but, he was an illegal immigrant and wouldn't let back into the country (bizarre) but as a player he was good, one of our best at the time!

He got his permit from a back street abroad ;) was rumours at the time of a dodgy passport!

I'm probably not far off you're age then can, it's all in the memory just needs a bit of a look back to get the cob webs off!

I always thought old Jacob (Laursen) was another good one but don't think I've seen him get a mention?

I watched him against Newcastle and the guy was so out of his league it was unreal. He looked like a someone whp we plucked out of the crowd. I have just looked and he only played a few times but that game I saw him was terrible.

I agree with Solis he was really good and I have lots of mates who were youth players at the time and said he was exellent, the problem was only 3 non EU players could play and them spots where taken.

You don't play 110 times for your country without having something about you (although there are many on here who reckon Beckham's 115 caps are 115 too many)

Charlie George was undoubtedly the most gifted DCFC player I have seen- his vision was unbelievable. And no player ever fouled him twice in the same game, he certainly knew how to look after himself !! 

King Kev was the most skilful for me, but Roy Mac was the most complete footballerIMHO. Only 5ft 11in, he jumped 8ft 6in, his timing in the air and in the tackle was flawless, he read the game well and could play a decent pass or dribble the ball out of defence with equal aplomb, and was not out of place at centre forward if we were chasing the game late on. The best ball playing defender I have seen - but equally ruthless when he needed to be. His timing meant this was rarely necessary, but make no mistake, he was as hard as nails when necessary.

I remember Jackie Stamps describing Roy McFarland as "The world's best centre-forward, gone to waste".

Archived