Crewe A v Derby County

froggg

in my opinion both goals conceded tonight came as Crewe waltzed through center midfield. Center backs not really to blame

If someone at the club does not fix this before xmas at the very very latest we will be in big trouble!

Ok, Savage was immobile and sometimes off the pace but he was still a leader and at least gave us focus in midfield, other teams knew they would get 'bitten' in that area. What do we have now, to me it seems we a sodding carousel where, if i take my boots and look the part i might get given a try out!

Why is it with this club, in recent years, that the glaringly obvious seems to be ignored?

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I seriously cannot believe how everyone seems to be pressing the panic button when its less than 2 weeks away from the league starting! We aren't struggling at the bottom of the league, we are merely playing friendlies to build up fitness levels ahead of the season, not to thrash teams 10-0. I'd rather lose to Crewe and pick up a win against Birmingham, and I'm not the only one with that mentality, it seems as if Pesch said the same about Burton when they lost the other day

it is about how the team is shaping up esr, not necessarily the results but how they are coming about, we don't sound like we are playing well and there seems to be some serious concerns and problems with how we are playing and the tactical side of the game.

But the team aren't going to be playing well seeing as we have signed 8 players, they need to gel, they need to adapt to the rest of the squad. Bringing in too many in a short space of time will always do this, and a few months back when we were signing the players many people admitted it would take time for the squad to gel, even much so people thought we would still be like it after a month or so into the season.

It takes time to get a big number of new players to play the way you want them to, they are still learning what the other players can and can't do, when they adapt to the other players' game then they should all be playing on the same wavelength

My worry is that with all this big talk from GSE that they are as usual 'pulling the wool' over our eyes,

if by October we ain't doing anything (and by this time 50% of season ticket holders should have their money back) we call for them to put up in January 2012 or sod off back to the good old US of A,

I for one am none too happy with the players bought or freed in, infact i think it's a poor showing, we need a good holding midfielder, 2 more strikers (both 20 goal a season men) and a decent left back,

If this does not happen then i'm afraid i for one will not be spending 150 pounds a time on a round trip to pride park.

My worry is that with all this big talk from GSE that they are as usual 'pulling the wool' over our eyes,

if by October we ain't doing anything (and by this time 50% of season ticket holders should have their money back) we call for them to put up in January 2012 or sod off back to the good old US of A,

I for one am none too happy with the players bought or freed in, infact i think it's a poor showing, we need a good holding midfielder, 2 more strikers (both 20 goal a season men) and a decent left back,

If this does not happen then i'm afraid i for one will not be spending 150 pounds a time on a round trip to pride park.

2 strikers you say. 20 goals a season each you say.

How much money do you think we have?! You don't get them players at this level anymore, as soon as a striker has a good season at this level he gets snapped up by the lesser or newly promoted Premier League teams, (Graham to Swansea).

Friendlies don't mean anything.

Stop worrying, we will be able to really worry when the actual season starts... :(

It's not good for everyone's blood pressure to start this early, Wait till about the end of August/early September and have a rest - you will all need it by then :o

I seriously cannot believe how everyone seems to be pressing the panic button when its less than 2 weeks away from the league starting! We aren't struggling at the bottom of the league, we are merely playing friendlies to build up fitness levels ahead of the season, not to thrash teams 10-0. I'd rather lose to Crewe and pick up a win against Birmingham, and I'm not the only one with that mentality, it seems as if Pesch said the same about Burton when they lost the other day

totaly agree mate! COYR

Ok, so why does GSE fill us full of the usual !!!, This is not good enough, Take a good look at Fester City they will challenge we will not - Simples !

I remember seeing the owners in an interview who say Leicester HAVE to get promotion this season, maybe its due to money, and maybe if they don't get promotion they could be in financial difficulty? It seems to me that they are taking a gamble on this season, if it doesn't play off then it's their own fault what happens.

We just seem to be building step by step rather than going for a gamble.

in my opinion both goals conceded tonight came as Crewe waltzed through center midfield. Center backs not really to blame

That's what i'd expect with 4132.

