Where's the money?

marko

I know as a new guy to this that I'm gonna get shot down in flames but is there only me that wonders where all the money is going? 30k+ crowds every home game and we aint got a pot to p*ss in. If we had a squad full of highly paid superstars I could understand it, but that aint the case...so where is the money going? Even the clubs with the lowest gates and smallest fanbases are better off. Time for our yankee friends to come clean because I cant help but think that sometime very soon there will be a big unwanted headline with GSE laughing at us all!!!

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm with you mate. We ain't asking for 10 million to be spent but surely a couple of million for a striker ain't much to ask is it after all the cost cutting we've had! Speculate to accumulate! I'm all for balancing the books but we really ain't far away from something special here!

I think we've got a brilliant manager that aint been given the chance to manage. I hope he stays longer than these clowns running the club so he can show his true potential. I honestly think that he wants to take this club to the promised land but is playing a game of endurance with our owners. Nigel is the man...pity the board are creaming us!!!

Good points Marko, I too don't understand, now the big wage players have left, why we are still having to sell before we can buy? The finances of our club don't seem to add up. Aren't GSE meant to be great at generating money off the pitch as well? I agree on Clough too, a great manager with his hands tied behind his back.

I think people are forgetting that GSE are still repairing the damage from the three amigos, ie recovering from the £60m in debts. We still ran at a fairly high loss of around £7m last year (correct me if I am wrong).

I'd rather we play less exciting football for a few years so that we are sound financially, than end up a la Portsmouth/Darlington/Port Vale and especially Rangers.

All credit to GSE, and all credit to Clough for working with such a small budget.

We are in a weird situation at present. We all want a team with a great striker and to win all our games. However, we aren't ready financially to go into the Premiership. If we did so in our present state, there's a real danger we would go straight back down and incur greater debts offloading players.Better to build carefully to bring long term benefits.

We should enjoy the good times again this season and hope that for once, we have a reasonable FA cup run.

Or we could invest sensibly and become a yoyo club for a few years taking the parachute payments until we establish ourselves in the Premier League. Clough is buying players on lowish wages with re-sale value so the investment could be re-couped if we got into financial difficulty.

I think people are forgetting that GSE are still repairing the damage from the three amigos, ie recovering from the £60m in debts. We still ran at a fairly high loss of around £7m last year (correct me if I am wrong).

I'd rather we play less exciting football for a few years so that we are sound financially, than end up a la Portsmouth/Darlington/Port Vale and especially Rangers.

All credit to GSE, and all credit to Clough for working with such a small budget.

the loss was only £2million, of course too much for anyone. GSE see buying a new scoreboard for £1million as a much better investment than a £1million player, and they're probably right. I think we should get a DoF who can wheel and deal a bit. Maybe we can find Romania or Estonia's next best thing.. 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wacko' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':wacko:' />

I know as a new guy to this that I'm gonna get shot down in flames but is there only me that wonders where all the money is going? 30k+ crowds every home game and we aint got a pot to p*ss in. If we had a squad full of highly paid superstars I could understand it, but that aint the case...so where is the money going? Even the clubs with the lowest gates and smallest fanbases are better off. Time for our yankee friends to come clean because I cant help but think that sometime very soon there will be a big unwanted headline with GSE laughing at us all!!!

30k attendances have little to do with it really, the days where big attendances made big transfer kitties are long gone. It helps bring in some revenue to stop us making substantial losses, but no more.

You're only shot down in flames because you clearly haven't been to pride park this season, perhaps other than the forest and leeds games., idf you think we get 30k every week - 24k is about the average. The vast majority of our crowd are season ticket holders, so most of that entire season's gate money has been accounted for before a ball is kicked.

Pretty much just you. We over spent and under achieved when we got promoted and all the parachute money was been eaten by players on high pay long term contracts that did not deserve it imho. We then had to spend 3 years getting shot of these players for little or no transfer fees and bring in players that wanted to play, and had to be paid. When NC took over we had a 1st team squad in excess of 30 players.

[size=3]Apologies to the OP but this type of ill thought-out argument really annoys me. The finances have been done to death on this and other forums but we still get this trotted out from time to time and almost every week on the moan-in. [/size]

[size=3] [/size]

[size=3]·[/size] [size=3]We do not have an average gate of 30,000, last season it was 26,281.[/size]

[size=3]·[/size] [size=3]Gate receipts/match-day takings are a far more appropriate measure of income, we are one of the cheaper clubs to watch in the league, our average ticket price is lower than many of our competitors i.e. other clubs with similar or lower attendances can generate more income from these.[/size]

[size=3]·[/size] [size=3]If the OP cannot be bothered to look at the accounts or search for discussions on this I am not going to do this for him, from memory the last accounts had gates/match-day receipts of approx £6.5 million. The wage bill, even in its reduced form of the last couple of seasons, if considerably more than this[/size]

[size=3]·[/size] [size=3]The club has operated at a loss for every reported season that GSE have been in control i.e. has spent more than we have generated. Every season GSE has put their hands in their pockets and made-up the difference, initially as cash injections but in the last set of accounts as loans.[/size]

[size=3]·[/size] [size=3]There is no evidence in the accounts that GSE or the owners are creaming money from the club and, again from memory, Tom Glick is paid less than the CEO received under the league of gentlemen (I’m thinking the guy before Pearson who, I think again from memory, was on c£400,000). Indeed, why would they be taking out money when they have had to put money into the club every season, this would just be moving money from their left pocket into their right one via the club.[/size]

[size=3]·[/size] [size=3]Without the annual cash injections we would be in a much worse place than we are today, maybe in the same league position but with massive debts or, more likely in my opinion, somewhere in League 1.[/size]

[size=3] [/size]

[size=3]For the record our average attendances over the past ten seasons have been:[/size]

[size=3]·[/size] [size=3]11/12 - 26,281[/size]

[size=3]·[/size] [size=3]10/11 -26,022[/size]

[size=3]·[/size] [size=3]09/10 - 29,230[/size]

[size=3]·[/size] [size=3]08/09 - 29,440[/size]

[size=3]·[/size] [size=3]07/08 - 32,432 (Premier League)[/size]

[size=3]·[/size] [size=3]06/07 - 25,944[/size]

[size=3]·[/size] [size=3]05/06 - 24,166[/size]

[size=3]·[/size] [size=3]04/05 - 24,044[/size]

[size=3]·[/size] [size=3]03/04 - 22,330[/size]

[size=3]·[/size] [size=3]02/03 - 25,469[/size]

[size=3]·[/size] [size=3]01/02 - 29,816[/size]

[size=3] [/size]

[size=3]Can I respectfully suggest that people refer to this when they tell us that GSE and Clough are driving away our fans, other than compared to the premier league season, and the tail from this, our current average attendance stacks up very well versus our long term average in this league.[/size]

the loss was only £2million, of course too much for anyone. GSE see buying a new scoreboard for £1million as a much better investment than a £1million player, and they're probably right. I think we should get a DoF who can wheel and deal a bit. Maybe we can find Romania or Estonia's next best thing.. 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wacko' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':wacko:' />

The loss was around 7.5 as said. The screen is costing 1mil but it will have paid for itself by the end of the season, therefore in theory will generate 1mil a season extra. Why bother with a director of football when the new CEO can do that job?

Archived