If Clough gets another 3 years...

sideshowbob

• Replies 317
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I said lucrative, not profitable.

Is this one of those words where you where your cap backwards, yours jeans round your ankles and gold draping everywhere, like where bad now means good?!

I'm to old for that, so as the word must have changed it's meaning, can you tell me what it now means?

Who at Derby is responsible for moving these players on? Why haven't we made them attractive to other clubs?

Sorry, just seen this, how do we make Pearson more attractive to other clubs, dress him up in his Mrs' stockings and suspenders?

lolololololol

Is this one of those words where you where your cap backwards, yours jeans round your ankles and gold draping everywhere, like where bad now means good?!

I'm to old for that, so as the word must have changed it's meaning, can you tell me what it now means?

I meant, there's lots of money to be earned in football. Doesn't mean it's particularly profitable as a business model.

how stupid does this thread sound now 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/tongue' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':P' /> 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':D' /> in the words of george michael 'you gotta have faith'

Think George would sooner have Fred than Faith 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/rolleyes' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':rolleyes:' /> 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':D' />

Think George would sooner have Fred than Faith 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/rolleyes' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':rolleyes:' /> 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':D' />

No need for toilet humour..... 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':D' />

Does anybody else think we are getting carried away?

Fantastic performance on Saturday and I am as happy as the next man to see us where we are in the league with some encouraging players coming through but the tone on here has gone from "the end is nigh" to.. "what were we worried about we are amazing and Nigel is the best manager since his dad?!?!" (Exagerations but just trying to get a point accross.)

I cant help but think that neither is the case and really, we have got elements of a good team but some real issues too (left back, centre mid, striker!).

I worry that form is temporary and class is permanent and we have very little of the latter... it is a long old season!

I will just duck for cover and see what everyone else thinks!

Does anybody else think we are getting carried away?

Fantastic performance on Saturday and I am as happy as the next man to see us where we are in the league with some encouraging players coming through but the tone on here has gone from "the end is nigh" to.. "what were we worried about we are amazing and Nigel is the best manager since his dad?!?!" (Exagerations but just trying to get a point accross.)

I cant help but think that neither is the case and really, we have got elements of a good team but some real issues too (left back, centre mid, striker!).

I worry that form is temporary and class is permanent and we have very little of the latter... it is a long old season!

I will just duck for cover and see what everyone else thinks!

I agree with parts and disagree with others...

We definitely shouldn't get carried away. I thought we were exceptional after the red card (Brayford booking and Hendrick miss aside) - but it only takes a defeat on Saturday and it'll be forgotten quickly enough.

Agree with the need for a forward and a left back, but I still don't see the argument with a central midfielder. I see it more as a 'nice to have' than anything else. We don't have a quality left back, so that is far more urgent in my mind.

Two things (without getting carried away), that have to be taken on board, are:

1) The way in which we stopped the rot on Saturday was exceptional. It would have been the easiest thing in the world to roll over and lose three or four nil (last Christmas, anyone?), but we didn't. We outplayed them and outfought them. To win that game, in those circumstances, after losing two on the spin, is fantastic.

2) Nigel Clough is building a team with the type of character I haven't seen since we went up in 1996. They all look like they want to play for one another. The team spirit at the moment seems second to none, you can see it everywhere you look. Two of the players dragged Hendrick up to his feet after he missed the header, and Shackell was consoling Fielding after the red card.

Instead of troublemakers like Bywater and media whores like Savage, we've got a team with a good mix of pure graft and quality. It's far from the finished article but it looks pretty good to me. He deserves a huge amount of credit for gambling on players like Robinson, and bringing Hendrick and O'Brien through as quickly as he has.

So in summary, don't get carried away, but early signs for the season look pretty encouraging.

Think his selection of Hendrick, and O'Brrien was somewhat forced on him rather that being a brilliant choice.

Glad it has come off to a certain extent, but they are both still very raw, but the signs are good.

Something has got to give in this Div, we are fourth and heading for well over 100 pts, never going to happen. 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' /> 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

Think his selection of Hendrick, and O'Brrien was somewhat forced on him rather that being a brilliant choice.

Glad it has come off to a certain extent, but they are both still very raw, but the signs are good.

Something has got to give in this Div, we are fourth and heading for well over 100 pts, never going to happen. 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' /> 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

It's not really forced. We could've got Addison fit on our own but didnt, we could play Russell Anderson but don't. He's obviously got faith in them.

I agree with parts and disagree with others...

We definitely shouldn't get carried away. I thought we were exceptional after the red card (Brayford booking and Hendrick miss aside) - but it only takes a defeat on Saturday and it'll be forgotten quickly enough.

Agree with the need for a forward and a left back, but I still don't see the argument with a central midfielder. I see it more as a 'nice to have' than anything else. We don't have a quality left back, so that is far more urgent in my mind.

