Is Steve Mac positioning himself for the Newcastle job?

Orphanram

http://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/Derby-County-Steve-McClaren-says-attitude/story-26369045-detail/story.html

Intresting article in the DET this morning and I'm sure there will be differing views on this.

I think the subtext of what Steve is saying is that the staffand players are all pulling together but the supporters are not.

I think this is highlighted by the part in which he says things have been interesting lately and how you need everybody from the players, tea lady and supporters pulling together. He goes on to say that he feels that the staff and players have done this but he doesn't mention the supporters. I guess this doesn't seem like any great revelation but it's in the context he is saying it and mentioning that people are always looking for someone to blame.

Is this a veiled swipe at the fans? Is Mac forming this as a justification to leave for the toon job? Do we really still have an official tea lady?

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If he is saying what you are suggesting, I would say that he is well within his rights. Especially if he feels some of the negativity and tension is rubbing off on his players. We as fans need to understand that players perform better when they are relaxed and confident.

I think that the atmosphere at the iPro has been very flat since the turn of the year. We are turning out in big numbers but not necessarily getting behind the team as we should. It`s almost as if the crowd are expecting us to win every game 4-0 and when we dont, or we go behind the murmurings start.

What he cant be critical of is our away support which is nothing short of magnificent at almost every game. Big numbers and constant support

I agree ( I perhaps should have been clearer in my thread that I didn't actually disagree with him) and your spot on about the away fans. I was thinking more along the lines is this where his PR excercise begins because there are a few external voices in the media/comments saying he should stay where he is after being given a chance by Derby after his career was in a slump. If it is spun as though the fans were discontented it May deflect any negativity away fro him. I have read prior to SMac joining Derby he is very conscious of his media profile and the public perception of him (dunno if true)

poor old mac is looking stressed, every time I listen to him he sounds defeated, is it fan pressure ? I hope he can lay this rumour to bed when he attends this "meet the team", hope we can get back to supporting him and the team...

​Something tells me this will only end in tears. No good can come of a bunch of dimwits moaning at the manager directly.

poor old mac is looking stressed, every time I listen to him he sounds defeated, is it fan pressure ? I hope he can lay this rumour to bed when he attends this "meet the team", hope we can get back to supporting him and the team...

​You're right. He should stay here. If he thinks this is unreasonable pressure [and it is], I can't start to imagine what he will make of his reception at Newcastle.

Yeah we've had some moaning fans but don't you think that dragging around this black cloud over your future has affected the players a bit? You used to be able to get a reaction out of them with stirring words. Looks to me like they just don't believe a word that comes out of your mouth anymore Steve.

Yeah we've had some moaning fans but don't you think that dragging around this black cloud over your future has affected the players a bit? You used to be able to get a reaction out of them with stirring words. Looks to me like they just don't believe a word that comes out of your mouth anymore Steve.

​So what happened at half time on Saturday then......to quote Ince "I have never seen him so angry in my time here" sort of shoots your argument down straight away.

I sit in the south stand and its quite strange to hear the groans and moans around the ground when we are not attacking at a ridiculous pace all game, against Blackpool there were people moaning because we weren't getting the ball forward quick enough even though we were 2-0 up. Its strange how much a good season can change the atmosphere within a ground, in my opinion this year the crowd has been much quieter than last which is such a shame because we are so loud when we all get behind the team, we see it in spurts during games but never throughout.

Derby fans a bunch of moaners?!! Nowt that hasnt been said before. Cloughie senior was on our case about it numerous times back in the day, and we were Champions of England then... 

Are we any moanier than other fans? Remember being in the Kop one night in the 80s. Liverpool 4-0 up v Luton I think and the fans there were on Barry Venisons case the whole game..by way of example.

sorry, but i don't accept for one second that fans who moan are out of order. Fair enough, those who moan when we are 2-0 up etc or those that shout personal abuse towards a player, then fine. But i'll be damned if i'm going to be told by a manager, player etc that i shouldn't moan at my team if they are playing ****, or systematically throwing a season away, bottling it etc. If i turned up to work and put in a crap shift, would i be moaned at? absolutely! not to mention probably being turfed out on my backside as well! Footballers and managers know the score, you are in the spotlight, being watched by thousands of people scrutinizing your every move, of course somebody is going to bloody moan! 

