Best / Worst Rams Players

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And El Hamdoui is a ridiculous suggestion, probably the best striker we've had since the turn of relegation from the premier league for ability (not the year out) 

He is at Fiorentina now and secured a large money move to Ajax in the past were he was still banging them in once every 2 games - the highest placed player (currently) that has played for the club, in the footballing ladder (could argue celtic, and commons though)

I've only selected players I've actually seen live and with my own eyes, who were owned by Derby County and played a minimum number of games. I cannot see how anyone can pick Blatsis or Daino when they never really figured.

Best

1.Dean Saunders

2.Mark Wright

3.Ted McMinn

4.Mart Poom

5.Igor Stimac

6.Paul McGrath

7.Stefano Eranio

8.Aljosa Asanovic

9.Chris Powell

10.Marco Gabbiadini

Worst

1.Mikkel Beck

2.Claude Davis

3.Bob Malcolm

4.Paul Connolly

5.Jamie Vincent

6.Martin Albrechtsen

7.Manel

8.Francois Grenet

9.Luke Varney

10.Darren Powell

I will be honest and say I have never seen a player who I thought was world class, or a player who was a top premier league player at Derby.

Started watching when Baiano, Eranio, Stimac...etc were playing in their prime, but taking them out of context they would have never broke into one of the top sides in the country. 

However, we've seen horrible players too, but logically speaking the worst players to play for Derby County would have never played, so that makes it a hard choice in itself!

I think some people are naming people crucially unfair - Sammon is one of our best players currently, so you could put pretty much all the current team in the worst players we've ever had. McEveley was our left back in our promotion season, and wasn't as bad as Camara - Miller whilst not a trier was one of our best that season, a lot more names could be put in! 

Claude Davis was very poor, but there were worst keeping him in the squad - obviously! 

Really?? :rolleyes:

Really?? :rolleyes:

I was going to pick him on this too but forgot.

Fielding is better than Sammon

Ledgzins is better than Sammon

Forsyth is better than Sammon

Buxton is better than Sammon

Keogh is better than Sammon

Barker is better than Sammon

Brayford is better than Sammon

Bryson is better than Sammon

Hendrick is better than Sammon

Hughes is better than Sammon

Ward is better than Sammon

Coutts is better than Sammon

Ben Davies is better than Sammon

Bailey is better than Sammon

Martin is better than Sammon

Lee Grant is better than Sammon

Jacobs is better than Sammon

O'Brien is better than Sammon

Sammon is better than Doyle.

I will be honest and say I have never seen a player who I thought was world class, or a player who was a top premier league player at Derby.

Started watching when Baiano, Eranio, Stimac...etc were playing in their prime, but taking them out of context they would have never broke into one of the top sides in the country. 

However, we've seen horrible players too, but logically speaking the worst players to play for Derby County would have never played, so that makes it a hard choice in itself!

I think some people are naming people crucially unfair - Sammon is one of our best players currently, so you could put pretty much all the current team in the worst players we've ever had. McEveley was our left back in our promotion season, and wasn't as bad as Camara - Miller whilst not a trier was one of our best that season, a lot more names could be put in! 

Claude Davis was very poor, but there were worst keeping him in the squad - obviously! 

The same Eranio that played nearly a 100 games for Milan and I also think a champions cup final ?

He would have been an addition to any of the top sides, even if it was a squad player, one of the most gifted players to grace PP, his touch and vision were on a different wave length to many of the other players.  I think we missed out of europe only by a few points in his first season, and if you look at the squad we had, the main reason we did so well was down to the foreign players at that time.

In fact its criminal to mention him and the bald Irish man in the same post, Im not saying Sammon is the worst player I have seen btw, just that if he is the best, we are buggared :-)

Sammon is one of our best players, simple as that. 

He is our best striker - by a long way, and an integral part of our team.

Even with the new striker coming in, he'll still be the leading the attack more often than not. 

Ambitious : "I will be honest and say I have never seen a player who I thought was world class, or a player who was a top premier league player at Derby."

You were unlucky to have started watching just a little too late into the 1990s :  Mark Wright was selected at centre back in the tournament's " World XI" at the end of the 1990 World Cup - and he was the ONLY Rams centre back IMO who has come close to challenging Roy Mac as the best Rams centre back.

And yes, I have not forgotten Todd, Stimac, McGrath, West and Yates, all of whom would be behind Leon Leuty by all accounts .

Ahhh Dean Yates, so underrated.

Been a Ram since 95, so haven't had the honour of seeing the legends of the seventies unfortunately.

When I started going to games in the 95/96 season; Dean Sturridge was unstoppable scoring goals for fun at this level and then he went on to tear Arsenal to shreds countless times both at Highbury and PP.

Lee Carsley deserves a mention, he got alot of stick during his time but he and Seth Johnson are players the club would thrive on at the present day.

Like I said in my previous post, Chris Powell never got replaced. People always mention Stimac when Jim Smiths signings crop up, but Chrissy Powell is up there, as to is Van Der Laan.

A player I don't think has been mentioned....Paul Simpson.

Depends where you draw the line to what my point was eluded to - if Sammon is ****, then barely anyone in our team even touches average, and most fall into the catagory as utter ****. 

it's all relative at the end of the day - Sammon will play more games than most of our team next season, and has been instrumental in us finishing 10th IMO.

Covers more ground than any striker I've seen in a Derby shirt, always offers an angel, always making runs and always working hard for the team.

