Derby Goalies through the ages

Brammie Steve

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Russel hoult. Wasn't he an expert of the derby streets? He drove around them a bit.

I loved shilts when I was younger us having the England keeper but poom is the best for me. We seem to have had many average keepers since, camp, grant, bywater and fielding are all of a similar level for me.

The one that surprises me that gets stick is bywater, he was great when we went up, on the forums people were going mad when carroll was brought in and played,both billy and clough said he was one off the best outside the prem and should be pushing for an england spot and he was 2nd in the player of the year votes the year hulse won it, he then did lose the plot the season after but now it seems no ever rated him.

First goalie I saw for Derby was Les Green, incredible keeper but my all time favourite was Colin Boulton. Followed by Poom

My mate has a Derby based blog where he listed all the goalies from late 60's. when I get chance I will be a lazy linker and post a link to the page

Reg Matthews was magnificent in the seasons proceeding Brian Clough's arrival, together with Jack Parry and Alan Durban he was the main reason we were still in the 2nd division when Brian arrived.

In away games in was Reg versus the opposition week after week !!

Other favourites.

Les Green - Underated and a good organiser

Colin Boulton - Mr Consistent

Mart Poom - Good all round keeper

After that nothing much really, still waiting to be impressed.

To my knowledge I got it down to;

Peter Shilton - England

Lewis Price - Wales

Mart Poom - Estonia

Roy Carrol - N Ireland

Yaka Banovic - Australia

Be delighted if anyone can come up with more. My brain is well and truly wracked thinking about this...

I was going to say Reg Matthews but I think he got his caps while playing for Coventry.

I thought Mart Poom was brilliant what a shot stopper and in some of Jim Smiths teams he certainly had a lot of shots to stop.

Whenever we had harried the oppo enough to force them into a long high ball, I always felt sure that we were safe because Mart would be sure to get it.

Shilts used to berate the defence if they even allowed a shot, this worked as we had a very tight defence when he was the custodian.

Les Green wasn't very big for a keeper, so Roy Mac used to deal with all the crosses, he was a brilliant shot stopper and had the quickest reflexes of anyone. Once against Southampton we were really struggling at 0-0 as Ron Davies was winning everything in the air, Dave Mackay was visibly upset when he gave away a corner. Davies won it and Les pulled off the most incredible point blank save. We went on to win 3-0.

Colin Boulton was a great all round keeper & as good as anyone ever with one on ones. -2 championship medals says a lot.

I also liked Dave Jones and Martin Taylor after his early games became good.

I didnt rate Holt, Mosely or Mckellar. The latter used to come way off his line for crosses, miss them by a mile and then watch from 5 yards in front of the action as our defendres formed a barricade on the goal line to try and compensate for his absence.

Most if not all of them with Chelsea.

Correction I think his 5 caps were with Coventry.

Also found this:

Matthews won five caps for England all of which came in 1956. He was the first Coventry-born footballer to be capped by England. Matthews is one of only five post-war players to be capped while playing for a Third Division club.

I forgot about John Middleton, Tommy Docherty got him by swapping him for Archie Gemmill -amazing.

Not as bad as swapping Leighton James for Don Masson and then swapping him for Steve carter.

I always said you could sell the Doc a £1 note for a fiver, and buy it back off him a week later for 50p.

Not me Andy..I cannot remember this fella at all.

I looked him up in Gerald Mortimer's Complete Record.

He appears to have made 2 appearances in the 2001-2 season, so he was Gregory's idea.

The first seems to have been a substitute appearance in a 3-0 away victory.

The second in a 4-3 home defeat to Everton.

The appearances were a month apart in the spring of 2002 then he seems to have disappeared without a trace.

I'd be interested to hear from anyone who saw the hapless lad in action.

I remember that Everton game - he was useless. Seem to recall him being nutmegged for at least 2 of the goals. Best thing about him was that one of the national papers the next day had spellchecked him in the match report, hence we had Patriot Fellatio in goal...... Probably would have done better in all fairness.

I remember that Everton game - he was useless. Seem to recall him being nutmegged for at least 2 of the goals. Best thing about him was that one of the national papers the next day had spellchecked him in the match report, hence we had Patriot Fellatio in goal...... Probably would have done better in all fairness.

Still no clean sheet? 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/ph34r' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':ph34r:' />

Archived