Give Clough 10 years?

rad1919

Are these the saleable young assets you didn't think should have played against Wolves,as part of a 'lightweight' midfield (though I noticed you didn't say which giants you would have played in their stead-Ben Davies perhaps?).I also noticed that you didn't mention a young,strong Hendrick,but referred to him as a "20 year old" -funnily enough the same age as the player that had performed well for most of the year.

We'll just have to beg to differ on the overall quality of the other players.I know which squad I'd prefer,by a distance.Ditto the manager.

think you've got me confused with someone else there Ramblur 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/tongue' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':P' />

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I disagree. Four years ago, we had a ***** manager. We had several players who went on to be pivotal and even have renewed contracts under Clough! Just to remind you; Bywater, Leacock, Pearson, McEveley, Teale (all Davies signings), Davies, Green, Commons, Hulse, Savage (all Jewell signings) were vital players for Clough. He relied on them and renewed contracts for most of them.

To say 35 players werent interested in a general and sweeping statement, and one that is inaccurate.

He probably only renewed the contracts of many of those simply because there was no money to replace them.He couldn't ditch them all at once.

OK, he's a better manager than Jewell, there I've said it.

He's better than one of the worst ever managers in our history.

So lets keep an average to below average manager because there's a one in twenty chance that the next manager is as bad as Jewell.

He probably only renewed the contracts of many of those simply because there was no money to replace them.He couldn't ditch them all at once.

that is something we'll never know, but given that he didn't renew any within the first couple of seasons would lead me to say maybe he thought they were better than they were and then rightly (in my opinion) realised that they were damaged by the recent history of the club and got rid. I don't think anyone other than Savage saw out their contracts, Leacock, Bywater and Pearson were all paid off if I remember, which highlights a waste of resource.

Clough got rid of all of those except Davies (circumstances still unknown) and Green, Hulse and Commons who all went for bigger and better contracts.

Clough "relied on them"

Really?

YES, I'd say that each of those players listed went on to play 50+ games for Derby under Clough. I'll edit this cos I think maybe all apart from McEveley.

I think we should get rid of Clough too - save me some bloody money! once he goes, I'm gone too..

Being a skint mid-table side with stability, with a few connections within the club is bad enough.

Being a skint mid-table (hopefully) side with no stability with a manager who doesn't give a toss about the club and only about his career and a complete over hall, perhaps destroying the hard work done by the academy would be too much for me - either way I wouldn't feel the same about the club.

I think we should get rid of Clough too - save me some bloody money! once he goes, I'm gone too..

Being a skint mid-table side with stability, with a few connections within the club is bad enough.

Being a skint mid-table (hopefully) side with no stability with a manager who doesn't give a toss about the club and only about his career and a complete over hall, perhaps destroying the hard work done by the academy would be too much for me - either way I wouldn't feel the same about the club.

I actually know people who were Derby fans, then supported Forest once Brian Clough went there.. I didnt think it was possible as they changed allegiances before I was born and I dont know for a fact that they were really Derby fans.

So, you're actually a Clough fan then Ambitious? A bit like that poster who was a Derby fan when Savage was here but not anymore?

I actually know people who were Derby fans, then supported Forest once Brian Clough went there.. I didnt think it was possible as they changed allegiances before I was born and I dont know for a fact that they were really Derby fans.

So, you're actually a Clough fan then Ambitious? A bit like that poster who was a Derby fan when Savage was here but not anymore?

I think there are floating fans who if derby a doing well watch derby. If forest are doing well watch them.l Can't get my head round that though.

No, quite the opposite really!

For me it's easy to appreciate what is being tried here, and what Clough is trying to do - I also like the fact he is the son of our greatest ever manager, and he has stability, I also like the fact he isn't interested in doing his coaching badges so it means that he can't be snapped up by another club, or look for a different job - he has his heart and mind set on this job.

Let's say if the board was to sack Clough and the whole of the backroom staff, it would be a bit of a blow to my own personal motivation to going to games, I don't always agree with Clough but I am bright enough to know that in some cases it doesn't matter what he does, he is always up against it. We have no right to be anywhere close to the play-offs, or even competing for the play-offs, we can barely afford to buy proven championship players, and if we do it's usually 1 proven signing per year! This wouldn't change with a new manager, whoever comes in is going to be up against it, and will struggle with the constraints currently on the club.

Alternatively if the board spent the money that meant that on paper we was in the top 6 teams in the division, so I mean in terms of Leicester/Hull/Cardiff/Wolves/Bolton spending and we was in our current position, then I wouldn't be happy, but since our position is more like Huddersfield/Charlton/Millwall why do WE feel like we should be a top 6 team. There is about 10 teams in this division with double our wage bill - if you give someone 500 pound and someone 250 pound and tell them to go buy the same product, who will 9/10 end up with the better product? baring poor judgement it's always going to be the one with more money - and same for football managers.

Clough fit's DCFC perfectly..

The whole set up is mediocre.. owners, staff, stadium, fans, players, kit.. All mediocre.

Us and teams like Ipswich and Sheff Wed.. Mediocre.

Should we keep Clough for another 10 years? Yeh why not.. We won't go up or down and we'll retain our position as a competitve NPC club. Every fan's dream.

I'd happily have Nigel here for 10 years, football for me is still, and I hope will always be a romanticism and I believe Nigel is the last of a dieing breed of people involved in the business who has a genuine care for football and what it means than out right success and results.

Nigel has done an admirable job at Derby in my opinion, I believe he is far more frustrated the majority of the times with the contraints he faces as a manager than supporters are with the results and I feel for him.

It will be a sad day when Nigel leaves the club irrespective of his father and irrespective of the circumstances he leaves in.

Clough fit's DCFC perfectly..

The whole set up is mediocre.. owners, staff, stadium, fans, players, kit.. All mediocre.

Us and teams like Ipswich and Sheff Wed.. Mediocre.

Should we keep Clough for another 10 years? Yeh why not.. We won't go up or down and we'll retain our position as a competitve NPC club. Every fan's dream.

A new slate? completely.. we've only been in pride park about 20 years, should we knock moor farm down as well.. suppose that's average too.

It is a depressing thought that many of us will be dead before Clough stops being Derby manager.

Depressing that I'll never get to see DCFC in the PL ever again then..

It would be interesting to see the type of player NC would go for if he had the same amount of money as say Leicester City..

My opinion, clough isn't going to get us to the premier league. Yes he is trying to build a team over as a long term plan , we are just not going to move anywhere. Maybe a change in management in the summer, would do us good , we need to move away from finishing mid table nearly ever season, new man, fresh ideas!

I like how finishing midtable to top half last season and most likely this season now qualifies us as "finishing mid table nearly ever season".

Being impatient children will only send us one direction, further down. It's taken years for the club to start to get to the point the board wanted, they have the manager they want, and the team, academy and the club as a whole are starting to move in the direction we wanted. Why throw our first real period of stability away because of people acting like petulant children screaming about how impatient they are?

why are people thinking we are stable?

we are not stable, we are 'stagnant'! there's a massive difference.

stable is the word to describe West Brom before they became a yo-yo club, or Swansea before they caught up with us and eventually overtook us.

Norwich, were stable as a club, but needed a better manager.

why are people thinking we are stable?

we are not stable, we are 'stagnant'! there's a massive difference.

stable is the word to describe West Brom before they became a yo-yo club, or Swansea before they caught up with us and eventually overtook us.

Norwich, were stable as a club, but needed a better manager.

You can't really disprove one with the other since they are inherently based on the same idea, realistically one prooves the other is also true.

Also, we are stable 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

Archived