Johnny Russell

Ramchope

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Has anyone actually seen him play a more than 5 games?

And I exclude Dundee Utd fans in this one.. Because they're obviously going to say he's good and they also have no idea of the standard required to play NPC football

Sorry, am I missing something? Do you actually believe the "NPC" is light years ahead of the SPL? From what I've seen of The Championship, a lot of the tactics are long ball, with the emphasis on massive defenders with barely any technique. Most SPL teams actually play the ball on the surface. St Mirren and Killie especiallly. Hearts finished tenth in the SPL yet drew with Liverpool at Anfield. Narrowly going out of the Europa league, in a  2-1 aggregate loss.Johhny Russell will hopefully be an asset to Derby, but to shoot him down before he has played a game, because "the world class Championship" might be a bit difficult for him is ludicrous.

It doesn't help itself when Inverness CT, a team which finished 4th and missed out on Europe have just signed players from Coleraine, Hereford United, Burnley Reserves, Cheltenham Town, Kidderminster Harriers, Kendal Town (just been relegated from Northern Premier League) and Ebbsfleet United.

Fair to say Bris Vegas isn't a massive fan of the quality in the Championship, neither am I but does seem a step up from the SPL Celtic aside.

It doesn't help itself when Inverness CT, a team which finished 4th and missed out on Europe have just signed players from Coleraine, Hereford United, Burnley Reserves, Cheltenham Town, Kidderminster Harriers, Kendal Town (just been relegated from Northern Premier League) and Ebbsfleet United.

Fair to say Bris Vegas isn't a massive fan of the quality in the Championship, neither am I but does seem a step up from the SPL Celtic aside.

I love the caveat "Celtic aside". Why put Celtic "aside"? They're part of the SPL. That'd be like saying "Real Madrid and Barcelona aside, La Liga is rubbish". It's a silly thing to do. The SPL had a team in the last 16 of the Champion's League, whilst the reigning English Champions were knocked with a few games to spare, and Chelsea had to drop into the Europa League. Johnny Russell has scored a goal at Celtic Park last season, a place where Celtic beat Barcelona.

The absolute negatvity of a player based on hs nationality is astounding in it's ignorance, and it's rather unerving whiff of xenophobia has to be questioned. The most goals Ross McMormack  scored in the SPL before moving to Cardiff was eight, his first season in Wales garnered 23 goals. That must mean that the Champonship is three times easier to score in. Or more logically, take each player on their individual merits, and don't bother sticking them ln in the same bracket because they are of the same nationality. I thought that would be obvious though?

I love the caveat "Celtic aside". Why put Celtic "aside"? They're part of the SPL. That'd be like saying "Real Madrid and Barcelona aside, La Liga is rubbish". It's a silly thing to do. The SPL had a team in the last 16 of the Champion's League, whilst the reigning English Champions were knocked with a few games to spare, and Chelsea had to drop into the Europa League. Johnny Russell has scored a goal at Celtic Park last season, a place where Celtic beat Barcelona.

The absolute negatvity of a player based on hs nationality is astounding in it's ignorance, and it's rather unerving whiff of xenophobia has to be questioned. The most goals Ross McMormack  scored in the SPL before moving to Cardiff was eight, his first season in Wales garnered 23 goals. That must mean that the Champonship is three times easier to score in. Or more logically, take each player on their individual merits, and don't bother sticking them ln in the same bracket because they are of the same nationality. I thought that would be obvious though?

We've had a mixed bag from Scotland over the years, most recently Craig Bryson who was POTY in his first season and is a key squad member and Chris Mcguire who was a young lad, supposedly very exciting and just broken into the Scotland squad - he did not go well to put it mildly.

My feeling is that the championship is more competitive than the SPL in that all the teams are quite close and it is notoriously hard to predict, as for the overall quality my feeling is that it is lower but then again I have a clear bias there and do not watch much SPL.

I think if you read back through this threa.....no don't do that it will take years - but I think the general feeling on this guy is of excitement and optimism, you will always get those who go against the majority and in this Bris is a serial offender but the long and short of it is that you have had players who have made the move and done well and those that have not, same as players coming from any other league so their is a point to be made that in many ways he is an unknown quantity - that said the same can even be said for players with a championship heritage - we had Nathan ellington who had torn the league apart previously but never did it with us.

All signings carry a risk.

My view - from the very little I have seen and heard he looks good, quick, deceptively good in the air, decent touch and although predominately left sided can use his right as well, scores a range of goals and his attitude and work rate seem to be spot on.

