This year v last year

PistoldPete

We are 16th so I don't know if we are better. We play better football than we did which is an improvement but the back 4 isn't very solid and while we get into good positions we are wasteful as lack quality. I actually don't think salmon has improved is that much.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the league position isnt really an argument, were at the bottom of a section of teams on simialr points.

We are actually nearer to the 3rd position in terms of points than we are the bottom 3.

That said, I am sick to deatgh of cloughs excuses about our team being young.

Its your fault mr clough you only sign 20 year olds, or play youth academy products.

Sign some experienced pro's and we might make a good team to mix with the youth.

Starting with 2 players in central midfield who have one season of experience between them is asking for trouble.

I think the plan for January needs to be to improve defensively. I like Bucko, like Jimmy O'Connor, however I don't think they've proven to be good enough for us this season. If we want to improve and (hopefully) get out of this league we need to stop conceding silly goals and keep a few more clean sheets.

I also think Lego is better than Frankie.

Well it's a first to me that league position isn't important

We are defintely better both in terms of performances and in head to head games comparison. We finshed 12th last year but should finish higher than that this year unless our performances dip. Dont really know how we are 16th. The performances are ahead of our points total but even given 27 points from 20 games we should be higher than 16th; looks like this league is even tighter than usual.

last year we were ourplayed by CArdiff and Leicester, this year we matched them both and deserved more than the one point we got from these two games. Even that one point is more than we got last year a big fat zero from all four games.

We are defintely better both in terms of performances and in head to head games comparison. We finshed 12th last year but should finish higher than that this year unless our performances dip. Dont really know how we are 16th. The performances are ahead of our points total but even given 27 points from 20 games we should be higher than 16th; looks like this league is even tighter than usual.

last year we were ourplayed by CArdiff and Leicester, this year we matched them both and deserved more than the one point we got from these two games. Even that one point is more than we got last year a big fat zero from all four games.

Surely a head-to-head comparison is meaningless unless all clubs finish exactly in the same position as they did the year before, all the while discounting the 6 teams that have left the league and the 6 teams that have joined? A measure of progress at any one point IMO is soley the work of the league table, it has less credibility with fewer games and more with every passing game. Novel, I know.

How have performances improved this season really? Earlier on in the season i thought this was true but it's just turning into the same **** ever year.

We're **** away from home, proper **** as well, cant score goals and ship them for fun. Ok, at home performances have probably been better, but away we're just as bad, if not worse, than we've ever been.

Clinging onto positive performances is something you claim when a manager hasnt been here long, and you're prepared to wait for the performances to translate into points. Nigel has been here a long time now, and all we've got is a few decent performances.

How mediocre do we need to be for changes to be made?

To question Nigel for having young, inexperienced players is silly. Older, experienced players cost more and Nigel doesn't have the budget for many of these! Hence he has to play young, inexperienced players in the first team but don't criticise him for it as he doesn't have any choice!

I mentioned before but our defence this season is far worse (well goals conceded) than it was last season.. The fact we shipped another 4 at Leicester just dents it further..

Without going from stages to stages after 46 games last season we conceded 58 goals which equates to 1.26 a game..

We've played 20 games this season and shipped 31 goals.. We're at 1.55 per game.. Or in other words, every 2 games we're likely to concede 1 in 1 and 2 in the other.. This doesn't bode well for a team that scored only 8 goals away from home in 10 games.. It's a poor record to have..

If we are to improve defensively on last season (which many said we would do as Keogh is apparently much better than Shacks) we need to concede only 26 in the remaining 26 games at simply rate of 1.00 a game.. It's quite difficult given that Leicester and Brighton are the only teams in the league that have conceded on record less than a goal a game..

The crazy thing is every year it seems NC makes a big signing or a few signings on the defence but over the 4 years that he's been in charge it's still nowhere good enough of a top NPC side..

I'd be amazed if we conceded less than 62 this season..

It's very simplistic to look at Keogh coming in and Shacks going as the reason for conceding so often.

Shacks had Barker as his defensive partner for much of the season and was playing in a much more defensively minded side. Brayford wasn't bombing forward like he is this season without a Coutts to partner him. We also had Roberts fighting fit and naturally playing LB for much more of the season at this point compared to last.

As a team, this side is much more geared up to scoring than not conceding. Keogh as a signing sums that up as much as anything. Shackell was an absolute nightmare in terms of distributing the ball out of defence, which is very important in starting attacking moves. So many times we'd lose possession because Shackell fancied trying a long range Hollywood pass when the simple option was there. I really don't miss that at all and I'd concede a goal every game just for that to go.

Last years results in brackets, and points difference shown.

its official. We are better this year.

Derby 2-0 Barnsley ( 1-1) +2

Derby 4-1 Blackpool (2-1) 0

Peterborough 3-0 Derby (3-2) 0

Ipswich 1-2 Derby (1-0) +3

Derby 1-1 Blackburn

Derby 0-0 Brighton (0-1) +1

Middlesbrough 2-2 Derby (2-0) +1

Nottm Forest 0-1 Derby (1-2) 0

Derby 1-2 Burnley (2-4) 0

Derby 3-2 Charlton

Huddersfield1-0 Derby

Derby 5-1Watford (1-2) +3

Wolves 1-1Derby

Bolton 2-0 Derby

Derby 2-2 Sheff Wed

10 points better off in the 9 directly comparable matches.

I'd draw a graph but thats too hard.

Derby 3-1 Leeds (1-0)

Leicester 4-1Derby (4-0)

Derby 1-1Cardiff (0-3) +1

Derby 3-2 Birmingham (2-1)

Crystal Palace 3-0 Derby (1-1) -1

Millwall 2-1Derby (0-0) -1

Now 9 points better off in 15 comparable games

Home +7

Away +2 but with a notable dip recently

The thing I'm most impressed with this year is our home form compared to recent years. As a season ticket holder there isn't worse feeling that coming away from Pride Park every other week disappointed, watching rubbish teams comfortably beat a bunch of careless journeymen who couldn't give two ***** about playing for DCFC. I was disappointed a week or so ago when we failed to beat top of the league Cardiff, thats how much things have changed. Only 12 months ago they came midweek and strolled to a 3-0 victory.

I'm enjoying our home games and if the home form continues then the decision in April next year to renew will be much easier!

Obviously the way form is poor but at least we seem to have cracked one area, beats being utter ***** and uncompetitive both away from home and at pride park!

We are 16th so I don't know if we are better. We play better football than we did which is an improvement but the back 4 isn't very solid and while we get into good positions we are wasteful as lack quality. I actually don't think salmon has improved is that much.

We are 10th now. Head to head games comparisons with last season now plus 11 points. We are also on 33 points after 22 games compared to last year 28 points and that was after our best start ever. Mind you we did also win 4 games on the trot around Christmas last year.

Some tough games to come, but I do expect us to finish higher than last year.

How good does this sound......

Two goals in two first-half minutes against Bristol City saw promotion-chasing Derby claim their first away win in the Championship since October.

Promotion-chasing eh!

P.s. now +11 points in 16 comparable games

Archived