New manager. New captain?

Jon_Grooves

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, PodgeyRam said:

They say familiarity breeds contempt. 

All I will say on the matter is that the grass isn't always greener on the other side. Some people may realise this if our captain and best defender leaves. 

Eats shoots and leaves maybe? That's an old one, some of you may recall it...... :blink:

2 hours ago, cannable said:

So essentially, Keogh shouldn't be captain because of hearsay? 

1 hour ago, cannable said:

Jesus

Any chance of you putting forward an argument for why he should stay captain?

It's a good question. The decision Rowett makes will be an indicator as to how he views the squad and individuals within the squad. It will certainly effect many fans perception of the new manager. However I expect GR will stick with Keogh. Not a positive move for me personally.

58 minutes ago, Ninos said:

Give the captaincy to the best player - Will Hughes - and let's see the boy become a man! 

I've suggested this before. I think it will bring the best out of WH and he definitely has the intelligence. 

5 minutes ago, cannable said:

No because I don't know what goes on behind the scenes, good or bad 

It doesn't take a genius - or Christian demigod for that matter - to ascertain that all has not been well for the past few years.

Not arsed, it's only a armband we see on the pitch. Off the pitch who Rowett thinks is the most suitable player. Given how many managers before have handed it to Keogh I wouldn't be surprised to see him continue.

Think you're right that keogh isn't captain material, I've long seen this as a problem to us, he doesn't have the right mentality for the role. When things aren't going right he isn't doing enough to help morale imo, I don't think he inspires the players like a proper captain would. This ain't a criticsim of keoghs actual playing ability, he's an excellent centre half who should remain, but I think he'll be better without the armband.

Who to give it to is the question, a new leading centre half to replace Shackell is a possibility, I'd give it Thorne in the long term and probably johnson until the end of the season tho imo

5 minutes ago, David said:

Not arsed, it's only a armband we see on the pitch. Off the pitch who Rowett thinks is the most suitable player. Given how many managers before have handed it to Keogh I wouldn't be surprised to see him continue.

Right David, but I think when Clement gave the band to Baird it sort of demoralised the side - Keogh was dumped, and Shackell, a premier league captain slighted. You had one of our weakest part time players as the leader. Respect just wasn't there. To us it's an armband but if you've ever played a sport it's a big deal to the players.

keogh is good but since change is in the air it would be refreshing if a Rowett esque leader rose up here and grabbed the team by the scruff ... Rowett spoke of Mousihno at Burton, maybe he will find one here.

I'm assuming this was intended to be a discussion about who wears the armband...? The only one of our previous managers not to to give it to Keogh was Clement. And many would argue that defensively we were at our most solid under PC as well as Keogh going from Mr. Mistake to Mr. Consistent. 

I think even if GR gives the armband to someone else on Sat/next season, that doesn't spell the end of Keoghs time as a Ram. He is one of the better CB's outside of the Prem

3 minutes ago, Ninos said:

To us it's an armband but if you've ever played a sport it's a big deal to the players.

Exactly.

As fans who are we to say who the players want as captain? It's nothing more than a popularity contest for us and a reoccurring topic as Keogh is has a large number of fans that don't rate him.

Same as discussions on coaches, we should get Eranio in, Stimac....why? Because they were popular players which must mean they will make great coaches. 

People say how he plays better without the armband, but I don't think that's the case. I don't think wearing the armband has any effect on how well players perform.

If you look at when Keogh has played best it is when he has been part of a stable back four where everyone knows what they are doing. 

When Buxton and Christie were fit, he was great. 

When Shackell and Christie were fit, he was great.

When Pearce and Baird are fit, he's great.

It's when those relationships fall apart that he sags a bit. the armband has nothing to do with, otherwise he wouldn't have won player of the year twice here, in seasons where he was captain.

It means nothing the armband. It is simply a way for the fans to lightning rod their frustrations onto someone and I think Keogh is a far better leader than many think for taking the flak for the team.

31 minutes ago, David said:

It's nothing more than a popularity contest for us and a reoccurring topic as Keogh is has a large number of fans that don't rate him.

Not at all, you should re read my original post to why I think we need a new captain. Nothing to do with performances on the pitch. Its about motivation, holding together the team when times are hard. giving players a kick up the arse when performances drop

Archived