Jason Shackell

BorneoRam

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

NIGEL Clough says he does not want to lose Jason Shackell – but is still not ruling out the possibility of selling the in-demand defender to help his summer transfer plans.

Derby County have rejected two £1m-plus bids for the centre-back, believed to be from Championship rivals Burnley, and there has also been interest from other clubs.

http://www.thisisderbyshire.co.uk/images/localpeople/ugc-images/275778/Article/images/16337668/3872739

Shackell was ever-present for Derby in his first season at Pride Park and captained the side in the absence of injured skipper Shaun Barker.

However, Clough may have to cash in on one of his most prized assets in order to bring in the players he wants.

"We don't want to lose Jason but if we got significant funds and it enabled us to buy a couple of players and replace him, without losing too much strength in that area, then that's what we'll look to do," said the manager.

"We're not making Jason available for transfer but if something comes in, we will look at it.

"We're in a position where we don't have to sell anybody. We keep emphasising that.

"However, if it can help strengthen the team and the squad, that's the way we will do it."

Clough admitted Shackell would need to be replaced immediately if he did leave but added: "We have two or three players in mind that wouldn't cost as much as Jason and, we think, wouldn't significantly weaken us in that position.

"I think we have to be sensible about it and if someone does go, then we're OK – we are covered with players coming up from the Academy or purchases."

Clough is keen to bring in right-sided midfielder Michael Jacobs from Northampton Town and is also in the market for a left-back to provide cover for Gareth Roberts, as well as a striker.

The Rams are willing to listen to offers for Sheffield Wednesday target Chris Maguire, James Bailey, Miles Addison and Lee Croft, while joint top scorer in 2011-12, Steve Davies, has been made available for transfer after turning down the offer of a new contract.

Clough added: "How do we move forward and get those extra 10 points to get us in the top six?

"That is what we're working on and even if we do lose Steven Davies and maybe Jason, we've got to have two, three or four players lined up who are at least as good to improve us. That's all we can do.

"We're also hoping for an improvement from the existing squad, particularly the youngsters."

Lazy linker

Still sounds to me they are saying raise the bid and you can have him

Just posted this on the Chambers thread but probably should have been on here! My take on it for what it's worth.........Like many on here I do like Shackell BUT he does not score enough goals from set pieces and he can't pass over 10 yards. I think it sounds like he is going and obviously Cloughy thinks he can gain more than he loses by letting him go. That is what real management is all about.

If we'd bought Shackell for peanuts or on a free I could understand this, but he cost us the best part of a million pounds didn't he?

Would have to be 2 mill I would have thought to let him go. 100% profit I suppose...

If Barker wasn't injured I would agree but as he won't play next season I can't see the sense in it.

What odds OB and Buxton at CB for opening game...

Barker and Shackell were supposed to be our balanced centre back pairing, a pairing good enough for the top of this division.

Barkers injured for a whole year and Shackell is now being sold for a bit of profit, can't help but this this building a team strategy has holes in it. I would hope that if we have a good player we should retain him unless silly money comes in, and keep working towards a squad of good players, shackell is a good player and 2million is not silly money, nor in the current state of football would it go very far.

Don't forget, footballers dictate transfers these days. Maybe Clough is just acknolwedging that, if a good offer came in, we'd have no choice but to let him go. It's all well and good talking about building a team around a player, but if a better offer came in they'd want to be off and would end up making sure it happened.

The speculation just won't go away and although the club have rejected bids, you have to feel their stance has been anything but firm.

I think back to when Hulse and Commons were sold and there were no replacements forthcoming and it makes me think Clough is going to gamble yet again.

With Barker out for at least a year, I wouldn't even entertain interest in Shackell. With Buxton and O'Brien as the remaining options and with our injury record over the years, it makes no sense to put ourselves in the position of having to replace not one key defender but two!

Essentially these quotes from Clough are trying to soften the blow and reassure us that if Shackell is sold, positive steps will be taken. But to be honest, they have done anything but reassure me. In the circumstances surely we should be looking to retain what we have and build on last season. Selling Shackell is a backwards step.

IF Shackell has a duff season next year, he's then into his final year at Derby and his value will drop. His wages 'could' also be at the top end already, maybe Clough knows that he won't be able to offer him a better deal?

Now if it is Burnley who have been making bids, he knows they have £7m to spend. Clough has said he's got 2-3 players in mind that will not weaken us massively that will be cheaper.

I would say that despite the club saying we don't have to sell, Clough is looking to cash in now whilst the opportunity to maybe double his money is here.

Disappointed? yes but I understand the position Clough is in and the uncertainty what the future may hold with a new Chairman coming in.

I'd be very surprised if he's still here come August.

Even if a 2m bid came in and Derby accepted it, Shackell may not want to move to that club. Didn't we accept a bit for Hulse and he said he wanted to stay?

Well he should go, if Derby accept a bid it means they can do without him, he is surplus to requirements, they would sooner have the cash than him, he should be off like a shot, IMHO.

IF Shackell has a duff season next year, he's then into his final year at Derby and his value will drop. His wages 'could' also be at the top end already, maybe Clough knows that he won't be able to offer him a better deal?

Now if it is Burnley who have been making bids, he knows they have £7m to spend. Clough has said he's got 2-3 players in mind that will not weaken us massively that will be cheaper.

I would say that despite the club saying we don't have to sell, Clough is looking to cash in now whilst the opportunity to maybe double his money is here.

Disappointed? yes but I understand the position Clough is in and the uncertainty what the future may hold with a new Chairman coming in.

I'd be very surprised if he's still here come August.

What happens if he has a great year ??!!

Of course every player has a price, but if we are now saying that we are looking at shifting players only 1 year into their contract on the basis that they may have a poor year, we may not be able to meet their wages demands and we dont know what the new chairmans plans are, added to the fact that we will argubably lose our best defender, then I cant understand the position if we sell for less than 2m.

Of course he can be replaced, but the reason why Burnley are so keen to land him in that he has proven himself in this league, IMO these are the players that we should be builing our team around not selling unless silly money is offered.

I wouldn't even think of letting him go unless it's for around £2m and we have a 'gentleman's agreement' for a replacement. The cornerstone of last season was a decent defence and being hard to beat. Taking away our two (along with Barker) best centre halves can only make us weaker.

Is this what it's going to be like under FFP rules from now on??? Treading water each year , buying players cheap & selling high after they have one good season, hoping to get lucky and do a Man U where we have 4/5 stellar youth prospects emerge at the same time. Admittedly it's a sound business model but it'll be f**king annoying for supporters...

Archived