Two things (without getting carried away), that have to be taken on board, are:

1) The way in which we stopped the rot on Saturday was exceptional. It would have been the easiest thing in the world to roll over and lose three or four nil (last Christmas, anyone?), but we didn't. We outplayed them and outfought them. To win that game, in those circumstances, after losing two on the spin, is fantastic.

2) Nigel Clough is building a team with the type of character I haven't seen since we went up in 1996. They all look like they want to play for one another. The team spirit at the moment seems second to none, you can see it everywhere you look. Two of the players dragged Hendrick up to his feet after he missed the header, and Shackell was consoling Fielding after the red card.

Instead of troublemakers like Bywater and media whores like Savage, we've got a team with a good mix of pure graft and quality. It's far from the finished article but it looks pretty good to me. He deserves a huge amount of credit for gambling on players like Robinson, and bringing Hendrick and O'Brien through as quickly as he has.

So in summary, don't get carried away, but early signs for the season look pretty encouraging.

Pretty much spot on there. Not losing for a third game on the spin was much more important than who we beat at the weekend. I get the feeling it will only take a lackluster first half on Saturday for the minority to find their boo voices again.

Our style of play at the moment means we can't dominate teams home & away like the top sides do so our form will be up and down. So while I doubt we'll be able to maintain our current league position until next May I think we'll be comfortably mid table. What we all need to do is realise that despite not playing like Barca week in week out we will have 11 players out on the pitch grafting 100% and doing all they can to win for each other and the fans...

Pleasantly surprised to see some very sensible and shrewd posts in reply. I thought I might get shot down in flames!

For me the jury will be out on Clough for a little while longer, just due to some really strange ones in the past 2 years, however I am a lot more confident now than I was a year ago.

The consensus of thought of most the people I speak to is that they really want Clough to do well for the longer term but there is just a small nagging doubt. I will be more than happy to eat humble pie when we win the league!

So getting back to the thread.... I don't understand why we would ever give a manager more than a one year deal? If they do the job then they will stay and be offered a deal each year... and if they don't then it isn't a costly exercise to get rid of them. Particularly with Nigel's previous experience only being Burton I think the club is in the position of power.... or is that dangerous to suggest GSE have power to negotiate over and above Nigel?

Pleasantly surprised to see some very sensible and shrewd posts in reply. I thought I might get shot down in flames!

For me the jury will be out on Clough for a little while longer, just due to some really strange ones in the past 2 years, however I am a lot more confident now than I was a year ago.

The consensus of thought of most the people I speak to is that they really want Clough to do well for the longer term but there is just a small nagging doubt. I will be more than happy to eat humble pie when we win the league!

So getting back to the thread.... I don't understand why we would ever give a manager more than a one year deal? If they do the job then they will stay and be offered a deal each year... and if they don't then it isn't a costly exercise to get rid of them. Particularly with Nigel's previous experience only being Burton I think the club is in the position of power.... or is that dangerous to suggest GSE have power to negotiate over and above Nigel?

I liked your first offering much more than your second. I think everything you said in the first is right. However, I think we should forget what's gone and look forward. I don't think you can do that with a one year contract. This is becoming NC's team. No Savage - what a bonus; No place for Bywater, Pearson, Leacock and perhaps S. Davies. The reason is pretty clear - they don't give it all they've got . That's the new requirement and long may it continue. I think we'll finish about 10th, which would be a good effort in the circumstances.

I liked your first offering much more than your second. I think everything you said in the first is right. However, I think we should forget what's gone and look forward. I don't think you can do that with a one year contract. This is becoming NC's team. No Savage - what a bonus; No place for Bywater, Pearson, Leacock and perhaps S. Davies. The reason is pretty clear - they don't give it all they've got . That's the new requirement and long may it continue. I think we'll finish about 10th, which would be a good effort in the circumstances.

and with some of the players mentioned above - what they've 'got' ain't good enough.

"with Nigel's previous experience only being Burton I think the club is in the position of power"

is that a joke? when is the club ever in a position of power?? if he does badly he will get the sack but we wont have to pay him as much BUT if he does really well he can just say thanks and leave at the end of the year and join west brom or whoever has just sacked their manager...i just think thats a gamble...no position of power there for me..it just means weve let someone shape our team for 3 years then let them leave for the sake of a settlement.

i know some on here wont ever like him but even at the points last year when we wernt doing very well other teams supporters were talking about him doing well with the budget and squad he has had.

About the length of contract. With the new financial rules, there'll be a few chairmen who are looking for a manager who can spot lower league players and not make too much fuss about restricted finances. From what we see, NC wants to be here and he seems to be an honourable man, but it might be worth giving him a longer deal as a warning to other clubs.

Archived