Kelvin Mellor

48 hours

He wasn't having a go at crewe, he said that Mellor and co spent a lot of time saying how badly treated he was at crewe and then ended up staying and that he was surprised, I think he just was pissed off and wanted it out there what he had been saying about crewe to make life uncomfortable for him when he went back, especially the father/son comment. It was not pc and it was a bit nasty but NC has always had a nasty streak.

I work in recruitment and trust me there have been lots of times someone has been slagging off their employers to me only to end up staying when it came to the crunch, there have been times I would have loved to call the employer and tell them what I had been told, I can't obviously but it appears Nigel can.

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Of course it's acceptable. Why can't he say that the lad behaved poorly? Why not? What is it with these days when people can't tell the truth because it's "not diplomatic". If he;s given his word he's joining us and then gone back on that I'd be going mental.

I assume once he's said what he's said to us during negotiations about his manager and about how disrespectful his club have been, we've got to strongly think he wants out and we've got to strongly think if we give him what he wanted then he'd join. The fact that we've likely held off on other targets thinking he is joining is enough to piss us all off, not to mention messing up our plans.

Who should we be having a go at here? Our manager for telling the truth or some bloke who has gone back on his word?

No you are completely wrong. Nigel Clough is the manager of Derby County Football Club and must conduct himself in a manner which befits that position. There is nothing wrong with him being blazing mad with the lads decision and there is nothing wrong with him coming out and simple seen he is really disappointed in the decision but to go about things the way he did has no class and did not show us for him in a positive light at all. I'm sure there will be players at other clubs looking at that with bewilderment.

No you are completely wrong. Nigel Clough is the manager of Derby County Football Club and must conduct himself in a manner which befits that position. There is nothing wrong with him being blazing mad with the lads decision and there is nothing wrong with him coming out and simple seen he is really disappointed in the decision but to go about things the way he did has no class and did not show us for him in a positive light at all. I'm sure there will be players at other clubs looking at that with bewilderment.

get of your high horse,

if you asked 100 derby fans which is all clough should be bothered about pleasing what they prefer I think 98% would say honesty where possible

"I'm sure there will be players at other clubs looking at that with bewilderment. "

dont stop em coming here though does it...woohooo!!! not when we dishing out 12k a week for a centre back 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/ph34r' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':ph34r:' />

Derby supporter rule number 1: Take any rumoured value you hear and take it as fact

In your opinion SE.

My opinion is I respect him even more for doing it. I love his direct approach and I find his honesty refreshing in a game that is not renowned for its honesty. It might stop players coming in for talks and bad mouthing their previous employer. I'm going through a process now of deciding which company to take over as MD. I could shout about a million things wrong with my last boss and a million and one things wrong with my last company. Do you think any of the potential NEW employers will get to know any of that?

Class is a two way street SE.

How about lack of class from Mellor? This is not a lad who's played 100 league games and was dropped harshly for no reason. It's a lad who's played a handful of games at a club that gave him his opportunity. Playing for a manager who gave him his opportunity.

The same boss he accused of picking his son not on merit. The same boss and the same team who he let know he didn't care enough to show up for the first day of pre-season cos he was swanning it on a beach.

I think it's right that all at Crewe know what kind of person they've got. I agree NC could possibly have picked up the phone and told Steve Davis direct, but I think he's done what used to be called "marking your card" and he's done it publicly.

I'd like to see a quote or a reaction from the Crewe side, or even Mellor coming out and saying NC lied during the process. Until that happens in my opinion NC got it right.

On the whole I would prefer it if Nigel had bitten his tongue and then had a quiet word with Steve Davis about Mellor's comments because we gain nothing by his reaction.

Having said that Nigel was quite clearly angry with Mellor for misleading him and messing our club about so I do understand why he did it.

On the whole I would prefer it if Nigel had bitten his tongue and then had a quiet word with Steve Davis about Mellor's comments because we gain nothing by his reaction.

Having said that Nigel was quite clearly angry with Mellor for misleading him and messing our club about so I do understand why he did it.

We've lost nothing by his reaction either, though.

He's p*ssed off, loads of managers would do/have done the same. Don't see this as a big thing.

Don't particularly blame Mellor for doing a u-turn, he's just a kid with a few options ahead of him, it happens.

Derby supporter rule number 1: Take any rumoured value you hear and take it as fact

I think we're very good in this sense as a whole, when you consider forest fans - only takes one bloke in a pub and they have a name printed on their bleeding shirts!! 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/rolleyes' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':rolleyes:' />

[size=1]

Following news of Mellor's deal, Derby manager Nigel Clough was clearly annoyed by the defender's decision to stay at Crewe.[/size][size=1]

"We had a good meeting with Kelvin, his dad and couple of representatives," Clough told BBC Radio Derby. "I think they spent quite a bit of the meeting telling us how utterly dismayed and dejected they were about his treatment at Crewe.[/size][size=1]

"Crewe put a year on the table which they felt was disrespectable in terms of the terms.[/size][size=1]

"When he turns round then and says he's going to stay at Crewe we're very surprised. He even got to the stage where he said he felt the manager was picking his son over Kelvin.[/size][size=1]

"It must be difficult for him going back to the dressing room after all the things he said to us. And then when everyone was starting back for pre-season he decided to go to Ibiza with his mates for five days."[/size][size=1]

Think this was what everyone's on about. Doesn't even seem that angry!!! [/size]

Archived