Johnny Russell

Ramchope

Not completely sure if he made it to Tenerife..

He tweeted that his flight was cancelled when he got to the airport, never said anything after that.

Fkin ryanair.......i guarantee their travel insurance will not pay out.

Never buy their travel insurane.

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After all this I believe he isn't a starting player!!! On an interview by Nigel Clough he said "it will be good for him to step In if wardy gets injured and also pushing for a starting place".

Please someone tell me I'm mistaken. Its on dcfcofficial YouTube if you want to see it.

I heard that as well. As much as I love Jamie, I believe Russell is better all round player. As much as Wardy loves it up there, I think his best position is on the wing as he is so quick and unpredictable. I think he is a bit too weak up front in this league. Surely we did not pay nearly £1 million for a player who will come in for a player who we signed for 400k if he is injured.

I heard that as well. As much as I love Jamie, I believe Russell is better all round player. As much as Wardy loves it up there, I think his best position is on the wing as he is so quick and unpredictable. I think he is a bit too weak up front in this league. Surely we did not pay nearly £1 million for a player who will come in for a player who we signed for 400k if he is injured.

Just perhaps he's saying to JR - look matey just because we've signed you for a chunk of money don't think that you step straight into the first team.  You've got to do some work to do that ie 'keep pushing for a starting place'

And perhaps he's also saying to JW - I'm a bit cheesed off with all the time that you are having off work, sick.  Pull your socks up matey, start scoring some goals and start staying fit because I've bought someone here who can take your place, and maybe keep you out of the team if he does well.

And perhaps he's also saying to all the strikers - I haven't been happy with your returns so far.  Get a grip.  And I will rotate you as I see fit, so don't expect to play every game.

Seem to remember another DCFC manager doing something not too dissimilar to new signings.  Keeps'em on their toes.

Guys from what Clough has said it seems none of the 4 striking options are definitely "penciled in" for a starting line up position.

Clough has eluded quite a lot to the fact that Cardiff's top goalscorer was like less than 15 and Hull City didnt have a player that made double figures.

He wants different options.

You look at the squad and there are goals all over.

CB's Keogh and Bucko made double figures combined last season.

Hendrick should be pushing to get more than this season which from memory was around 7.

If Bryson doesn't get injured he could score a few.

We all know what Ward COULD do if he was never injured.

Clough has publicly criticised Coutts' lack of goals and towards the back end he was shooting more and actually driving at the defence when he picked up the ball.

I genuinely think Sammon will get more goals this season just from shooting more (he had 52 shots in 46 games for those who wanted to know) that's shambolic for a striker.

Russell is an unknown entity. (Gonna score 30 ;) )

Martin, I think will prove a lot of people wrong, especially with a pre season.

Then you have the players on the fringe, Ben Davies always scores, Jacobs has Tekkers,

There is going to be goals goals goals this season...... If we play the same style as last season and have less injuries but injuries will naturally occur.

Then you factor in Lee Grant, hopefully single handedly will lower our goals against by 6 or 7 (the amount of goals we conceded from goalkeeping errors). And the fact that Craig Forsyth's aerial abililty meant towards the back end of last season we conceded less from crosses.

It's alright just sitting here and stating all this on paper but I honestly think we, simply put, will do better than last season. Whether than be finishing 8th or winning the league?

After all this I believe he isn't a starting player!!! On an interview by Nigel Clough he said "it will be good for him to step In if wardy gets injured and also pushing for a starting place".

Please someone tell me I'm mistaken. Its on dcfcofficial YouTube if you want to see it.

Translation: "Boooo Clough out"?

We haven't had one for a couple of days.

;)

Didnt his father say basically the same thing when he signed Trevor Francis - and paid a record transfer fee - at Forest?

I'd put (not much) money on him not starting in the first game of the season. Just Clough's way. Then he'll bring him on 20 mins later than he should of

First implied "Boooo Clough out" of the day...

oh no, it was the second.

Good interview with him online in the telegraph.

http://www.thisisderbyshire.co.uk/Russell-aims-high-life-Rams/story-19285094-detail/story.html#axzz2WHdoAf95

NEW signing Johnny Russell feels he can be part of something special at Derby County.

Russell joined the Rams from Dundee United this week.

The striker, who cost around £700,000, put pen to paper on a four-year contract – and senses a real belief around the club that they can push for promotion back to the Premier League in 2013-14

“That is the feeling I got,” he said. “The club has done well for a few years but now is the time we really want to push for it.

“Hopefully, we can do that next season.“The aim is to get to the Premier League and I will be working hard to achieve that.

“I want to be a part of something special.”

Russell is relishing the prospect of working under boss Nigel Clough following his move to Pride Park.

“The manager told me what he wanted to achieve and he was really excited about me coming in,” said the 23-year-old forward.

“He’s got a great reputation and I’m really looking forward to working with him. “Craig (Bryson, who he knows from his time in Scotland) says he’s really great to work for.”

It seems Clough is not the only person excited by the arrival of Russell, who says he has been inundated with messages from Rams fans welcoming him to the club.

“It’s been immense,” he added. “My Twitter has been going crazy.

“But it’s all been positive and it’s nice to know there is a bit of a buzz around the place and people seem to be excited.

“From that perspective, it’s been a really nice touch.”

Russell has previously been quoted as saying he would like to play abroad and was linked with Italian side Catania during his time north of the border.

A move to England may not be quite as exotic but the former Scotland Under-21 international cannot wait to test his skills in the Championship.

“I don’t know if I count England as ‘abroad’ but I’ve wanted to try something different,” he said.

“I always watch the highlights from the Championship and it is a great standard. “It is a step up from the SPL (Scottish Premier League) and I’m looking forward to the challenge. “No disrespect to the SPL but the Championship is such a competitive league.”

Russell has played against new team-mates Bryson and Conor Sammon before in Scotland, while he has seen what the others can do on the television.

“I know about a lot of the players from glimpses of them on the TV and it looks like an exciting team who like to play football the right way,” he said.

“That interested me and, hopefully, next season, we can turn that into a great run and get ourselves up.”

As for what his colleagues and the Derby fans can expect from him, Russell said: “They have got a player who will give 100% whenever he is asked to go out on the pitch, as well as someone with a lot of pace who will, hopefully, score some goals.”

Russell netted 20 goals for United last season, despite missing more than two months due to a broken leg.

Can he replicate that kind of form in front of goal for the Rams, whose last player to score 20 goals in a season was Dean Sturridge in 1995-96?

“I hope so,” he said. “That’s the reason I play football – you want to score goals and you want to win.

“But as long as I can play a part for the team, I’ll be happy.”

People worried about Russell not being first choice  :lol:

I know 700k isn't 'a lot' of money - but every time we step over that 500k mark, believe me when I say he'll be expected to make the grade and then more! 

You think we'd spend that sort of money on a player not playing first team football?  :lol: Last thing we need however is a player thinking that he'll be in the first team no matter what, we need everybody to push on! 

Archived