Crewe A v Derby County

froggg

I think Tyson is a good bet to be honest, he is a player that seems to get a lot of chances in a game, if he can just get into the habit of putting them into the net we will have that sort of striker, I know it's a lot easier said than done but they have to go into the net eventually, don't they? :confused:

That's the thing. Can he put them away?

A few chances tonight, a simple chance, almost a full goal to aim at v Morcambe/Macclesfield (can't remember which)...... still no goals.

But he's getting the chances. And he's made some of these chances himself.

Time will tell. Like that old Bonzai programme.... Place bets now.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think Tyson is a good bet to be honest, he is a player that seems to get a lot of chances in a game, if he can just get into the habit of putting them into the net we will have that sort of striker, I know it's a lot easier said than done but they have to go into the net eventually, don't they? :confused:

As I said on post #70 on Page 7, this is the first time in Tyson's career that he'll be used properly by the manager who signed him. This is his chances to show what he's all about. I'm not sure he's going to be all that great, but his pace will undoubtedly add an extra diamension to our game if we get desperate. I consider him a better player than Theo, but crikey do some defenders **** themselves for no good reason when Theo's on the ball! These players create space for the creative players like Ward and Maguire. I don't think it's a coincedence that Ward played his best when Robinson was on the pitch.

In short - it may not matter if Tyson doesn't score. It depends what we signed him for.

That's kind of what this league is all about, I suppose. Picking up wades and strays and youngster and lower league players in the hope that you strike gold dust; that player that can fire you to the Prem and/or that can be sold to pay off the debts of that shiny new stadium you just bought with no one in it.

Your Grahams, Sharps and Maynards haven't been £3m+ players their whole careers - all 3 were once nobodies and their careers have been made by managers taking ill-calculated gambles.

Clough's delivered, but not with a striker - our Billy Sharp/Danny Graham isn't a striker, he's a right-back. It's much harder for a right-back to get noticed in this league but a striker of similar ability would have been subject of much interest from mid-table Championship teams.

Its odd, you would think Clough would know a striker when he see's one, he made his name as one of the most intelligent strikers in the world, possibly in the game, so I would expect him to find someone.. or am I asking to much?

Its odd, you would think Clough would know a striker when he see's one, he made his name as one of the most intelligent strikers in the world, possibly in the game, so I would expect him to find someone.. or am I asking to much?

Well, for a good half of Clough's reign, we've had Hulse and Commons, perfectly good strikers at this level and our manager recognised it as such. Nigel does have a head screwed on. But he thinks he can get better, and it's a long-term project, so why not get rid of them both when the opportunity arises? Clough cleverly picked out Kuqi as an ample replacement (maybe even an improvement...?), and maybe we might have kept him if we had a bigger wage budget - but he wasn't exactly a long-term player anyway and even in that short spell, we had to rest him. Big ask for a full season.

Ever since Kuqi went, we've had decent targets - Waghorn, Sammon to name but two, and it's been an inability to actually sign the players rather than the manager being unable to spot the talent which has hurt us. The fustrating thing is, I still think we're a serious striker down on where we should be.

But no, you're not asking too much, but I was kinda hoping with the extra investment we'd get a pukka striker.

Ha! That's a good point!

He wasn't too shabby for Forest was he?:D

As I said on post #70 on Page 7, this is the first time in Tyson's career that he'll be used properly by the manager who signed him. This is his chances to show what he's all about. I'm not sure he's going to be all that great, but his pace will undoubtedly add an extra diamension to our game if we get desperate. I consider him a better player than Theo, but crikey do some defenders **** themselves for no good reason when Theo's on the ball! These players create space for the creative players like Ward and Maguire. I don't think it's a coincedence that Ward played his best when Robinson was on the pitch.

In short - it may not matter if Tyson doesn't score. It depends what we signed him for.

So because he hasn't scored in pre-season suddenly its all a cunning plan and we didn't actually buy him as a striker, but to make space/chances for others? I don't buy it.

Clough's gone on record saying Tyson's been bought as a striker rather than a creator, and he's not the kind of player in the Kuqi mould who you could argue gave as much to the team with his ability to hold the ball up and bring others into play as he did with his goals.

Tyson's been bought to use his pace to get behind defences and stick the ball in the net. That's his job. I'd be amazed if he wasn't first choice to start with but wonder how long he'll last without a goal before the manager shunts him onto the wing.

I'm sorry, we've got enough "creative" talent there with Maguire, Bryson, Ben Davies, Cywka etc. Tyson's a striker, so it does matter whether he scores.

