Derby Goalies through the ages

Brammie Steve

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yakka.... as a kid, someone with such an "exotic" sounding name playing for us... brilliant..

Wallington - Great

Eric Steele - The first footballer I ever had a conversation with, I was so star struck, told him that his shirt (he wore a red one against Plymouth) looked great and he just laughed and asked me if i thought we would win the league next year (in the top flight) i told him, of course we will..!!

After my time but a friend from Brum (keenest Rams supporter I know) says he also spoke to Steelie at the end of that season and said "You'll be playing in the First Division next season then Eric to which he replied "No chance!"

Football was a pretty cruel game even then.

I have had the pleasure of spending many an evening with Martin Taylor and he is a top bloke.

1 conversation we had was about the game against Southend and his injury. He said he remembered Dave Regis (was that his name?) going off injured and thinking thank goodness for that as he was a right dirty barstool, only for him to come back on after some treatment. And the rest, as they say, is history. He was also on the verge of joining Chelsea along with Paul Williams and had been watched by some of the England set up as well.

I have had the pleasure of spending many an evening with Martin Taylor and he is a top bloke.

1 conversation we had was about the game against Southend and his injury. He said he remembered Dave Regis (was that his name?) going off injured and thinking thank goodness for that as he was a right dirty barstool, only for him to come back on after some treatment. And the rest, as they say, is history. He was also on the verge of joining Chelsea along with Paul Williams and had been watched by some of the England set up as well.

It was Dave Regis, he'd probably be sent to prison nowadays for the murderous challenge on Taylor.

Taylor? Hell of a keeper, really think he would have gone on to a great career without that injury.

'and it's not often you see Peter Shilton beaten from that distance'......a sentence that commentators seemed to use quite often when he was in a Derby shirt. Everton 3 Derby 0 in 87/88 was possibly the worst display of the lot.

My main memories of Shilton are wimping out to Maradona in 1986 and rooted to his line in 1990 in the semi-final. We could have won two more world cups with a braver keeper.

His reputation was made during the 3 seasons of success that the gumps had back in the late 70's despite him playing a hundred times more for Leicester than them. On his day, his shot stopping was superb but he lacked a bit of courage when it really mattered.

My main memories of Shilton are wimping out to Maradona in 1986 and rooted to his line in 1990 in the semi-final. We could have won two more world cups with a braver keeper.

His reputation was made during the 3 seasons of success that the gumps had back in the late 70's despite him playing a hundred times more for Leicester than them. On his day, his shot stopping was superb but he lacked a bit of courage when it really mattered.

Spot on Uttox. Had this conversation re Shilts and lack of bravery on numerous occasions. He was technically gifted and a superb shot stopper no doubt but he could be very much lacking in moral courage as a player at times. This opinion has had me riduculed and laughed out of the building on occasions. But my shoulders are broad... so broad in fact that I have roughly the same opinion of one of Arthur Cox,s Rams legends..super player at times but could have given so much more to the club and his own career. Seemed to fall out with people and place blame for defeats anywhere but on himself.Should have been and had the ability to do MUCH MUCH better than he did. Anyone care to guess who im talking about?

Archived