Best / Worst Rams Players

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The worst I have ever seen - still makes me mad even now - is Mick Coop.  The only player I have ever seen who was patently disinterested in playing for Derby, but he was pre 1988 too.  The worst list is a mix of players who didn't play well and those who abused their undoubted talent:

1) Paul Thirlwell

2) Mikkel Beck

3) Paul Kitson

4) Lee Morris

5) Dean Holdsworth

6) Tyrone Mears

7) Giles Barnes

8) Benny Feilhaber

9) Bob Malcolm

10) Andy Todd

11) Junior

12) Blessing Kaku

What about Commons when he knew Celtic were interested?I t was obvious he didn't care for us in his performances after that

Are we talking bad signings or bad players? Cos I think some of these are a bit harsh...

Benny Felihaber barely played a game for us... I thought he was a fundamentally tidy player and never got a chance to prove himself...

Lee Morris again was fairly decent, just got destroyed by injury...

What about Commons when he knew Celtic were interested?I t was obvious he didn't care for us in his performances after that

Reasonable point, but Coop was disinterested from the start and never improved.  Still don't know why he bothered.  At least KC had his head turned after some good and very good spells.  And scored against Florist

I always thought junior did a good job as he was on a free and we had no money at the time, he helped us stay up when we first got him. Also Giles Barnes helped us get promoted how can he be one of the worst

Think he included Barnes as one of the ones with undoubted talent who wasted it... In Giles' case by thinking he was a LOT better than his injury-riddled body could handle...

Are we talking bad signings or bad players? Cos I think some of these are a bit harsh...

Benny Felihaber barely played a game for us... I thought he was a fundamentally tidy player and never got a chance to prove himself...

Lee Morris again was fairly decent, just got destroyed by injury...

Fair points but my criteria were those who didn't play well not taking into account the reasons they didn't play well.  I agree that Feilhaber might have been a better player, but I don't think he was; and Lee Morris was severely hampered by injury, could have been good, but wasn't

I always thought junior did a good job as he was on a free and we had no money at the time, he helped us stay up when we first got him. Also Giles Barnes helped us get promoted how can he be one of the worst

Giles Barnes is in my list for similar reasons that Tyrone Mears and Paul Kitson are there. Not because they were bad players, they weren't, they were (potentially or actually) very good players.  My view is that they wasted their talents when they were at Derby, no doubt for a variety of reasons some of which may not have been their fault.  But they could each have been better players still for us precisely because they were talented.  Therefore my disappointment was greater.

My memory of Junior is the same as yours - he was good at the start and then disappeared.

Forgot to mention Charlie George. Unbelievable in the 75/76 season. Possibly the best player in the country till Denis Smith puy him into row 5 of the paddock.

My Dad has watched the Rams since the early 60s and often talks fondly about players like Nish, McFarland, Todd, Hector and Hinton. I've never heard him mention George in the same light. This thread has surprised me with the fond mentions of him.

My Dad has watched the Rams since the early 60s and often talks fondly about players like Nish, McFarland, Todd, Hector and Hinton. I've never heard him mention George in the same light. This thread has surprised me with the fond mentions of him.

It may be the distance of time and an aging memory but I'm glad it's not only me! I can see in my mind's eye Denis Smith deliberately hacking him. At that point we had a real chance of the double at a time when doing the double really meant a special team. We got beaten in the FA cup semi final without Charlie and only really played properly and won again in the last match of the season, away against Ipswich - Franny Lee's last ever game. Charlie George's absence from a team stuffed full of internationals had that much of an effect. We still finished 4th, I think. But that tackle by Smith effectively marked the end of an era and I have always hated him for it.

But more than that there was nothing Charlie couldn't do. He had as hard a shot as you would want, could control a ball in an instant, could play through balls within inches; he was good in the air and could tackle with he best of them; he could dribble and beat players in a moment; he had more imagination about the football he played than anyone I have seen, and I include George Best in that. It's why I wrote earlier that he was the most complete fotballer I ever saw in a Derby shirt. But like many a genius there was something lacking between his ears, unlike Mcfarland or Todd or Hector, which is why I would put them higher in the all time great Rams list. They also played for longer. But if he was around now he would be worth trillions.

+

Mark Wright

Igor Stimac

Stefano Eranio

Peter Shilton

Paul McGrath

-

Jonathan Hunt

Nick Pickering

Lee Morris

Bjorn Otto Bragstad

Mikkel Beck

Adding to 10 each:

+

Dean Saunders

Paul Goddard

Chris Powell

Paulo Wanchope

Aljosa Asanovic

-

Martin Kuhl

John Harkes

Francois Grenet

Andy Oakes

Craig Burley

Evening everybody, I just wanted to give a bit of an update of where we are with this.  Firstly thank you everyone who has made this a great thread, but more importantly to those who have voted.  I have captured votes from the following members - I have also dropped some messages out just clarifying how people want me to capture their posts as votes.