Well, for a good half of Clough's reign, we've had Hulse and Commons, perfectly good strikers at this level and our manager recognised it as such. Nigel does have a head screwed on. But he thinks he can get better, and it's a long-term project, so why not get rid of them both when the opportunity arises? Clough cleverly picked out Kuqi as an ample replacement (maybe even an improvement...?), and maybe we might have kept him if we had a bigger wage budget - but he wasn't exactly a long-term player anyway and even in that short spell, we had to rest him. Big ask for a full season.

Ever since Kuqi went, we've had decent targets - Waghorn, Sammon to name but two, and it's been an inability to actually sign the players rather than the manager being unable to spot the talent which has hurt us. The fustrating thing is, I still think we're a serious striker down on where we should be.

But no, you're not asking too much, but I was kinda hoping with the extra investment we'd get a pukka striker.

Clough was indeed clever in bringing in Kuqi, then not very clever in replacing him with Moore.

I agree though, I feel too we're still in need of a decent striker, but with the going rate £2.5-3 million, can't see it.

I see Le Fondre's being touted at £1.5m, and it's that kind of level we're looking at at best I'd imagine.

So because he hasn't scored in pre-season suddenly its all a cunning plan and we didn't actually buy him as a striker, but to make space/chances for others? I don't buy it.

Clough's gone on record saying Tyson's been bought as a striker rather than a creator, and he's not the kind of player in the Kuqi mould who you could argue gave as much to the team with his ability to hold the ball up and bring others into play as he did with his goals.

Tyson's been bought to use his pace to get behind defences and stick the ball in the net. That's his job. I'd be amazed if he wasn't first choice to start with but wonder how long he'll last without a goal before the manager shunts him onto the wing.

I'm sorry, we've got enough "creative" talent there with Maguire, Bryson, Ben Davies, Cywka etc. Tyson's a striker, so it does matter whether he scores.

It's erm...interesting...that you've twisted my words that much.

"Form" is nothing in pre-season so whether he scores or not wouldn't be of significance. Reserve games are more competitive.

And if Tyson was signed to create space for other players and generally make a nuisance of himself (this is just one possible explanation I have for a signing I've struggled to get my head around), Clough wouldn't tell the press about it. How would Tyson feel if he read the paper to find out why he's really been signed...

We'll see when the season starts, won't we. If Tyson fails to score but we play well, and he becomes injured and we start playing poorly, then this theory is correct. If Tyson scores loads then Clough's a sodding genius. If he does neither, then all our fears deep within us will have come true.

Clough was indeed clever in bringing in Kuqi, then not very clever in replacing him with Moore.

I agree though, I feel too we're still in need of a decent striker, but with the going rate £2.5-3 million, can't see it.

I see Le Fondre's being touted at £1.5m, and it's that kind of level we're looking at at best I'd imagine.

In many ways, I actually think Moore was one of the biggest mistakes we made last season. He's not that bad a player, but we didn't use him well. When we played it in to his feet, he looked pretty classy and he had a decent finish on him. But a combination of the poor winter-time pitches, our best passers being out injured and Clough's tactics either being patheticly futile or too complicated for a thick squad to understand properly, Moore was used as an old-fashioned targetman, something he totally wasn't suited to. It's a shame - he was on the same wavelength as Bueno, Bailey and Cywka.

It came as no real surprise to me that he joined Swansea, the team who played it along the ground more than anyone in this league. I hope Nigel learned from it.

And yes, it probably will take that much at the present time to get that serious striker. That position seems to be an afterthought for Clough, like he's plotting his big move in that position but he's stuck. We've got second strikers in abundance, but not that pukka finisher.

But the team aren't going to be playing well seeing as we have signed 8 players, they need to gel, they need to adapt to the rest of the squad. Bringing in too many in a short space of time will always do this, and a few months back when we were signing the players many people admitted it would take time for the squad to gel, even much so people thought we would still be like it after a month or so into the season.

It takes time to get a big number of new players to play the way you want them to, they are still learning what the other players can and can't do, when they adapt to the other players' game then they should all be playing on the same wavelength

Out of those eight, three were already here, ones a second choice goalkeeper and two have been injured and played virtually no part in pre-season. So our current difficulties are all caused by Tyson and Maguire?

It's not a poor preseason necessarily.

I have to do this on a forum every single year; preseason is not is not is not is not and has little to do with results. It is a mean to an end and the stuff they do on pitch is about preparing for the season. Trying to win meaningless games gets in the way of practicing properly and a successful preseason is when a team is fully fit, match sharp and understand the tactics.

