Johnny Russell

Ramchope

Barca had well over 60% possession, but while Celtic defended valiantly, 9/10 times Barca would have won.

I think Benfica and Spartak in comparison to Real (semi-finalists, easily one of the best teams in the world), Dortmund (runners up) and Ajax (arguably the best team in Holland) are far easier. 

Do you realise what you're actually saying? I'm astounded.Celtic were literally seconds away from drawing against Barca at the Nou Camp, which shows you that Celtic could more than match them. The fact that you state that "9/10 Barca would've won" shows utter stupidity. You don't happen to have next weeks lottery numbers, do you? Wow, perspective shows that Manchester City should have competed with those teams in question, in regards to the squad they have. Celtic went out there with a former Ssausagehorpe player in their ranks and still managed to beat Benfica (better than Ajax) and Spartak Moscow to second place. Manchester City were dreadful, and saying their group was harder is just stupid. Manchester City were the Champions of England. We're not talking about Wigan Athletic.

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kris Boyd scored six goals in ten appearances. On what planet is that rubbish?

Just as a point of order: 12 goals in 39 championship appearances if you include Boro.

Not bad really, although 4 of those came in 2 games (leaving 8 in 37 with a 10 game goalless run) but perhaps not a total befitting the all time top SPL goalscorer.

(As a further stat he scored in 10 of 39 games)

JR is no Messi or Ronaldo but the guy has great ability and will shine in the Championship. He has a great left foot, a decent right foot, takes players on, great link up play & can spot a pass.That game he scored the cracker, he worked his socks off, like he does every game. Even when JR doesn`t score he can still be your best player on the park & if he gets good service he will make things happen.

If up front is where Derby are lacking, then i believe u just got your man. Sammon had 1 lucky season in Scotland but tbh i dont rate him & i wouldn`t mention him in the same breathe as Russel imo.

Thanks ScoDAv whatever reservations we might have of SPL football, I really hope youre right about JR, yes we were lacking upfront , also concede too many from set pieces so I think we still need to strengthen. 

Midfield is strong with two very promising youngsters Hughes and Hendrick plus another good Scot Craig Bryson.

Just as a point of order: 12 goals in 39 championship appearances if you include Boro.

Not bad really, although 4 of those came in 2 games (leaving 8 in 37 with a 10 game goalless run) but perhaps not a total befitting the all time top SPL goalscorer.

(As a further stat he scored in 10 of 39 games)

A goal every three games is not bad I would say, for a guy's first season at a new team and in a new league, I agree, he didn't live up to the "hype", but in general, that's down to Kris Boyd. He seems to have lost all his passion for the game. He's playing for Killie now, which shows you far he has fallen. You would've expected him to go back to Killie a few years down the line, but not at this time in his career.

Do you realise what you're actually saying? I'm astounded.Celtic were literally seconds away from drawing against Barca at the Nou Camp, which shows you that Celtic could more than match them. The fact that you state that "9/10 Barca would've won" shows utter stupidity. You don't happen to have next weeks lottery numbers, do you? Wow, perspective shows that Manchester City should have competed with those teams in question, in regards to the squad they have. Celtic went out there with a former Ssausagehorpe player in their ranks and still managed to beat Benfica (better than Ajax) and Spartak Moscow to second place. Manchester City were dreadful, and saying their group was harder is just stupid. Manchester City were the Champions of England. We're not talking about Wigan Athletic.

What I'm trying to argue is that you're suggesting that Celtic are some world-class team, who can 'more than match' Barcelona, which they clearly can't! There's no denying there was an element of luck to the win. Celtic did a LOT of defending, they didn't match Barca, they suppressed them. I'm not saying I'm mystic meg, but you know that if that game was played over again 10 times, the majority of the times, Barca would win. We beat Man U a few seasons back (a certain Kris Commons scored the winner) and then gave them a good game at Old Trafford. But it didn't mean that we were any near as good of a side as them. Celtic are good but they're not that good. You'd back your Evertons/Liverpools to beat them.

So I guess when Arsenal go out with Walcott and Oxlade-Chamberlain they go out with 'just some kids from Southampton'? It doesn't matter where the player comes from.

why is this thread still going?. OFF-topic.

This record-breaking thread has now lost credibility as so many comments are unrelated.

Glad that Arse-faced Steve Bruce has waited until now to bid for Hooper. Had he bid last week, things could've been different for Johnny Russell and Derby.