There is absolutely no-one in this division who I could think of would of chased Gillett down, battled him (fairly) off the ball and set up the goal against forest. He is integral to our team, give me him over 10 Martins who are technically better but don't move 1/8th as much and I guarantee that you ask centre backs in this division if they would like to play against Sammon, and they'll all say no - who wants to be hassled, chased and bossed about - he creates chance, and he is for me the reason we're allowed to be so dangerous in the final 3rd.

The game against Peterborough was probably our performance of the season, along with Hughes Vs Leeds and Hendrick Vs Boro! 

Nobody would dispute his work ethic. Unfortunately at this level he needs to have more to his game. Poor control, poor in the air, poor finishing etc. We can never truly progress while Sammon is the spearhead of the attack.

Depends where you draw the line to what my point was eluded to - if Sammon is ****, then barely anyone in our team even touches average, and most fall into the catagory as utter ****.

it's all relative at the end of the day - Sammon will play more games than most of our team next season, and has been instrumental in us finishing 10th IMO.

Covers more ground than any striker I've seen in a Derby shirt, always offers an angel, always making runs and always working hard for the team.

There is absolutely no-one in this division who I could think of would of chased Gillett down, battled him (fairly) off the ball and set up the goal against forest. He is integral to our team, give me him over 10 Martins who are technically better but don't move 1/8th as much and I guarantee that you ask centre backs in this division if they would like to play against Sammon, and they'll all say no - who wants to be hassled, chased and bossed about - he creates chance, and he is for me the reason we're allowed to be so dangerous in the final 3rd.

The game against Peterborough was probably our performance of the season, along with Hughes Vs Leeds and Hendrick Vs Boro!

I missed the Peterborough game, he must have been mustard if this convinced you he is one of the best player(s) at the club, ill have to remember to put it in the diary next season so I don't miss it again.

Martin will be a good addition next season, he might not run around but can control a ball, and link the play between midfield and attack, and can score the odd goal.

Nobody would dispute his work ethic. Unfortunately at this level he needs to have more to his game. Poor control, poor in the air, poor finishing etc. We can never truly progress while Sammon is the spearhead of the attack.

I strongly disagree, but hey ho... He WILL be a integral part of our team next season though - I'd put my house on it, whether people like it or not he will be in that team a lot more often than not.

As I said, for me he is key to our team and how we play - obviously for Clough too. He has managed to get himself into the national side, and not only that forced a few appearances out of it too, and has had good reviews from all parties.

I really like Sammon, make no mistake about it - I make no excuses about it either. He is our best striker by a long way.  

Ok, I have votes from 17 members so far with 44 players mentioned in the 'best' voting and 54 in the 'worst'. Only one player currently features in both lists.

I'll send some messages out tomorrow encouraging people who have voted for best 5 / worst 5 to try and extend their picks to a top 10 or beyond, and also to people who have mentioned players on this thread without making an official list of players from the last 25 years.

Ok, I have votes from 17 members so far with 44 players mentioned in the 'best' voting and 54 in the 'worst'. Only one player currently features in both lists.

I'll send some messages out tomorrow encouraging people who have voted for best 5 / worst 5 to try and extend their picks to a top 10 or beyond, and also to people who have mentioned players on this thread without making an official list of players from the last 25 years.

I found this hard, in part because the 25 years limit starts in 1988 and the best players and teams I saw were generally before that (though not exclusively).  The best pure footballer I ever saw in a Rams shirt was Charlie George.  For a season and a bit he was untouchable.  Roy McFarland was the best overall Rams player I have seen but the person I would pick now who would alter our team in an instant would be Archie Gemmill, not only for his genuine world class ability but also for his character. Toddy, Hector and Mackay would also feature in a best top 10 for me

But as I can't have any of them:

Best - both as footballers and contributors to the team/club

1) Igor Stimac

2) Peter Shilton

3) Mark Wright

4) Dean Saunders

5) Robbie van de Laan

6) Mart Poom

7) Eranio

8) Kinkladze

9) Steve Howard

10) Paul Peschisolido

11) Chris Powell

12) Baiano

13) Tommy Johnson

14) Asanovic

15) Kris Commons

There are loads of others I've loved watching - Paul McGrath, Idiakez, Carbonari, Sturridge, Wanchope, Riggott, Laursen, Darren Moore, Marcus Tudgay, Hulse etc etc

The worst I have ever seen - still makes me mad even now - is Mick Coop.  The only player I have ever seen who was patently disinterested in playing for Derby, but he was pre 1988 too.  The worst list is a mix of players who didn't play well and those who abused their undoubted talent:

1) Paul Thirlwell

2) Mikkel Beck

3) Paul Kitson

4) Lee Morris

5) Dean Holdsworth

6) Tyrone Mears

7) Giles Barnes

8) Benny Feilhaber

9) Bob Malcolm

10) Andy Todd

11) Junior

12) Blessing Kaku

I've only selected players I've actually seen live and with my own eyes, who were owned by Derby County and played a minimum number of games. I cannot see how anyone can pick Blatsis or Daino when they never really figured.

Best

1.Dean Saunders

2.Mark Wright

3.Ted McMinn

4.Mart Poom

5.Igor Stimac

6.Paul McGrath

7.Stefano Eranio

8.Aljosa Asanovic

9.Chris Powell

10.Marco Gabbiadini

Worst

1.Mikkel Beck

2.Claude Davis

3.Bob Malcolm

4.Paul Connolly

5.Jamie Vincent

6.Martin Albrechtsen

7.Manel

8.Francois Grenet

9.Luke Varney

10.Darren Powell

I typed Paul Connolly, but I actually meant Andy Griffin. I feel sick that I forgot him!

Archived