SKY Q

Wolfie

I'm paying £32 a month just for 50MB Virgin Broadband only! I don't want a box or need one as I stream everything on my big PC screen. Hopefully I can get them down or something soon... Can't move to BT etc as they charge for a phone line feel like giving up.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 hours ago, David said:

You don't need the second box so you wouldn't have to pay the multi room fee, also the Sky Q iPad app works the same way as a second box, you can watch every channel you have, plus manage and watch recorded programmes that are on the main box. You can also download for offline watching.

Consumer advice and dcfc bants. This is why this is the best forum in the tinterweb. 

Youve git me considering it. Your commission may yet be forthcoming. 

On 12/10/2016 at 13:37, reveldevil said:

I've just signed up for it with the bloke in the shopping centre.

2TB box which you need for Ultra HD, 2nd mini box, 80 meg unlimited fibre, line rental and every channel was £65 a month on a 12 month contract, with £99 upfront.

Roughly 70 a month less than I was paying Virgin, and has extended highlights of Championship games on demand as a bonus.

Was about £110 a month via Sky website, I think.

I do like the sound of that deal. Need to find me a man on the street then.

Spoke to a nice SKY lady today in Lincoln (who totally fancied me by the way) who quoted me £51 for the single Q box with all the Same I've got now except for slower (but ok) broadband.

Surprise surprise Virgin offered to match it (coming down from £84), so I'm staying put for the time being. Just too much hassle to have time off for installation & try to watch all the stuff on the TiVo hard drive. 

Noticed that you get better offers from the people in the shopping centres than online though. Best SKY price online was about £63 from memory. 

4 hours ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

Upgraded to SkyQ but even with fiber optic broadband my multi room box always drops connection. Its basically unwatchable at this point. 

Distance to the router is not unreasonable, internet speeds are consistent and there are no other issues. The only thing I can point it is the wifi receiver in the box being crap.

what have they said about that? did they change your wifi channel and all that malarkey?

5 hours ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

Upgraded to SkyQ but even with fiber optic broadband my multi room box always drops connection. Its basically unwatchable at this point. 

Distance to the router is not unreasonable, internet speeds are consistent and there are no other issues. The only thing I can point it is the wifi receiver in the box being crap.

Have you tried powerline plugs, so it's effectively wired (if there's a network port on the q box)?

On 19/10/2016 at 13:15, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

You're probably right. I have a Freesat box (2 tuners, pause, rewind all the gubbins) but trying to use it for catch-up stuff, the picture would freeze, or I would lose the wifi connection, even though it was only a couple of feet from the router. As soon as I connected with an ethernet cable it's been totally stable.

8 minutes ago, Boycie said:

Sometimes being too close to the router is a bad thing, as daft as it sounds.

It used to be in the next room, with the same results. I managed to move the router, for convenience, but it didn't improve. General feedback suggests it's common with this particular Humax box. Otherwise, a nice piece of kit.

I've just signed up for it, 2tb box and mini box, also sky fibre max broadband, been with virgin for six years for broadband and currently getting 150 gig so I hope I have not dropped a bo110ck, shy tell me should get 65 so that should be ok, bought it mainly for the UHD in the future.

No issues at all with connectivity here.

If you're wired in upstairs take the main box up there and move the mini downstairs nearer the router. 

If that doesn't work check your router settings, some come with "smart" features that are not so smart and try to switch you from 2.4ghz to 5 which can slow or disconnect you.

Turn this off or separate the 2.4ghz and 5ghz, upstairs make sure the mini is connected to 2.4ghz, slowler speeds but better range.

Archived