Johnny Russell

Ramchope

Why?

There is an awful lot of truth in what he said - this forum is occasionally rife with people who vent their xenophobic spleens and call it 'banter', and it's easy to see why some would be offended. I'm as guilty as the next person, so I'm not being 'holier than thou' - after all, I take the pee out of Bris in a similar manner (I've just basically dropped an enchillada-based black cat gag).

It's not clever, and now I'm going to cool off and have breakfast.

Porridge and a mars bar.

Guess sensitivity is an argument for another day. However, would not exactly be offended by any of the English stereotypes if they were thrown at me.

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Guess sensitivity is an argument for another day. However, would not exactly be offended by any of the English stereotypes if they were thrown at me.

What stereotypes do the Scots have for English people? I can't really think of any at all. Apart from the fact that we can't stand the English media, but that's not exactly offensive, is it? You don't hear people saying "Roast beef munchers" or "UKIP supporting racists" do you? No, because it's silly.

What stereotypes do the Scots have for English people? I can't really think of any at all. Apart from the fact that we can't stand the English media, but that's not exactly offensive, is it? You don't hear people saying "Roast beef munchers" or "UKIP supporting racists" do you? No, because it's silly.

Stereotypes, not sure, can't think of any but then the english take the piss out of ourselves and each other as well, geordies, scousers, cornish and londoners all get it. I have spent a fair bit of time up there (family are in cattle trade) and the vast majority are lovely but have had a few occasions where my accent has brought hostility, aggression and abuse.

I didn't care and it has not made one jot of difference to my opinion of scots (positive btw) as i know it was not the majority, I also came it for a lot of light natured ribbing which was fine.

It is an internet forum, and you really need to take that into account when you react to this stuff. people can be inappropriate but I honestly have not seen anything that was not basically predictable (haggis etc) and imo fairly harmless, you may disagree but I think if you let stuff like that bother you when posted on a forum like this you will be constantly upset and it really is not worth it.

We could also ask why the english generally root for the scots in sport whilst the scots support whoever we are playing against.

I love the caveat "Celtic aside". Why put Celtic "aside"? They're part of the SPL. That'd be like saying "Real Madrid and Barcelona aside, La Liga is rubbish". It's a silly thing to do. The SPL had a team in the last 16 of the Champion's League, whilst the reigning English Champions were knocked with a few games to spare, and Chelsea had to drop into the Europa League. Johnny Russell has scored a goal at Celtic Park last season, a place where Celtic beat Barcelona.

The absolute negatvity of a player based on hs nationality is astounding in it's ignorance, and it's rather unerving whiff of xenophobia has to be questioned. The most goals Ross McMormack scored in the SPL before moving to Cardiff was eight, his first season in Wales garnered 23 goals. That must mean that the Champonship is three times easier to score in. Or more logically, take each player on their individual merits, and don't bother sticking them ln in the same bracket because they are of the same nationality. I thought that would be obvious though?

Celtic aren't a fair representation of the quality you'll face in the SPL every week.

It's the same point pundits miss when the call the PL the 'best league in the world'. They are talking about 6 teams who are pretty competitive in European compettition.

If you think you can't put Barca and Real Madrid aside when talking about the strength of La Liga then La Liga is bloody impossible.

Celtic are miles away from the rest of the SPL.

Can we stick to the topic of 'Jonny Russell' please people?

This isn't a thread about a love in which we may or may not have with our Scottish neighbours.

Ta in advance.

Call me pessimistic but I have a horrible feeling with this signing.

1. He'll get injured and never be the same again.

2. Nigel will play him out of position.

3. He'll always be on the bench.

Something stuck in the back of my head says 'Don't build your hopes up'

Call me pessimistic but I have a horrible feeling with this signing.

1. He'll get injured and never be the same again.

2. Nigel will play him out of position.

3. He'll always be on the bench.

Something stuck in the back of my head says 'Don't build your hopes up'

It strikes me that is precisely what you are doing - building the hopes up of your own agenda. Could do with working on your brevity though.

Most people who think like you just say 'Boooo, Clough out' 

It strikes me that is precisely what you are doing - building the hopes up of your own agenda. Could do with working on your brevity though.

Most people who think like you just say 'Boooo, Clough out'

booo, scots out...

Whoops got confused with all the different topics

You had your chance people, you blew it. Posts deleted which went o/t.

Now.

Jonny Russell.

What size shoe does he take?

When do the English generally root for the Scots? Why should the English root for Scotland? Two seperate entities. Look at any Scottish story on the BBC website. You're gauranteed at least one "anti" Scots comment. It's generally the same sort of ill informed comments that some of the posters on here hit out with.

Well I can recall wen scotland qualified for the World Cup and England didnt , yes I am THAT old.

That was the days of Archie Gemmill and Bruce Rioch in the 1970s. Rams or ex-Rams at the time. We supported Scotland as the British representatives and because our players were playing for them. That doesnt happen at all in Scotland , when England are in major tournaments and Scotland are not, infact quite the opposite. There's really no good reason not to support the British representative.

Archived