Kelvin Mellor

48 hours

Just stumbled across this on the CreweMad Forum ...

@young_nest heard exactly the same tonight, 3 year deal from Derby on the table which is why Kelv hasn't signed yet. Met Nigel Clough last week. He doesn't know what to do and his agent is currently holding out for more money from Crewe. Offered abit more by Derby but he knows that if he does sign he's unlikely to feature much. Still expect him to stay.

plus

"3 years (contract) compared to 1 is a huge difference and time is ticking on for the lad. He's 21, not 17/18. Nows the time he needs to be really kicking on and not only maturing but getting regular first team football, plus nailing his favoured position.

He might play more games for us, but he won't be a regular barring injury I wouldn't have thought. So its a tough one for him it really is. I'd take it in his position I really would. If he were to go, we'd get compo, so I'd be happy enough.

Got to decide sooner or later though, he's officially a free agent as of 12:01 on Saturday (30/6) evening."

plus

"It will be very sad news indeed, if Mellor does sign a deal with Derby. They will have half of our team in their side before too long.

I did say that I thought the "one year deal" offered to Mellor was unsatisfactory and harsh on the lad. He deserves the stability and security which comes with a longer contract. If Ajay hadn't have signed that 1 year deal so early and postponed his decision until the end of the season, then clubs would be sniffing around him now, especially considering his fabulous form during the play-offs.

Hopefully, Ajay's contract will be extended soon, as we don't want another Byron Moore case on our hands this time next year.

Therefore, if you are listening Steve, get these two signed up for longer and shove off Derby!"

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He does sound like the sort of player Clough would want as his second choice left full back.

We need a left back, but not one who is goign to exopect to start every week, while we still have gareth roberts.

Hopefully if we got davis, he could be the tom naylor for left back position we need.

Is he any good Dario?

He came good towards the end of last season, and was in the play-off winning team.

Altho' right-footed, he played at left back which I thing is why Nigel is interested in him.

Saw him in the semi-final play-off down at Southend, he has good pace and is very composed on the ball.

Can play at CB (he is 6' 2"), but he can also play RB/LB - and often plays in midfield for their reserves.

Note he has only made about 10 league starts for Crewe, and has just had a minor op on his ankle 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/sad' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':(' />

I've seen him once or twice at Newcastle Town, although the team was mostly college lads he looked decent, good in both 6 yard boxes too... I think he was playing CB then but not sure?

Shackell replacement? 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/ph34r' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':ph34r:' />

IMO, he does not have enough experience to be a Shackell replacement.

He is good in both boxes, and came close to scoring in the play-off final at Wembley.

IMO, he does not have enough experience to be a Shackell replacement.

He is good in both boxes, and came close to scoring in the play-off final at Wembley.

Where does he play now mate? Are you thinking possible back up, looking to take over from Roberts then?

Edit- Actually just read your post above and it could be anywhere! 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':lol:' />

He was the one that took the throw and did the give and go before passing to Powell for his wonder goal in Crewe's play off win.

Could be some action tomorrow if all the free agents are available July 1

He would solve a lot of problems if he can play LB, CB and RB, I hope he's not a jack of all trades and a master of none. I guess our friend DarioG would be in a better position to answer this question.

Crewe have quite a few players that can play in various positions - bit like Ajax in their golden days ...

Matt Tootle, who played RB most of last season played LM in the play-off semi-final/final 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

Harry Davis (Manager's son) played RB/CB/LB and DM last season ...

There is a few players in that Crewe side play off final side that I would of liked to see at Derby, can't remember if this lad was one of them, however, as with any signings we make nowadays no judgement shall be passed until a good set of games for us.

Doesn't sound overally convincing if a league one side haven't broke the bank to keep him though!

Got a feeling we'll sign this player.

The club say they want a young left back to be Roberts' understudy that's also a 'utility' player.

Kelvin Mellor? I think so, think we'll sign him. He fits the description and we've already been rumoured to want him.

Just a quick update ...

In the last few days, Crewe have signed a new CB and a new LB, both with far more experience than Kelvin. This makes me think that Steve Davis (Crewe's Manager) has resigned himself to losing him.

Archived