Derby Goalies through the ages

Brammie Steve

First goalie I saw between the sticks was Les Green,

then Colin Boulton

both excellent (and in Colin's case, brilliant!)

We've had good goalies at all levels, even Shilts in his declining years.

We now have three top Championship goalies.

Frankie, Legz and Deeney.

We don't miss the likes of Camp or Bywater either.

Let's have some goalie memories past and present.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wouldn't class Deeney as a top Championship keeper. Obviously there's Poom who was immense, and it still makes me feel a bit sick when I think of the amount of money United offered, and we rejected. I really think he could have had a great career at Old Trafford.

Russell Hoult was also a good Premier league keeper, still got the 1998/99 keeper jersey with his name on the back.

We were blessed under Davies to have 3 good young keepers, and we kept the worst one in my opinion in Bywater.

A bit obscure but I remember Patrick Foletti coming on for Andy Oakes away at Filbert Street. We got named team of the week, Strupar got 2 and everyone thought we were going to stay up.

My personal favourite is Martin Taylor. A very good goalie who was knocking on England B door before that terrible Sunday afternoon at Southend. A no nonsense personality who loved interacting with the fans behind his net.

It's good to see him back where he belongs - and Yes I was there when his career was taken away from him...........

My personal favourite is Martin Taylor. A very good goalie who was knocking on England B door before that terrible Sunday afternoon at Southend. A no nonsense personality who loved interacting with the fans behind his net.

It's good to see him back where he belongs - and Yes I was there when his career was taken away from him...........

Totally agree, didn't he win player of the year the season before he got injured? gutted for him and i don't thnk he really recovered from it. Good bloke alround though and glad he's here.

I remember a home game against Notts County and the return of one particular goalkeeper where a tragic combination of marital problems and fans' memories of an enormous pigs ear he made of a corner led to an especially torrid time for the bloke.

'She's here, she's there, she's every ...' Etc

Notts County won the game if memory serves.

Poom was the best I saw at Derby and I started watching the Rams back in the late seventies.

I dare say he'll loook back on his club career and wonder what might have been as he didn't really win anything though he did pick up a Champions League runners up medal at Arsenal.

Martin had his first game back for the first team as Poom was literally flying in. Smith didn't seem to realise what a good goalie he had. No offence to Poom who was memorable

Martin was sent to Wickham Wanderers which had a fair sprinkling of Derby players at the time. I saw him from behind the net at Saltergate several times. The Chessie fans loved him because he returned their banter and because he was an ex-miner.

Wouldn't class Deeney as a top Championship keeper. Obviously there's Poom who was immense, and it still makes me feel a bit sick when I think of the amount of money United offered, and we rejected. I really think he could have had a great career at Old Trafford.

Russell Hoult was also a good Premier league keeper, still got the 1998/99 keeper jersey with his name on the back.

We were blessed under Davies to have 3 good young keepers, and we kept the worst one in my opinion in Bywater.

A bit obscure but I remember Patrick Foletti coming on for Andy Oakes away at Filbert Street. We got named team of the week, Strupar got 2 and everyone thought we were going to stay up.

You feel sick cuz he didn't have a great career at United????? Are you deranged?

Archived