Ozzie End or Popside?

curb

Come on then you old 'uns, time to nail your colours to the mast, were you Popsiders or Ozzie Enders?

I was an Ozzie Ender, although I had a few spells in the Popside and Columbo End, depending who I was hanging out with, but I consider myself an Ozzie Ender at heart.

Ozzie Enders Ozzie Enders la la la la la.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Started off in the boys pen (against Norwich in 1969) and when I went into The Popside years later for the first time I thought I was the bees knees. One highlight was giving Charlie George mercilous stick then when he scored, him coming over and blowing us kisses. We went nuclear, not long after of course I was worshipping him then knocked out he gave me 10 bob when I delivered a bed to him.

I started off in the boys end as well, my dad only gave us enough money to get in there, so every game we tried to jump over the fence when the steward wasn't looking, over the fence at the back of the Normo end where that bit of standing was, round the back of the Popside into the Columbo (hiding the silky) then through the away fans and through the fence into the Ozzie End (before they doubled the fence there). Did this for years before finally being allowed to go in the Ozzie on my own. Then they swapped it round to away fans and we had to go in the Columbo.

Popside, then Ossie Paddock (close enough to give some grief to the opposition bench) and then (can't remember why) the A stand.

Moved to Pride Park and got seats with almost the same view of the pitch (in the East Stand) - been there ever since and can't even sit a seat to either side of 'my seat' without it feeling wrong.....

Normanton end firstly, in the little bit of terrace that used to stick up at the back....then as we got braver, we used to sneak through the broken gate into the Pop Side and run around to the columbo end, but defintely my happiest times, and fondest memories of the greatest sporting arena ever created were spent in the glory of the C Stand. Top tier 2 row, right on the isle...the banter, the atmosphere, the faces, the violence, the language, the intelligence, the football knowledge, the songs, the comedy, the camaraderie....The C Stand....

I started off in the Popside, then had a season ticket in the Normanton End - met MrRam and had a season ticket in the Osmaston End - so I've been around a bit.

Treated ourselves once to a seat in Ossie Upper, for the Leeds match - nice. Mr Policeman ushered us downstairs with his truncheon, to make us stand on the Ossie terrace - where some nice Dotty Leeds fans, chucked the seats we had just paid for, at us. Oh the memories.

I was an Ozzie Ender, although I had a few spells in the Popside and Columbo End, depending who I was hanging out with, but I consider myself an Ozzie Ender at heart.

Yes, I suppose the Popular Side, Vulcan Street, was generally known as the Popside but the "Columbo End" was actually the Popular Side, Columbo Street.

It was 50p in the Popside to see Derby play Benfica in the European Cup in 1972.

Then again it was only 30p for the famous Liverpool game on 1st May 1972. That's only around £3.30 in today's money!

It was 50p in the Popside to see Derby play Benfica in the European Cup in 1972.

Then again it was only 30p for the famous Liverpool game on 1st May 1972. That's only around £3.30 in today's money!

it cost me less than a fiver for my first season ticket ..with a few cup vouchers thrown in too..ahh..those were the days..

Yes, I suppose the Popular Side, Vulcan Street, was generally known as the Popside but the "Columbo End" was actually the Popular Side, Columbo Street.

Quite right, but we always knew the Derby half as the Popside and the away side as the Columbo. I think it was 3 shilling in the boys end.

There wasn't any stands when I started, they used to play baseball there. Steve Bloomer was great.

Actually, Derby v Brum (2-2) the year we went up to the old first division with oh bobby bobby, co op stand first, then pop side. I used to get there no later than 1pm to make sure I was in front of a stantion. Popside till the end, from then.

Archived