Kelvin Mellor

48 hours

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

T'would seem he shares your opinion JW.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/18728623

Crewe defender Kelvin Mellor set to reject Derby County

Crewe Alexandra defender Kelvin Mellor looks set to reject a move up a level to Championship side Derby County, BBC Radio Stoke reports.

The Rams had hoped to lure the 21-year-old to Pride Park on a three-year deal.

But promoted Crewe have responded by making a third improved offer of their own to keep hold of Mellor.

Meanwhile, Crewe boss Steve Davis has also tied up reserve keeper Alan Martin, who had originally seemed set to leave, on a new six-month contract.

Last season's number one Steve Phillips, the Alex's League Two play-off final-winning keeper, is now 34 and weighing up a new contract offer that would involve him coaching the keepers at Crewe.

And Martin, who originally joined the Alex on trial last summer after being released by Leeds United, is hoping that the door could yet open for him at Gresty Road.

"It's a crucial six months for me," Martin told BBC Radio Stoke.

"It's a chance to show that I deserve to be the number one."

As for Mellor, just as is the case with Crewe team-mate Byron Moore, who is also still to decide his immediate future, Davis recommends that now is not the time to move.

Crewe defender John Brayford and midfielder James Bailey are flourishing at Pride Park after making the same move to the East Midlands two summers ago.

And the Alex have seen star striker Nick Powell, tipped to be the club's best-ever discovery, depart to Manchester United.

But Davis, who first had Mellor with him at Nantwich Town, told BBC Radio Stoke: "The attraction of a Championship club might not suit him. "It might not be the right club for him at this particular time of his career when he still has the chance to develop himself."

Mellor is currently away on holiday but his representatives were due to meet up with Davis to discuss the club's latest offer on Tuesday afternoon.

I'll try again

Is that a looks like snubbing derby due to an improved offer that hasn't even been discussed by the players representatives.

On RD the guy from Radio Stoke says he's alright but first team football at Crewe and a two year deal offered by them may be enough to keep him against our 3 year reserve player deal (although that will be first choice for the last two seasons of that when Roberts deal ends)

I'll try again

Is that a looks like snubbing derby due to an improved offer that hasn't even been discussed by the players representatives.

On RD the guy from Radio Stoke says he's alright but first team football at Crewe and a two year deal offered by them may be enough to keep him against our 3 year reserve player deal (although that will be first choice for the last two seasons of that when Roberts deal ends)

Well II guess theres no doubt that roberts would be our first choice LB next season and this guy who TBH I have never heard of didnt fancy being a reserve.

Fair enough.

He has as much chance as playing for us next season, as he does for Crewe.

Gareth Roberts isn't a young pup anymore, and whilst he is a solid player he will more than likely have a couple niggles next season, whoever comes in as an 'initial back up left back' will have more than 20+ appearances next season. If he stays at Crewe instead of coming here, I would be amused but fair play to the lad... honestly, I respect his decision to try and improve himself at a lower division instead of making the easy decision of moving up the leagues.

I'm woried with this and the sale of Shackell some fans may not be with us much longer.

Good riddance I say. If they don't stick around just because we sold 1 player and couldn't buy another, they don't deserve to be associated with this club. No player is indispensable and we will find a replacement for Shacks. As for Mellor, we'll have other targets lined up already just in case.

lost track of this one.

Are we still waiting for him to come back from holiday and announce his decision after this weekend?

Saw a post elsewhere that said he had turned us down yesterday but there is nothing in the local media........

Archived