What I'm trying to argue is that you're suggesting that Celtic are some world-class team, who're can 'more than match' Barcelona, which they clearly can't! There's no denying there was an element of luck to the win. Celtic did a LOT of defending, they didn't match Barca, they suppressed them. I'm not saying I'm mystic meg, but you know that if that game was played over again 10 times, the majority of the times, Barca would win. We beat Man U a few seasons back (a certain Kris Commons scored the winner) and then gave them a good game at Old Trafford. But it didn't mean that we were any near as good of a side as them. Celtic are good but they're not that good. You'd back your Evertons/Liverpools to beat them.

So I guess when Arsenal go out with Walcott and Oxlade-Chamberlain they go out with 'just some kids from Southampton'?bIt doesn't matter where the player comes from.

What? Do you actually know what you're saying? When did I suggest that Celtic were world class? Celtic did match Barcelona, because they BEAT THEM! DUH! Celtic did a lot of defending? Yes, that's one of the main parts of football, did you not realise this? Jesus. You really haven't watched football before have you? Maybe if Barca defended better then they wouldn't have conceded twice, eh?

They surpressed them? Hahaha! If it was as easy that, everybody would be using that tactic, and everybody would be beating Barcelona. Celtic more than matched them at the Nou Camp, succumbing to a last second winner by them. Even the most idiotic person would say that Celtic more than matched over two games. Barcelona scored three goals and Celtic scored three goals.

The reason I brought up Gary Hooper being a signing from Southampton is because you had the audacity to claim that  "Celtic had the easier group". With perspective Manchester City are a team full of world class players and the Champions of England, so should have more than matched the teams in their group (Ajax lol). 

Liverpool would beat Celtic? This is the same team that drew with the mighty Hearts in front of packed Anfield in competitive competion? Right, nae bother mate. A team that reached the last 16 vs a team that could barely beat a club who finished tenth in the SPL. Oh, and by the way. Why did you pluralise Liverpool and Everton for no reason? "Liverpools/Evertons"?

If Celtic are **** then why did they beat Barcalona and only lose by a goal a new camp? Lucky or not, they're great results. Celtic would beat anyone in our league, so don't start.

The fact that you state that "9/10 Barca would've won Celtic could beat anyone in this league" shows utter stupidity. You don't happen to have next weeks lottery numbers, do you?

Biffy,

Do you talk to people like this in real life?

Do you drive a BMW?

Did you get told off a lot at school?

No, its just that I've never seen such a collection of ill informed fact and opinion in my life, collated in one place.

What? Do you actually know what you're saying? When did I suggest that Celtic were world class? Celtic did match Barcelona, because they BEAT THEM! DUH! Celtic did a lot of defending? Yes, that's one of the main parts of football, did you not realise this? Jesus. You really haven't watched football before have you? Maybe if Barca defended better then they wouldn't have conceded twice, eh?

They surpressed them? Hahaha! If it was as easy that, everybody would be using that tactic, and everybody would be beating Barcelona. Celtic more than matched them at the Nou Camp, succumbing to a last second winner by them. Even the most idiotic person would say that Celtic more than matched over two games. Barcelona scored three goals and Celtic scored three goals.

The reason I brought up Gary Hooper being a signing from Southampton is because you had the audacity to claim that  "Celtic had the easier group". With perspective Manchester City are a team full of world class players and the Champions of England, so should have more than matched the teams in their group (Ajax lol). 

Liverpool would beat Celtic? This is the same team that drew with the mighty Hearts in front of packed Anfield in competitive competion? Right, nae bother mate. A team that reached the last 16 vs a team that could barely beat a club who finished tenth in the SPL. Oh, and by the way. Why did you pluralise Liverpool and Everton for no reason? "Liverpools/Evertons"?

"http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-X656GqaK9W8/T-NFoBqWHtI/AAAAAAAAAeQ/E9WGtUO7wZU/s1600/Bus" alt="Bus">

You parked the bus. That's not matching them and you know it. Matching them is going at them and having an equal amount of chances.

I pluralized it because I said your Evertons/Liverpools, like saying clubs of that standard. And you take fluke results far too seriously, teams beat other teams unexpectedly. If Celtic matched Barca how come Barca were in the semi's while you got trounced by Juve in the next round?

And no, I've never seen football before actually, I accumulated over 3000 posts on a football forum from pure guess work, yet you're the first person to discover me.

Archived