I am also in the camp that Bris mentions in that I have only really seen/heard clips and snippets of him, but then Nigel wasn't calling me to ask my opinion, I'm sure he has done his homework and I look forward to him getting started

We've had a mixed bag from Scotland over the years, most recently Craig Bryson who was POTY in his first season and is a key squad member and Chris Mcguire who was a young lad, supposedly very exciting and just broken into the Scotland squad - he did not go well to put it mildly.

My feeling is that the championship is more competitive than the SPL in that all the teams are quite close and it is notoriously hard to predict, as for the overall quality my feeling is that it is lower but then again I have a clear bias there and do not watch much SPL.

I think if you read back through this threa.....no don't do that it will take years - but I think the general feeling on this guy is of excitement and optimism, you will always get those who go against the majority and in this Bris is a serial offender but the long and short of it is that you have had players who have made the move and done well and those that have not, same as players coming from any other league so their is a point to be made that in many ways he is an unknown quantity - that said the same can even be said for players with a championship heritage - we had Nathan ellington who had torn the league apart previously but never did it with us.

My view - from the very little I have seen and heard he looks good, quick, deceptively good in the air, decent touch and although predominately left sided can use his right as well, scores a range of goals and his attitude and work rate seem to be spot on.

I am also in the camp that Bris mentions in that I have only really seen/heard clips and snippets of him, but then Nigel wasn't calling me to ask my opinion, I'm sure he has done his homework and I look forward to him getting started

Chris maguire was a really odd signing. Nobody really rated him at all up here. I may be completely wrong, but I'm sure any Aberdeen fan you asked would say that he wasn't very good. He had a green spell of form when he was on loan at Killie, but that was it. Very odd signing by the Rams..

Dave Mackay, Archie Gemmill, John O'Hare................

"It's the porridge, you know." (Tony Hancock, the Blood Donor)

The SPL had a team in the last 16 of the Champion's League, whilst the reigning English Champions were knocked with a few games to spare, and Chelsea had to WIN the Europa League.

Johnny Russell has scored a goal at Celtic Park last season, a place where Celtic beat Barcelona and put 6 past Dundee United.

The absolute negatvity of a player based on hs nationality former league is astounding in it's ignorance, and it's rather unerving whiff of xenophobia has to be questioned. The most goals Ross McMormack  scored in the SPL before moving to Cardiff was eight, his first season in Wales garnered 23 goals. That must mean that the Champonship is three times easier to score in. Or more logically, take each player on their individual merits, and don't bother sticking them ln in the same bracket because they are of the same nationality. I thought that would be obvious though?

The same Dundee Utd that drew two each earlier in the season?

Chelsea won the Europa League, and so what? You do realise there is a massive difference between the Europa League and Champion's League, don't you. Even Scottish Third Division Champions Rangers managed to get to the Europa League final. Hardly a big deal , eh? I'm sure Chelsea fans won't be chanting about their 2012/13 Europa League win in the years to come.

No, there is a undercurrent of xenophobia running throughout threads on here. An administrator called Craig Forsyth a "Haggis Moncher". Leaving aside the fact that he couldn't even spell "muncher" properly, I have to ask, would it be ok to call an Indian a "curry muncher"? Of course not. It's racist, and his comment is xenophobic. Haggis, Rab C Nesbitt, Scottish people being pale, blah blah. It's utterly obsessive behaviour. A definitive under-current of hate.

Sorry, am I missing something? Do you actually believe the "NPC" is light years ahead of the SPL? From what I've seen of The Championship, a lot of the tactics are long ball, with the emphasis on massive defenders with barely any technique. Most SPL teams actually play the ball on the surface. St Mirren and Killie especiallly. Hearts finished tenth in the SPL yet drew with Liverpool at Anfield. Narrowly going out of the Europa league, in a  2-1 aggregate loss.Johhny Russell will hopefully be an asset to Derby, but to shoot him down before he has played a game, because "the world class Championship" might be a bit difficult for him is ludicrous.

I see you've 'met' our resident Mexican troll, BrisVegas.

If you've seen a black cat, Bris has seen a blacker one. Probably in an enchillada.

But Biffy, you have to understand that based on some of the nonsense posted on here, that those saying these things are fairly low in the intellect stakes. It is probably just a reflection on their home life - shame for them really.

You need to lighten up.

Why?

There is an awful lot of truth in what he said - this forum is occasionally rife with people who vent their xenophobic spleens and call it 'banter', and it's easy to see why some would be offended. I'm as guilty as the next person, so I'm not being 'holier than thou' - after all, I take the pee out of Bris in a similar manner (I've just basically dropped an enchillada-based black cat gag).

It's not clever, and now I'm going to cool off and have breakfast.

Porridge and a mars bar.

Archived