Johnny Russell

Ramchope

After all this I believe he isn't a starting player!!! On an interview by Nigel Clough he said "it will be good for him to step In if wardy gets injured and also pushing for a starting place".

Please someone tell me I'm mistaken. Its on dcfcofficial YouTube if you want to see it.

Clough said.

“We missed Jamie for periods of last season and we needed someone to step in, and even push for a starting place – although it would be nice to see Johnny and Jamie together in a combination as well, and see how they play up front.

Read more at http://www.dcfc.co.uk/news/article/clough-backs-russell-to-shine-868666.aspx#cjYsKZ3ruSwBy2kF.99 "

To be it is more that last season there was no replacement for Ward, lack of strength in depth and competition. Not that russel is second choice but he provides competition, options etc...

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

could you lend me £600k? Bit shirt this week.

Where do I send it?

You know what I mean though... As much as a hate it when people start saying the board need to put their hands in their pockets I also hate it when people act like £1m is a lot for a striker...

Money in football is daft... Is £700k a lot of money? Yes... Is £700k a lot of money for a striker? No...

I think the lad looks good, and at £700k is a bargain... If he turns out to be a 20 goal a season striker then it will be the kind of 'Adam Le Fondre' type buy everyone's been crwoing about...

Where do I send it?

You know what I mean though... As much as a hate it when people start saying the board need to put their hands in their pockets I also hate it when people act like £1m is a lot for a striker...

Money in football is daft... Is £700k a lot of money? Yes... Is £700k a lot of money for a striker? No...

I think the lad looks good, and at £700k is a bargain... If he turns out to be a 20 goal a season striker then it will be the kind of 'Adam Le Fondre' type buy everyone's been crwoing about...

If he scored 20 goals, he'll be in a whole other ball park to the Le Fondre signing. Le Fondre managed what... 12 Championship goals, the same number as Theo, in a similar amount of playing time, and a supposedly larger fee. The only thing impressive about him was that he bagged a few for a team that went straight back down, and I would hardly find a poacher bagging a few surprising. Anyhow, 20 goals for £700k would be in excess of a Ricki Lambert type signing, and with age on his side if Russell could pull that off he'd be a coup of a generation for us. Personally I don't see it as likely that he'll get many more than 10-12, but we'll see how he gets on.

If he scored 20 goals, he'll be in a whole other ball park to the Le Fondre signing. Le Fondre managed what... 12 Championship goals, the same number as Theo, in a similar amount of playing time, and a supposedly larger fee. The only thing impressive about him was that he bagged a few for a team that went straight back down, and I would hardly find a poacher bagging a few surprising. Anyhow, 20 goals for £700k would be in excess of a Ricki Lambert type signing, and with age on his side if Russell could pull that off he'd be a coup of a generation for us. Personally I don't see it as likely that he'll get many more than 10-12, but we'll see how he gets on.

I agree with you Albert. I think the kid will do well and give us another dimension but if we get between 10-15 goals from each of our strikers next season I think we'll be in excellent shape.

I don't think we should burden Russell with the pressure of being our 20 goal striker because he's going to take time to adjust and may well be played out wide from time to time.

I don't need 20 from him... I just want him to add to the team...

I just don't think £700k is a lot to be spending on a forward, but everyone's seems to be suggesting it's loads...

Out of interest, what goal return do people consider would be a fair return? I ask since I'm worried that he'll end up being slated if he doesn't have 10 by Christmas...

I agree with you Albert. I think the kid will do well and give us another dimension but if we get between 10-15 goals from each of our strikers next season I think we'll be in excellent shape.

I don't think we should burden Russell with the pressure of being our 20 goal striker because he's going to take time to adjust and may well be played out wide from time to time.

As I've said for most of the off season so far, goals weren't even our issue last season, it was the defence. Having a player like Russell, who can offer something different up front though will be a boost. If we could hit, let's say 70 goals this season, we'd be genuine shout for the top half of the playoffs.

Think about how we did last season:

Ward: 12

Sammon: 8

Theo: 8

Hendrick: 5

Bryson: 5

Tyson: 4

Keogh: 4

Davies: 4

Buxton: 3

Coutts: 3

Martin: 2

Jacobs: 2

Hughes: 2

Brayford: 1

O'Connor: 1

Own Goals: 1

Total: 65

If there's any errors could someone point it out. Another way of putting it would be:

Ward: 12

Sammon: 8

Other Forwards: 14

Midfield: 21

Defence: 9

Other: 1

Total: 65

So if we can replace Theo and Tyson's combined 12 and then some with Russell and Martin, get Bennett into the side, then a repeat performance from the defence and midfield could see us end up realistically with 70+ goals. We'll see how that all goes though.

I don't need 20 from him... I just want him to add to the team...

I just don't think £700k is a lot to be spending on a forward, but everyone's seems to be suggesting it's loads...

Out of interest, what goal return do people consider would be a fair return? I ask since I'm worried that he'll end up being slated if he doesn't have 10 by Christmas...

£700k is absolute peanuts, you're right about that. Anything under £2 mil is a bargain generally for a striker at this level. Even Sammon was on the cheapish side at £1.2 mil. When you compare it to other strikers in this division, £700k is absolutely nothing.

Dundee United fan here. I was disappointed to see Johnny go to you guys, but I hope he does really well for you, he has all the attributes to make it in the championship. I just thought I'd share this video I just made which shows every goal Johnny scored for us, it should give you a good idea of what you are getting.

Dundee United fan here. I was disappointed to see Johnny go to you guys, but I hope he does really well for you, he has all the attributes to make it in the championship. I just thought I'd share this video I just made which shows every goal Johnny scored for us, it should give you a good idea of what you are getting.

He will score but no more than 20 (in the league that is)

Looking at that video you notice a lot of stuff that falls to him in the box he takes first time. Those same chances falling to Sammon or Ward and they'd take a touch, allowing a defender to close them down. He also looks like he's got very good balance & strength when under pressure from defenders.

Colour me, excited about this one.

Cracking video. Gonna show my ignorance but what is the first song used in it?

Seems a composed and confident finisher, hope he keeps that up here.

Impressed by the amount of goals he scores with his head too considering he's not all that big.

Good video mate, cheers.

He reminds me a lot of Jamie Ward from these clips, good instincts, shoots on sight, quick across the deck, better in the air than Sammon :ph34r:

Good luck without Johnny next season!

Clough said.

“We missed Jamie for periods of last season and we needed someone to step in, and even push for a starting place – although it would be nice to see Johnny and Jamie together in a combination as well, and see how they play up front.

Read more at http://www.dcfc.co.uk/news/article/clough-backs-russell-to-shine-868666.aspx#cjYsKZ3ruSwBy2kF.99 "

To be it is more that last season there was no replacement for Ward, lack of strength in depth and competition. Not that russel is second choice but he provides competition, options etc...

Sammon in the middle, ward on his left, russell on his right, being supported by jacobs(russell) and coutts(ward)

is there no one that will admit this may just work, i can feel it being an extremely effective combination in the championship

Archived