Give Clough 10 years?

rad1919

Brian Clough also wasn't afraid to buy players then discard them shortly afterward when better ones became available (Pat Wright, Arthur Stewart, Richie Barker, Frank Wignall etc).

thats where Nigel gets its from.

Only he buys them, and never plays them.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Imagined what? Having those discussions? No. I may not have had them in this forum, but I have had them with the Clough romanticists struggling to find genuine footballing reasons to keep him in a job.

Please do not quote Sir Alex Ferguson as a comparison. He went to Manchester United with a pedigree, he had also managed in a world cup and European competition. No offence, but an silly silly example.

Not a silly example at. He took Aberdeen to European glory and nearly lost his job at United after some very poor results in the early days.

Sadly I have the notion that managers need time to build a club. I may be totally wrong of course. But I just think that is the way nowadays

Im personally glad we have stability at our football club - I wouldn't give him a 10 year contract or anything, but unless something drastic happens then I wouldn't get rid either.

I take great pride in having Nigel Clough at our club, it's also been nice to see some of the comments by other fans, and appreciate the job he is doing, some people obviously just want results and don't care about the club as long as the wins keep rolling in, but, personally I like seeing us trying to build something.

I was told this just tonight...

[size=2]genuinly i think if some of our players went derby then clough would make them awesome[/size]

[size=2]like mcccormack i think u would sign and then be able to sell him after a year for about 5 million[/size]

Sadly a player like McCormack would quickly find himself on the bench. Eventually out of the club for daring to have a bit of egotistical swagger and flair. There's no room for showponies in a Nigel Clough side, work-horses all the way.

I'm scared that pretty soon, Will Hughes will realise how good he is and start developing a small ego, and then he ends up like Bueno did, on the bench and isolated.

Here we go again.

Nigel Clough will be Derby County's manager as long as the current owners are in place.

You can quote me as much as you like. But I tell you now that will be the case. He is building the club for the long term like Ferguson has done at some northern club.

Just look how the academy has developed under his tenure, It will take many years to achieve whatever they are after but they will get there in the end.

And. don't throw all this garbage at me that I am happy to be patient and should expect more. Know matter how much we all grumble the aim of the club will not change

So buckle up and be a part of the bumpy journey

Can you tell me how he has developed the academy? Name the players he has brought in, developed

and progressed in the last 4 years.

Not a silly example at. He took Aberdeen to European glory and nearly lost his job at United after some very poor results in the early days.

Sadly I have the notion that managers need time to build a club. I may be totally wrong of course. But I just think that is the way nowadays

I apologise, you ARE right, I also think a manager needs time to build a club, there has to be signs though that the foundation is sound and the work is in progress. I think after 4 years, there should be more than what there currently is.

Make no mistake, once Hughes and Hendrick are sold, we become a very average side again, needing a complete overhaul of players and we'll still be sitting here arguing about needing a left back, central midfielders, and a striker.

We should be a lot further along in our 'turnaround' than this.

Brian Clough also wasn't afraid to buy players then discard them shortly afterward when better ones became available (Pat Wright, Arthur Stewart, Richie Barker, Frank Wignall etc).

Yeh,always remember him saying Roy Mac would be gone if he found a better CH.Always wondered what would have happened if he'd got Waggie-surely not the end of the King? Seem to remember he tried playing 3 strikers for a spell and it didn't exactly work out.

I apologise, you ARE right, I also think a manager needs time to build a club, there has to be signs though that the foundation is sound and the work is in progress. I think after 4 years, there should be more than what there currently is.

Make no mistake, once Hughes and Hendrick are sold, we become a very average side again, needing a complete overhaul of players and we'll still be sitting here arguing about needing a left back, central midfielders, and a striker.

We should be a lot further along in our 'turnaround' than this.

...and if a new manager came,do you think Hughes and Hendrick wouldn't be sold,and that he'd be given a heap of cash to sign the players you talk of?

Archived