If Clough gets another 3 years...

sideshowbob

• Replies 317
  • Created
  • Last Reply

While I hate to say it, I think we can over-egg how much Sav held us back. We never looked any better without him. When you have a player like Savage in your team, it's better to make friends than foes anyway, and it's not like we could afford better. He entertained some fans, he detracted attention away from Clough after some embarassing defeats (after the 4-1 to Scunny, more wanted Gibson's head than Clough's) which bought the manager more time, and he probably did set an example because you have to work hard to play 46 games a season at 35.

That said - I won't ever miss his sideways passes, his stupid attempts at running, his blatant attempts at refeering the game, the temperament the rest of the squad seemed to pick up from him and how much his personality dominated the squad. We only really know Lee Croft.

"with Nigel's previous experience only being Burton I think the club is in the position of power"

is that a joke? when is the club ever in a position of power?? if he does badly he will get the sack but we wont have to pay him as much BUT if he does really well he can just say thanks and leave at the end of the year and join west brom or whoever has just sacked their manager...i just think thats a gamble...no position of power there for me..it just means weve let someone shape our team for 3 years then let them leave for the sake of a settlement.

i know some on here wont ever like him but even at the points last year when we wernt doing very well other teams supporters were talking about him doing well with the budget and squad he has had.

Possibly because some opposition supporters are a tad brighter than some of ours?

Analyse the majority of criticisms on here aimed at Clough and you will see that the vast majority have never had any managerial experience and will never understand the complexities of assembling a successful team. And in Clough’s case he has one hand tied behind his back.

I sincerely hope that a three-year extension is signed and sealed with some haste. As with Burton, he is on a long term project which is developing nicely, the trouble makers and shirkers have finally been weeded out and we are now witnessing the fruits of tactical guile, collective team spirit and focused direction.

It can only get better.

He must have seen something in him I guess, don't know what though!

Clough said before the start of the 10-11 season that Savage wouldn’t be playing so many games or have such a major role as before.

At the time a few posters thought Clough was using Savage as a stop gap until Addison returned from injury and, in the meantime, would use Savage as an experienced partner/mentor for Bailey. Made sense to me. Plan might have worked if Addison had returned in better form…but he didn’t.

Does anybody else think we are getting carried away?

Fantastic performance on Saturday and I am as happy as the next man to see us where we are in the league with some encouraging players coming through but the tone on here has gone from "the end is nigh" to.. "what were we worried about we are amazing and Nigel is the best manager since his dad?!?!" (Exagerations but just trying to get a point accross.)

I cant help but think that neither is the case and really, we have got elements of a good team but some real issues too (left back, centre mid, striker!).

I worry that form is temporary and class is permanent and we have very little of the latter... it is a long old season!

I will just duck for cover and see what everyone else thinks!

its funny you should mention elements mr.Carbon 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' /> no, i just remembered how depressing this thread was plus i thought that this was just someone coming to predict our impending doom....again.

Possibly because some opposition supporters are a tad brighter than some of ours?

Analyse the majority of criticisms on here aimed at Clough and you will see that the vast majority have never had any managerial experience and will never understand the complexities of assembling a successful team. And in Clough’s case he has one hand tied behind his back.

I sincerely hope that a three-year extension is signed and sealed with some haste. As with Burton, he is on a long term project which is developing nicely, the trouble makers and shirkers have finally been weeded out and we are now witnessing the fruits of tactical guile, collective team spirit and focused direction.

It can only get better.

Totally agree. We'll only develop as a club with continuity at management level. The club is moving in the right direction, so it should be allowed to continue under NC's stewardship. If the people at the club, from the academy through to the manager stay, we could have 4-5 academy players in our first team in two or three years time. How great would that be.

Totally agree. We'll only develop as a club with continuity at management level. The club is moving in the right direction, so it should be allowed to continue under NC's stewardship. If the people at the club, from the academy through to the manager stay, we could have 4-5 academy players in our first team in two or three years time. How great would that be.

I suppose it depends on how good they are. ;-)

Archived