New manager. New captain?

Jon_Grooves

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Jordy said:

Keogh is a good player on the pitch but I will be very disappointed if he doesn't leave this summer. 

Throughout the numerous managers in recent years, he has been one of the few constants. After all, we keep changing everything else but Keogh stays. As captain, I think he has failed in his role on numerous occasions to get the players motivated and consistently playing good football. No doubt he is one of the key reasons why managers keep 'losing the dressing room'. He doesn't deserve to be at the club anymore.

Is that a typo or are you really saying you'd be disappointed if he DIDN'T leave in the summer? Also, what grounds do you have for saying "no doubt he is one of the key reasons why managers keep losing the dressing room"? Big assumption there. Maybe it would be a lot worse if he wasn't there. We just don't know.

For me, Keogh stays and stays as captain. 

Sith Happens
3 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

Are we still trying to berate Richard Keogh? What the heck has he done wrong now? Unbelievable.

Everything, not only was it 100% his fault we didnt get promoted at wembley, despite the fact everyones golden boy buxton and forsythe had numerous chances to clear it. Every goal we concede is his fault....hes had a shocking season by all accounts despite us having one of the best defences in the league.

Oh it would seem every manager sacking is down to Keogh too because hes a bad egg and causing trouble behind the scenes.

Oh and also seems like he has feigned injury and refused to play for Steve...

You get the feeling if he has two goal line clearances in keeping a clean sheet on saturday he will be criticised for not defending better and allowing a shot on target.

You also feel if he scored a hat trick on saturday he would then be ripped apart by some as he should be concentrating on defending...

3 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

Is that a typo or are you really saying you'd be disappointed if he DIDN'T leave in the summer? Also, what grounds do you have for saying "no doubt he is one of the key reasons why managers keep losing the dressing room"? Big assumption there. Maybe it would be a lot worse if he wasn't there. We just don't know.

For me, Keogh stays and stays as captain. 

He's a good player but I think it would be a difficult transition for him (and the players) to no longer being captain at Derby, therefore he should go.

So many people said after the Brighton loss and McClaren's sacking that the players deserve the blame for their lack of effort, inconsistency and not playing for managers (year after year). I think it makes sense that we should start with getting rid of the  captain who's been there throughout. We can definitely do better.

youve got to think of the role as a captain... the captain in any sports team has an important role.

When a team ***** up and team morale drops over and over again, why isnt the captain sorting it all out and making sure they stay on track and are happy and motivated enough to have that end product?

Keogh has been captain for so long but this team morale and performances dropping dont change, so what is he actually doing to ensure **** doesnt happen time and time again? it cant be the manager ebcause weve had so many and it keeps happening

The Captain position in modern day football is just someone to wear an armband, swap over a pennant and make a decision based on a coin toss.

its not like Rugby or cricket is it? or in davis cup or ryder cup where the captain is essentially the non playing manager.

Derby have several captains at the club who have captained other clubs to a fair amount of success. keogh baird, shackell, pearce. We also have several senior pros who have more experience at this level and some higher who know a thing a two about the game. Captaincy is the least of our worries, getting 2 players in down the spine of the time, in key positions to make us competitive is all thats required. I suspect Martin will be one of those, plus the odd physical midfielder.

As long as we dont sign another hughes/bryson/butterfield type player as our next season then i think ill be happy. I also trust gary rowett not to do this.

20 minutes ago, Jon_Grooves said:

Not at all, you should re read my original post to why I think we need a new captain. Nothing to do with performances on the pitch. Its about motivation, holding together the team when times are hard. giving players a kick up the arse when performances drop

Was aimed at you personally. 

Do those players that were captains at previous clubs lose all leadership skills on the pitch when they don't have the armband on? 

A captain is more than the 90 minutes on the pitch, it's off the pitch, away from the fans, the cameras, behind closed doors.

There must be a reason so many managers have appointed Keogh captain, if Rowett adds to that list maybe we should accept he's the best man for the job at the club (currently)

9 minutes ago, Jordy said:

He's a good player but I think it would be a difficult transition for him (and the players) to no longer being captain at Derby, therefore he should go.

So many people said after the Brighton loss and McClaren's sacking that the players deserve the blame for their lack of effort, inconsistency and not playing for managers (year after year). I think it makes sense that we should start with getting rid of the  captain who's been there throughout. We can definitely do better.

He seemed to be ok when Clement took the captaincy and gave it to everyone but him during his time in charge.

Given he was signed and made captain by Clough, who is a real stickler for the moral fibre and character of his players, I am more than happy to see Keogh keep the armband.

7 minutes ago, PodgeyRam said:

He seemed to be ok when Clement took the captaincy and gave it to everyone but him during his time in charge.

Given he was signed and made captain by Clough, who is a real stickler for the moral fibre and character of his players, I am more than happy to see Keogh keep the armband.

Even Clough made mistakes 

12 minutes ago, Jon_Grooves said:

youve got to think of the role as a captain... the captain in any sports team has an important role.

When a team ***** up and team morale drops over and over again, why isnt the captain sorting it all out and making sure they stay on track and are happy and motivated enough to have that end product?

Keogh has been captain for so long but this team morale and performances dropping dont change, so what is he actually doing to ensure **** doesnt happen time and time again? it cant be the manager ebcause weve had so many and it keeps happening

You could turn that around though, and say Keogh's captaincy inspires the players to heights which in the end are not sustainable throughout a whole season.

No evidence either way, besides all a captain does now is collect the fines and sorts the Xmas piss up out.

2 hours ago, David said:

Exactly.

As fans who are we to say who the players want as captain? It's nothing more than a popularity contest for us and a reoccurring topic as Keogh is has a large number of fans that don't rate him.

Same as discussions on coaches, we should get Eranio in, Stimac....why? Because they were popular players which must mean they will make great coaches. 

The only thing I'll add is that successes and failures sort of attach to the captains lesdership. I'm a devout believer in Richard Keogh as a footballer although his one footedness drives me nuts, but we've failed a lot, so i think a change is overdue. But you're right. Someone the players can get behind and who motivates them by his play and guidance.

Archived