Votes included are as follows

Best Worst

Eatonram 6 votes for best / 1 vote for worst

G STAR RAM 10 3

eranio20 5 5

spike 1969 5 5

ramexpat 6 4

CumbrianRam 5 5

midtableforever 5 5

cisse 5  

DCFCfranco 10 10

maydrakin 10 10

mwram1973 5 5

Gouloooooooooze 10 10

Ramble On 3 1

Hinzy9 5 5

Derbydave96 7 4

Asanovic 3 4

mostyn6 10 10

Bridgford Ram 25 25 i

lkleyram 15 12

abertawe_ram 25 25

North_Stand_Ram 17 12

If you think you have voted but aren't listed, let me know.

If you still want to vote, again, just let me know.

As far as the voting for best player goes, we have so far had votes for 50 different players.

The top three have 374 points, 348 points and 311 points, so it is still wide open.

The voting for worst player is more open with votes for 69 different players.  Whilst there is a couple of runaway leaders for this one, the rest of the top 10 is very close.

I think there are just two players who appear in both the best and worst voting so far.

I'd like to do it with players I'm old enough to have see … but after getting 10 players in to my list I realised just how bad Derby players have been since I've been around! So I'm going to guess which order all of our big name players go in.

Best

Stimac

Wright

Saunders

Eranio

Baiano

McMinn

Poom

Shilton

Asanovic

Wanchope

Strupar

Carbonari (I assume he was good because my Dad always calls me Horacio)

Sturridge

Worst

Beck

Eddie Lewis[ - these two only go second and third

Claude Davis[- because I've actually seen them

Fuertes

Blastis

Candido Costa

John Harkes

Right, my list (as promised to bridgford ram)

I tried to do a decent list, I bet i've missed people out (going from 97-98) - and i've tried to take in some considerations when picking the numbers, for instance we've had players who haven't played a lot for us and don't deserve the worst, but also the division consideration - for instance Luke Varney was far worse than Fabrizio Ravenelli...etc

Best 25 

1.     Igor Stimac

2.     Stefano Eranio

3.     Mart Poom

4.     Francesco Baiano

5.     Paolo Wanchope

6.     Georgi Kinkladze

7.     Seth Johnson

8.     Aljosa Asanovic

9.     Jacob Laursen

10.  Giles Barnes

11.  Lee Carsley

12.  Chris Powell

13.  Branco Strupar

14.  Kris Commons

15.  Malcolm Christie

16.  Chris Riggott

17.  Grzegorz Rasiak

18.  Inigo Idiakez

19.  Steve Howard

20.  Danny Higginbotham

21.  Rory Delap

22.  Horacio Carbonari

23.  Christian Dailly

24.  Shaun Barker

25.  Matt Oakley

That is the best 25 to my ability, the stand out will obviously be Giles Barnes in at 10 - and that is just because he was unplayable on his day (pre-injuries) and some of the things he produced were magic! 

Worst 25

1.       Claude Davis

2.       Robert Earnshaw

3.       Eddie Lewis

4.       Mikkel Beck

5.       Mauricio Solis

6.       Paul Thirlwell

7.       Noel Whelan

8.       Dean Holdsworth

9.       Dave Walton

10.   Conor Doyle (sorry bud)

11.   Bob Malcolm

12.   Andy Griffin

13.   Tomasz Hajto

14.   Laurent Robert

15.   Luke Varney

16.   Jordan Stewart

17.   Mo Camara

18.   Lee Hendrie

19.   Darren Powell

20.   Ryan Smith

21.   Ruben Zadkovich

22.   Lewis Price

23.   Francois Grenet

24.   Robbie Savage

25.   Fabrizio Ravenelli

I don't think there is any shocks, Ravenelli is in there purely because of the cost - I know he wasn't amazing, but his time here is blown completely out of proportion and we've had a lot of worse players, hit around 1 in 3 in the premier league, but followed it up with a below average season in the (first division) - the cost was just too much, highest earner the clubs ever had! 

Also no loans were in the list, these were all permanently contracted to the club! 

I'd like to do it with players I'm old enough to have see … but after getting 10 players in to my list I realised just how bad Derby players have been since I've been around! So I'm going to guess which order all of our big name players go in.

Best

Stimac

Wright

Saunders

Eranio

Baiano

McMinn

Poom

Shilton

Asanovic

Wanchope

Strupar

Carbonari (I assume he was good because my Dad always calls me Horacio)

Sturridge

Worst

Beck

Eddie Lewis[ - these two only go second and third

Claude Davis[- because I've actually seen them

Fuertes

Blastis

Candido Costa

John Harkes

Fuertes actually had a lot of promise, and was a decent player - but, he was an illegal immigrant and wouldn't let back into the country (bizarre) but as a player he was good, one of our best at the time! 

Fuertes actually had a lot of promise, and was a decent player - but, he was an illegal immigrant and wouldn't let back into the country (bizarre) but as a player he was good, one of our best at the time!

You see, that's how unreliable my list is. I knew that story, I just couldn't remember the player's name.

I've missed so many good times as a Derby fan, Malcolm Christie is the earliest player I can remember for fack sake and even he's a blur :(

Archived