Derby to take part in EFL Trophy

Srg

DERBY County will not take part in the English Football League Trophy as part of a shake-up of the tournament in 2016-17.

English Football League chief executive Shaun Harvey has revealed invites will be sent to the 15 Premier League clubs with Category One academy status and Newcastle United, as they finished higher in the league pyramid last season than the five clubs with Category One status in the EFL.

http://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/derby-county-rams-will-not-take-part-in-football-league-trophy/story-29459257-detail/story.html#SCMEYbqZxDvdOleC.99

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, HantsRam said:

How on earth is pitting spindly premier league kids against league 1 and 2 cloggers going to help anyone? 

It'll normalise the idea of second teams. Make me puke.

Bit daft.

Newcastle's under 21s finished third bottom in the under-21 Premier League second tier. Reading finished lower mid-table in the top division. We won the second tier finishing above Arsenal and Swansea. 

There's no logic here. It's a case of just giving the Premier League clubs what they want. I thought it was a despicable idea anyway, but now they've also applied this 'logic' to it, it makes it worse. At the very least, it should be the top division sides. it would include us and Reading though.

Despicable. Not only are they tinkering with something that has been fine for many years, they are also hand picking which teams that would like to ruin the competition.

I imagine fans of quite a few lower league teams see this competition as their best chance of seeing their team play at Wembley and now that could be snatched away due to the greedy money men.

What will be next? Play the final in a foreign country? How about letting Premier League teams who have been knocked out of The FA Cup join the competition at the semi final stage?

Parasitic, pocket lining, pr1cks. EFL, EPL and FA all as bad as one another. Money comes before everything and yet still they pretend to search for the reasons why our national team is in such a state.

7 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Parasitic, pocket lining, pr1cks. EFL, EPL and FA all as bad as one another. Money comes before everything and yet still they pretend to search for the reasons why our national team is in such a state.

They will argue that allowing some of the top academies to play in more competitive scenarios, it will help the production line of talented youngsters, helping the national team. Which of course is bol****s because the academies are full of international players at Prem clubs. 

As has been said, it amazes me that they've said this, when us and Reading (to name two) have academies playing in the highest division, whereas some are struggling in tier 2. 

We needs more English players in the Prem, 30-40% is a joke. This isn't going to fix that, and affects thousands that support their small local teams (don't mean that to sound condescending, it's becoming that way with the Prem juggernaut moving away from our smaller, traditional teams)

1 hour ago, r4derby said:

They will argue that allowing some of the top academies to play in more competitive scenarios, it will help the production line of talented youngsters, helping the national team. Which of course is bol****s because the academies are full of international players at Prem clubs. 

As has been said, it amazes me that they've said this, when us and Reading (to name two) have academies playing in the highest division, whereas some are struggling in tier 2. 

We needs more English players in the Prem, 30-40% is a joke. This isn't going to fix that, and affects thousands that support their small local teams (don't mean that to sound condescending, it's becoming that way with the Prem juggernaut moving away from our smaller, traditional teams)

And the irony is that we all want to get there and be part of the juggernaut. 

I was far more excited looking at the fixture list than I know I would have been looking at if we had got in the prem.

I prefer playing Leeds and Forest to Man U and Chelsea, Rotherham/Huddersfield/Sheff Weds away far better than Swansea/Bournemouth/Stoke Away...who needs Arsenal away when u have Fulham and Brentford.

Then there are the small matters of Burton, Villa and Newcastle.

As I've got older and tired of watching Match of the Day and reading the Sun/News of the World, The Premier League interests me less and less.

Football is Football

Derby is Derby

No matter what league or age or what not I will love the Rams and watch them.

I think football will slowly die if these things keep being pushed through :ermm:

Watching Sunday league is much better than any box office show biz game

Sith Happens

I think its crazy the final gets played at Wembley, likewise the Non League trophy or whatever its called. Fair enough play it at the emirates or old trafford maybe. But wembley should be only for the top competitions.

It should be scrapped anyway....two cup competitions is enough and all league 1 and 2 take part earlier than the top two divisions.

On 3 July 2016 at 09:50, Paul71 said:

I think its crazy the final gets played at Wembley, likewise the Non League trophy or whatever its called. Fair enough play it at the emirates or old trafford maybe. But wembley should be only for the top competitions.

It should be scrapped anyway....two cup competitions is enough and all league 1 and 2 take part earlier than the top two divisions.

It's those clubs' chance of getting to Wembley.

On 03/07/2016 at 09:50, Paul71 said:

Why shouldn't the smaller clubs have the chance of a day out at Wembley? What you really mean is that Wembley should only be for the top clubs, not the top competitions.

Such a selfish attitude.

Sith Happens
8 minutes ago, eddie said:

Why shouldn't the smaller clubs have the chance of a day out at Wembley? What you really mean is that Wembley should only be for the top clubs, not the top competitions.

Such a selfish attitude.

Thats what wembley always was - the pinnacle - and in my mind thats how it should still be. For me allowing lesser competitions to play their final there (and i include the semi's of the fa cup) devalues the venue somewhat, i am not even convinced the play-offs should be played there...you go up automatically and no wembley trip, yet finish 6th maybe and you have a chance of a trip to wembley.

Its an opinion, not selfish, - im not likely to play there and as per my comment above dont think the play-offs should be played there so it doesnt make me selfish as that would mean little chance of seeing Derby play there. And dont forget Bradford got to the league cup final so it is possible for lower league clubs to get there in 'top competitions' - surely that has to mean more than if they got there in the FL trophy.

Archived