This year v last year

PistoldPete

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We're still not good enough away from home.

Until Nigel figures this out, he's had about 5 years to but still hasnt, we're not gunna go anywhere.

There have been signs of this improving this year, but im not very hopeful.

Not doing to bad away from home are we? a blip against Peterborough mind, but still better than the top 2 sides in the division.

It could be a little better but nothing to worry about IMO.

Not doing to bad away from home are we? a blip against Peterborough mind, but still better than the top 2 sides in the division.

We dont score/attack enough on the road. We're the joint second lowest scorers away from home, only Ipswich are worst.

The signs/promise are there, Wolves and Boro were 2 very good performances. We've seen promise under Nigel a lot, it often results in little.

Haven't only Ipswich scored less than us away from home this season? I realise we've made some improvement but when I look at the league I still expect to see 10 teams or so to finish above us (I am realistic if anything these days), I can't see us changing that without a significantly higher win % away over the course of 23 games, I've always thought generally we were half decent at home, abysmal away under Nigel.

I need a graph before i can even begin to understand whether we are better or worse.

Here you go. Solid lines this year, dashed lines last year.

http://i47.tinypic.com/qoehrs

Oh. Another note my Prom/Play-off/Safety PPGs are based on the points we would need to guarantee the required position, assuming we would have a wrose GD. In other words it's 2nd place team +1 point, 6th place team +1 point etc...

This also only compares by number of games played so ignores any head-to-head information.

I was going to add this, but it doesn't look like much after Martyn's post.

.photobucket.com/albums/v237/Ferrata/Graph

Just showing how many points we had per match compared to last year. Like the OP said, we are currently behind but this doesn't take into account who we played.

Best time to compare this season with last season is Sunday 5th May 2013, we're only just over a quarter way through the season

Exactly, as I pointed out to one of our gumpier members when they were bragging about what they were going to do, they don't hand out prizes in October. (or even November being as that's where we are now)

Last season it's perfectly plausible we'd have lost that game yesterday after they scored the penalty.

We've got character and strength that's been lacking in previous seasons.

I agree; undoubtedly the main improvement is that our heads don't drop as they did last season. Like you, going into the last 10 mins last season, if we were losing that would be that. Now, I feel we're always in with a shout.

This year I have no real fear of religation. Seems strange. All over we look better. Our subs bench looks younger, hungrier and arguably more talented. Coutts (bar some terrible corners and free kicks looks to be better than green or Davies. Keogh seems to fit the squad better than shackell and is starting to play some lovely football from the back. Sammon gives more than Savies. Theo has improved his touch and link up. Bryson looks less of a headless chicken and gets closer to the tackle, intact the whole midfield seem a tighter unit. Hughes looks very sharp. Legolas has been very good in goal recently. Brayford back on form. Less injuries. More late goals (never say die attitude)U21s doing well.

So in short I think we are better.

The football is better. We attack more.

That'll do me. I'd rather finish lower doing things the right way rather than finish higher with some Watford away 2011 wins making us look better than we are.

I think Savies and Shackell would still get in our team.

I think Coutts and Hughes have improved us and helped Bryson. Brayford improved too.

I expect a mid table finish still. Too light upfront and still have a midfield with a soft belly. Tougher than last year, but still struggle to get involved at times

I think it's worth noting that 90% of the side has improved on themselves from last season - Bryson was good last season, don't get me wrong but this season he has been a different class. Brayford has gone back to his POTY form, Buxton has been first class this season stepping up to fill shackells role. Theo has been better infront of goal. Hughes has naturally improved. Hendrick has been hit and miss, Ward has already done more in terms of assists and goals in the first 8 games than he did last season.

The players that have gone - Shackell and Savies being the obvious losses, both would get in our 11 now, no doubt but they've been replaced by players that mean their loss hasn't really been noted, and to be honest Shackell seems to have indifferent views at Burnley.

I think the big difference is having players that aren't scared to be on the ball. Coutts, Hughes & Keogh aren't scared to have a few touches and look to make positive moves. Compare that to last season when we had Shackell trying the 60 Hollywood passes that went straight into touch and Paul Green with his safe 10 yard square balls. I'm sure Bris will be on to deride Coutts at some point but he can't argue that the lad never stops trying to force the issue and looking to make things happen. Plus you can't argue with the assists he's brought to the side...

By position:

'Keeper: Same as before - Fielding is good, but Legzdins has really come to the fore just recently - we have two quality keepers with years on their side.

LB: Roberts - Mr Consistent as before last season, but we now have a couple of valid options as backup, O'Connor (not fantastic, but steady) and to some extent Hoganson (looked pretty useful against Sunderland, provided the assist for Tyson's goal)

CB: Loss of Shackell and Barker hurt us, but Keogh has proved to be more than just a replacement for Shackell, and Sir Jake/O'Connor and return of Mark O'Brien from injury give us ample cover.

RB: Brayford looks to be picking some of his first season form again, but with only Freeman as a dedicated cover it may be a weak point should Brayford pick up an injury..

LM: Not Hughes' best position, and Jamie Ward being used more as a striker, I'd much prefer to see Jacobs here, who is looking to be quite the talent, but we definitely have the options.

CM: Bryson has improved this season, Hendrick looks to be recovering some form, and Hughes coming through too. I'd like to see Bailey back here, but that is looking less and less likely.

RM: Coutts is definitely an improvement over Green, bringing a lot of attacking and assists. Although JW and Bris won't be agreeing with me here. Linking up very well with Brayford. Freeman not looking too bad in this position either, and we still have Bavies as a backup too.

Striker: Perhaps the only region that hasn't improved, for me. Theo is still scoring, and Ward was on form before injury, with Tyson chipping in too. Sammon is a hard worker, maybe not suited to our play, but the loss of Savies has hurt, proven finisher, and I think this would have been his season to kick on - he has the same number of goals as Theo in the league.

Overall we have definitely improved, not only in the quality of the players, but the attitude. This looks now to be a team that will fight for each other, and isn't giving up in games either - this point has been made before, but last season with us losing and heading into the closing stages of a game, I would have thought 'that's that then', but now, there's always a maybe.. just maybe.

I think Sammon is key to the way we play, and overall is a much better option than Davies.

Davies could get you a goal out of nothing mind, and we miss that. I think Sammon is 90% of the time the better option over Savies, the other 10% where we're looking for a potshot from 25 yards, we're missing but Ward does that from time to time.

Last years results in brackets, and points difference shown.

its official. We are better this year.

Derby 2-0 Barnsley ( 1-1) +2

Derby 4-1 Blackpool (2-1) 0

Peterborough 3-0 Derby (3-2) 0

Ipswich 1-2 Derby (1-0) +3

Derby 1-1 Blackburn

Derby 0-0 Brighton (0-1) +1

Middlesbrough 2-2 Derby (2-0) +1

Nottm Forest 0-1 Derby (1-2) 0

Derby 1-2 Burnley (2-4) 0

Derby 3-2 Charlton

Huddersfield1-0 Derby

Derby 5-1Watford (1-2) +3

Wolves 1-1Derby

Bolton 2-0 Derby

Derby 2-2 Sheff Wed

10 points better off in the 9 directly comparable matches.

I'd draw a graph but thats too hard.

Archived