Most Footballers are paid in a week what most people earn in a year! get a bloody grip, dry your eyes and get on with your job, trying to win football matches! do that, and miraculously, the moaning will stop! 

Mac hasn't helped himself one bit with the Newcastle speculation, he knows the score, the rumors, the doubt in supporters minds. this, encompassed with the fact that we have won 2 games in 11 matches! and fans will put 2+2 together, sure, they may get five sometimes but again, he needs to help us to help himself. Either say you are going, or you're staying, simple as that! 

to start blaming supporters, the board etc is the easy way out, maybe he should look a little closer to home! 

I sit in the south stand and its quite strange to hear the groans and moans around the ground when we are not attacking at a ridiculous pace all game, against Blackpool there were people moaning because we weren't getting the ball forward quick enough even though we were 2-0 up. Its strange how much a good season can change the atmosphere within a ground, in my opinion this year the crowd has been much quieter than last which is such a shame because we are so loud when we all get behind the team, we see it in spurts during games but never throughout.

​God at the Charlton game we were 2-0 up and cruising and you'd have thought we were losing, everyone was getting on the back of every player including my Dad who I kept telling we are winning you know. Yes the game got a little boring after 2-0 up and the dream of going on to win 5 or 6 which at first it looked like didn't happen but whats funny is everyone was moaning in that game and it really did come back to bite the moaners on the bottom as we didn't win any of our next 7 games. 

Speaking of my Dad he is a perfect example of this expectation which seems to have gone to a lot of fans heads. We played one year of excellent flowing football, not decades, yet most fans demand it now. And with my dad this expectation seems to have got the better of him for some reason this season and this is a guy who lived through the brian clough and dave mackay years. He has always liked to have a bit of a moan but this season every little pass that is under or over hit, he's shouting stuff. I don't think he's even noticed that he's actually changed and hes become much more of a moaner about everything. In the past under the likes of Phil Brown, Billy Davies, Paul Jewell and Nigel Clough I agreed with some of his occasional moaning but it gets ridiculous sometimes and a lot of people around where he sits are the same. I only sit with him every now and again luckily, my sister has to put up with him every home game though.

sorry, but i don't accept for one second that fans who moan are out of order. Fair enough, those who moan when we are 2-0 up etc or those that shout personal abuse towards a player, then fine. But i'll be damned if i'm going to be told by a manager, player etc that i shouldn't moan at my team if they are playing ****, or systematically throwing a season away, bottling it etc. If i turned up to work and put in a crap shift, would i be moaned at? absolutely! not to mention probably being turfed out on my backside as well! Footballers and managers know the score, you are in the spotlight, being watched by thousands of people scrutinizing your every move, of course somebody is going to bloody moan! 

Most Footballers are paid in a week what most people earn in a year! get a bloody grip, dry your eyes and get on with your job, trying to win football matches! do that, and miraculously, the moaning will stop! 

Mac hasn't helped himself one bit with the Newcastle speculation, he knows the score, the rumors, the doubt in supporters minds. this, encompassed with the fact that we have won 2 games in 11 matches! and fans will put 2+2 together, sure, they may get five sometimes but again, he needs to help us to help himself. Either say you are going, or you're staying, simple as that! 

to start blaming supporters, the board etc is the easy way out, maybe he should look a little closer to home! 

​perhaps we'd all be better off if you kept your money in your pocket and stayed away.

​perhaps we'd all be better off if you kept your money in your pocket and stayed away.

​So you have never moaned in a game? ever? did you not moan when Christie, not once, but twice! gave the ball away for Watfords opener the other week? 

Show me a football fan who has never moaned at a game, and i'll show you a liar, all part and parcel of football 

Archived