Best / Worst Rams Players

I stumbled across another clubs forum site via Wikipedia the other week. They had asked fans via the forum to name up to 100 players (ambitious IMO) who they felt were the clubs best. These votes were then collated with each 1st place being given 100 points, 2nd place 99 points etc. it formed a really interesting run down. (if someone only offered 10 names the points were distributed 100, 99.... Through to 91).

I also think it would be interesting to do the same for the worst players.

This is not a thread to start collecting your best and worst players, merely to see if there is any interest and it is worth me kicking it off. The final list could become the official DCFCFans best and worst player lists.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

10 best that would be in the mix (all seen)

Todd, macfarland, hector, saunders, mark wright, asanovich, baiano, Mcgrath, Wo Bobby (for committment) Dave Mckay

A few worst candidates.

Nick Pickering, Mick Coope,

You could be here all day listing players that you liked or disliked.

I have been watching since 1984 and in my opinion our best players (who I think could/did play at a higher standard than The Rams):-

Peter Shilton

Mark Wright

Dean Saunders

Igor Stimac

Mart Poom

Aljosa Asanovic

Francesco Baiano

Stefano Eranio

Paul McGrath

Jacob Laursen (think he was very under rated)

Sure I have missed a few but these are the ones which come instantly to mind

Worst players, well we have had so many it is unbelievable! In terms of ability against price paid:-

Bjorn Otto Bragstad

Lee Morris

Rob Earnshaw (although to be fair he wasn't given much of a chance)

I thought Lee Morris was decent

I did until we signed him for £3million

Never really recovered from his injury and a quick look at the list of clubs he went on to play for after us should give some indication of how much he managed to impress

Best I've seen is so depressing compared to the older generations, I'm not even going to bother.

All time best you've got Bloomer, Docherty and then a few others from the Cup team and the League winning sides (no one from outside those teams should come close).

As for the worst, I'll probably say that Mick Coope guy. He played about 15 or 20 years before I was born, so obviously I didn't see him play, but I've never heard such universal condemnation of a player from any time period.

Pereplotkins seems a bit odd for a player who didn't even put in 90 minutes.

Out of principle, you have to have someone from the Premier League season. It's tough to say who was the stand out worst player - it's either Claude Davis or Eddie Lewis for me.

Anyone who was unfortunate enough to be a season ticket holder for the 1983-84 relegation to Div 3 season prior to the saviour, Arthur Cox turning the ship around had the opportunity to see some ropey specimens.

For starters, our marquee signing that year was Bobby Campbell from Bradford City (who we went for over Kerry Dixon from Reading who was signed by Chelsea).

Brian Attley, John Barton and Mike Brolly stick in the memory

On the positive Bobby Davison emerged from the wreckage!

Along the way, for every George Williams there was a Steve Cross. For every Asanovic and Baiano there was a Marino Rahmberg and Mauricio Solis.

My worst in the last 15 years are:

Mikel Beck

Con Blatsis

Bjorn Otto Bragstad

Andre Pereplotkins

and a special mention for Ruben Zadkovich for managing to stay on our books for 18 months without anyone knowing what had actually happend to him or where he was!

For good players in my lifetime their are 3 distict era's. Clough/Makay where we were laden with great players. Too obvious to comment on.

Cox top flight era where again we had some really good footballers.

But the Smith Prem era is the one that captures the imagination because never before had we had so many class players from so many nations. So I am again going to stick to the last 15 years and my best are:

Stimac

Eranio

Baiano

Asanovic

.....and of course Wanchope!

They were all a delight to watch on their day when they are played in the same team during 1997-98 season.

Anyone who was unfortunate enough to be a season ticket holder for the 1983-84 relegation to Div 3 season prior to the saviour, Arthur Cox turning the ship around had the opportunity to see some ropey specimens.

For starters, our marquee signing that year was Bobby Campbell from Bradford City (who we went for over Kerry Dixon from Reading who was signed by Chelsea).

Brian Attley, John Barton and Mike Brolly stick in the memory

On the positive Bobby Davison emerged from the wreckage!

Along the way, for every George Williams there was a Steve Cross. For every Asanovic and Baiano there was a Marino Rahmberg and Mauricio Solis.

My worst in the last 15 years are:

Mikel Beck

Con Blatsis

Bjorn Otto Bragstad

Andre Pereplotkins

and a special mention for Ruben Zadkovich for managing to stay on our books for 18 months without anyone knowing what had actually happend to him or where he was!

For good players in my lifetime their are 3 distict era's. Clough/Makay where we were laden with great players. Too obvious to comment on.

Cox top flight era where again we had some really good footballers.

But the Smith Prem era is the one that captures the imagination because never before had we had so many class players from so many nations. So I am again going to stick to the last 15 years and my best are:

Stimac

Eranio

Baiano

Asanovic

.....and of course Wanchope!

They were all a delight to watch on their day when they are played in the same team during 1997-98 season.

They never did.

You are right on the Asanovic front. He started that season but left after the first few games. The rest of them were regulars that season.

I am aware of that. The only reason I knew was that I was asked exactly that question a few years ago, and I researched it.

Best:

Hector, Mackay, McFarland, George, Todd Major

Worst:

Clod, Beck, Chiedozie, Foletti, Kaku or Todd Minor

Forgot to mention Charlie George. Unbelievable in the 75/76 season. Possibly the best player in the country till Denis Smith puy him into row 5 of the paddock.

Convinced we would have won the double if it hadn't been for that.

Archived