Derby Goalies through the ages

Brammie Steve

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Every keeper since Wallington, although some only once as I've been away for a long time! (first due to my Dad's work and subsequently due to my own south coast exile) Shilts will always be my favourite though (except for the Binman who I saw in his latter days playing for Torquay v BHAFC... A true legend - a shame he never donned the Rams jersey.)

My two all time faves - Colin Boulton - sheer consistency, never made a mistake, faultless through two Title winning seasons. Martyn Taylor, bravest keeper we've had. Proper Derbyshire miner!

i'll go with that, adding Les Green in to the mix..

My personal favourite is Martin Taylor. A very good goalie who was knocking on England B door before that terrible Sunday afternoon at Southend. A no nonsense personality who loved interacting with the fans behind his net.

It's good to see him back where he belongs - and Yes I was there when his career was taken away from him...........

Taylor was amazing the season we went to Wembley in the Anglo Italian....happy days..

The southend game, i spent 4 nights sleeping in a pub lounge on chairs because of my "genius" friend who took care of the booking.......and I had a broken arm at the time too....miserabe....the best and the worst of times....

My two all time faves - Colin Boulton - sheer consistency, never made a mistake, faultless through two Title winning seasons. Martyn Taylor, bravest keeper we've had. Proper Derbyshire miner!

I rated Colin Boulton as brilliant when I started the thread. Sheer consisteny indeed. Never flamboyant, never having to make spectacular last moment saves because he was always in the right place at the right time. Absolute trust between him and the defenders during the whole match. Happy memories.

BTW Slightly off thread and may seem like a seismic shift. The worse goalkeeper I have seen at the BBG was the legendary Gary Sprake of the unmentionables. Then one season, when the first team couldn't be bothered to travel from L**ds to Derby they sent their reserves (and got fined by the FA). In their goal was a young David Harvey who kept the score down to a 4-1 home win.

Mo55y and I were at the match and cheered Harvey off the pitch along with most of the crowd who were left wondering why Revie ever gave Sprake a game!

Anyone else remember that one?

http://www.ozwhitelufc.net.au/images/players/Harvey%20David

Can anyone else remember Shilts last game for us ? He had been away playing for England in the summer and it was as though something bad had happened to his eyesight. He seemed not to have seen a volley from right in front of him. We were playing Watford and Shaka Hislop was doing wonders in their goal - with the inevetable request to exchange !

During the following week it was announced that Shilts was going to Plymouth as player/manager.

Apologies if I have got the details wrong - it was a long time ago - in the days when I hung off the end of Popside level with the penalty spot !

Yakka.... as a kid, someone with such an "exotic" sounding name playing for us... brilliant..

Wallington - Great

Eric Steele - The first footballer I ever had a conversation with, I was so star struck, told him that his shirt (he wore a red one against Plymouth) looked great and he just laughed and asked me if i thought we would win the league next year (in the top flight) i told him, of course we will..!!

Martin had his first game back for the first team as Poom was literally flying in. Smith didn't seem to realise what a good goalie he had. No offence to Poom who was memorable

Martin was sent to Wickham Wanderers which had a fair sprinkling of Derby players at the time. I saw him from behind the net at Saltergate several times. The Chessie fans loved him because he returned their banter and because he was an ex-miner.

Slight off topic - but do you mean Wycombe Wanderers? I went to see them lose to Oxford this weekend just gone. In the program they had their all-time greatest starting 11 - who was up front? None other than a certain Nathan Tyson!

Archived