Derby to take part in EFL Trophy

Srg

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good opportunity to see the U23s more. Probably get chunks kicked out of them inside near-empty stadiums, though. A huge amount (it seems) of lower league club fans boycotting. 

4 minutes ago, davenportram said:

boycotts always sound worse than they are.

Doesn't need to be bad for empty stadiums, I don't think FL Trophy games averaged much before this.

10 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

Good opportunity to see the U23s more. Probably get chunks kicked out of them inside near-empty stadiums, though. A huge amount (it seems) of lower league club fans boycotting. 

Good luck to them. There's not a chance in hell that I'd go to any of these games if I was a fan of a league 1/2 club.

Just out of interest, how many are planning on going to our games and why would you rather go to these games than our fixtures in the U21 development league?

13 minutes ago, Anon said:

Good luck to them. There's not a chance in hell that I'd go to any of these games if I was a fan of a league 1/2 club.

Just out of interest, how many are planning on going to our games and why would you rather go to these games than our fixtures in the U21 development league?

U23* and I think many people going to the cup games would go to both.

I won't be going to the cup games, as I don't drive and I'm not paying for train costs to watch them. I'll go to some league games though.

3 minutes ago, bcnram said:

In what way?

My opinion, and my opinion only.

But I feel that we are belittling a competition, admittedly a competition that wasn't a resounding romantic or financial success, that gives a chance of a trophy to lower division teams. What gives us the right to play our U21's against another teams first team in a sanctioned FA competition? are we better than, say Oxford United? I despise the Premier league and the inequality that it has bred (Yes Leicester I know I know) I was also vehemently anti Gartsides proposition of stopping relegation for a PL2 and just because we are in a strong position now, both on and off teh pitch thanks Mel, I don;t think that we should forget where we have been and where we could end up again with the wrong ownership over which fans have no say. I think that teams with rich histories and trophies such as Notts County, Oxford, Luton, Coventry, Bolton and Sheffield United deserve more respect (Bolton and Notts County being founder members along with us) as well as do the clubs who have earned the right to be in the FL.

I may be wrong, I've been so on many occasions before but I just feel strongly about

2 minutes ago, Mick Harford said:

My opinion, and my opinion only.

But I feel that we are belittling a competition, admittedly a competition that wasn't a resounding romantic or financial success, that gives a chance of a trophy to lower division teams. What gives us the right to play our U21's against another teams first team in a sanctioned FA competition? are we better than, say Oxford United? I despise the Premier league and the inequality that it has bred (Yes Leicester I know I know) I was also vehemently anti Gartsides proposition of stopping relegation for a PL2 and just because we are in a strong position now, both on and off teh pitch thanks Mel, I don;t think that we should forget where we have been and where we could end up again with the wrong ownership over which fans have no say. I think that teams with rich histories and trophies such as Notts County, Oxford, Luton, Coventry, Bolton and Sheffield United deserve more respect (Bolton and Notts County being founder members along with us) as well as do the clubs who have earned the right to be in the FL.

I may be wrong, I've been so on many occasions before but I just feel strongly about

That's not to mention the fact that almost all the supporters of lower league teams are opposed to these changes. We could show some empathy to and solidarity with our fellow fans, or we could say "This might benefit Derby in some small way, so **** 'em".

Archived