We have no idea how well this preseason has gone until August 6th.

jaffa cake for that man........:D negative nellies see me after school:rolleyes:

I wish everyone would calm down a little. Yes it's never a good thing when we loose but i'd rather get tonked 7-0 in a friendly and stroll to a 3-0 win against the Blue Noses on the opening day. Yes Tyson hasn't scored yet but at least he's getting chances, I'd be far more concerned if we had the forwards feeding off scraps but accoring the DET report their keeper had a blinder. Saying that we don't look to be as solid as we should be so I'd rather have a solid defensive midfielder come in than another striker at the moment...

Winning breeds confidence and a winning mentality. Derby need that mentality, it's no use shrugging your shoulders and saying 'it'll be alright when the season starts' - we should be winning these games against the likes of Crewe. Poor preseason.:(

Ditto for Brum. Should be a cracking opener!

http://www.birminghammail.net/birmingham-sport/birmingham-city-fc/birmingham-city-fc-news/2011/07/27/oxford-united-2-birmingham-city-0-colin-tattum-s-pre-season-match-verdict-97319-29127184/

I wish everyone would calm down a little. Yes it's never a good thing when we loose but i'd rather get tonked 7-0 in a friendly and stroll to a 3-0 win against the Blue Noses on the opening day. Yes Tyson hasn't scored yet but at least he's getting chances, I'd be far more concerned if we had the forwards feeding off scraps but accoring the DET report their keeper had a blinder. Saying that we don't look to be as solid as we should be so I'd rather have a solid defensive midfielder come in than another striker at the moment...

Agree with that.

I think there is goals in this team (depending how we line up). Its the Centre mid position that is desperate. I would'nt want Eustace (although I think we'll end up with him), I'd rather have an enforcer.

We've been fragile there for several seasons now and with Savage finally gone its a chance to beef it up a bit.

Spend what bit of cash you've got Nige on a Van der Laan type or, give Addo a month to get fit then bring him back and stick him in front of the back four.

so easy this management lark....

"we lost a bit of momentum when Stephen Pearson went off."

"We missed him through the middle" - Nigel Clough

....... ffs. GO AWAY PEARSON! I hate the bloke contributing to this clubs poor performances. I've never felt like this about one of our players. Absoloute rubbish and gets away with it every time.

On RamsPlayer, "he's going to be a big loss if that injury is serious".

On Radio Derby last season. "Pearson technically is probably Derby's closest claim to a Premiership player. It's just that consistency he needs".

Are they frickin blind???!!

He can't cross, shoot. His tackling is a mix of good solid tackling and jumping out the way. His pass completion must be about 80% on average. Which considering he only makes 10-20 yard passes is also crap.

Mikkel Beck, Claude Davis, Andy Griffin, Bob Malcolm. Stephen bloody Pearson!

What does he have to do to get dropped? Cywka gave the ball away v Pompey and it resulted in a free kick and EVENTUALLY a goal.

Pearson set someone up with a sitter v Reading away. And i don't mean for us.

Please, someone share my frustration.

Please. :(

"we lost a bit of momentum when Stephen Pearson went off."

"We missed him through the middle" - Nigel Clough

....... ffs. GO AWAY PEARSON! I hate the bloke contributing to this clubs poor performances. I've never felt like this about one of our players. Absoloute rubbish and gets away with it every time.

On RamsPlayer, "he's going to be a big loss if that injury is serious".

On Radio Derby last season. "Pearson technically is probably Derby's closest claim to a Premiership player. It's just that consistency he needs".

Are they frickin blind???!!

He can't cross, shoot. His tackling is a mix of good solid tackling and jumping out the way. His pass completion must be about 80% on average. Which considering he only makes 10-20 yard passes is also crap.

Mikkel Beck, Claude Davis, Andy Griffin, Bob Malcolm. Stephen bloody Pearson!

What does he have to do to get dropped? Cywka gave the ball away v Pompey and it resulted in a free kick and EVENTUALLY a goal.

Pearson set someone up with a sitter v Reading away. And i don't mean for us.

Please, someone share my frustration.

Please. :(

I really don't think he's that bad, I quite like him on the left wing but he is not a CM, certainly not a holding one

"Pearson technically is probably Derby's closest claim to a Premiership player. It's just that consistency he needs".

Sorry, buy I can't help but laugh at this!!!!!!!

What about Brayford, Cywka, Bailey etc?:rolleyes:

Can someone tell me what he brings to the team? He is just a failed athlete, British football coaches love this though for some reason!

Pearson is closer to L2 standard than Prem!

Archived