Even if the 2 widest attackers of the 3 are slotting in alongside the DM when we haven't got the ball, which isn't the way they do it (but if we did it would look like 4312 when we haven't got the ball) then even then i'd expect to get caught out and the DM left overran on occasion, like a lamb to the slaughter.

But the 2 don't drop back, and once teams have gone beyond the 3 it's a free run at defence.

It's a lovely positive formation, but as Duracell once mentioned last season, Derby look in real trouble when out of possession and the opposition midfield is BETWEEN our DM and our 3 AM's. And 4132 will just leave attackers running at defenders over and over....

..... i know it's a friendly, i don't care about the score in these games. But it's a good chance to look at the shape. And i think what you saw tonight at Crewe you will see a lot in the season with this formation. Especially goals from range even.

A natural DM to play alongside Bailey, i know i keep saying it, but i think it might be the big difference. Just one good DM and we can recreate that team that played so well for a couple of months last season.

Except this time there'd no Savage who struggles to get where his brain tells him he needs to be. There'd be a tough tackler with the intelligence to get where he needs to be, do what needs to be done, then Bailey can be there to feed attackers in dangerous areas.

Like i said, i don't think the score really matters, but if it's the shape being exposed rather than than the performances..... well that shape will still have the same weakness come the 6th August. It wont suddenly perform better because it's a league game. I think it'll show the same weaknesses.

But friendlies are the time to experiment. Maybe Nigel is just putting it to the test?

[sIZE=1]As for Pearson. Is there a Rams fan in the country that would have him in the starting 11?[/sIZE]

That's what i'd expect with 4132.

Even if the 2 widest attackers of the 3 are slotting in alongside the DM when we haven't got the ball, which isn't the way they do it (but if we did it would look like 4312 when we haven't got the ball) then even then i'd expect to get caught out and the DM left overran on occasion, like a lamb to the slaughter.

But the 2 don't drop back, and once teams have gone beyond the 3 it's a free run at defence.

It's a lovely positive formation, but as Duracell once mentioned last season, Derby look in real trouble when out of possession and the opposition midfield is BETWEEN our DM and our 3 AM's. And 4132 will just leave attackers running at defenders over and over....

..... i know it's a friendly, i don't care about the score in these games. But it's a good chance to look at the shape. And i think what you saw tonight at Crewe you will see a lot in the season with this formation. Especially goals from range even.

A natural DM to play alongside Bailey, i know i keep saying it, but i think it might be the big difference. Just one good DM and we can recreate that team that played so well for a couple of months last season.

Except this time there'd no Savage who struggles to get where his brain tells him he needs to be. There'd be a tough tackler with the intelligence to get where he needs to be, do what needs to be done, then Bailey can be there to feed attackers in dangerous areas.

Like i said, i don't think the score really matters, but if it's the shape being exposed rather than than the performances..... well that shape will still have the same weakness come the 6th August. It wont suddenly perform better because it's a league game. I think it'll show the same weaknesses.

But friendlies are the time to experiment. Maybe Nigel is just putting it to the test?

[sIZE=1]As for Pearson. Is there a Rams fan in the country that would have him in the starting 11?[/sIZE]

I do hope your right !

Well pre-season is going well.. :eek:

in all honesty though, it is no real indication but you cannot ignore that we're losing to league two sides.

anyway, I'm going to put my head in the sand and say 'it will all be alright come the birmingham match' :rolleyes:

Winning breeds confidence and a winning mentality. Derby need that mentality, it's no use shrugging your shoulders and saying 'it'll be alright when the season starts' - we should be winning these games against the likes of Crewe. Poor preseason.:(

It's not a poor preseason necessarily.

I have to do this on a forum every single year; preseason is not is not is not is not and has little to do with results. It is a mean to an end and the stuff they do on pitch is about preparing for the season. Trying to win meaningless games gets in the way of practicing properly and a successful preseason is when a team is fully fit, match sharp and understand the tactics.

We have no idea how well this preseason has gone until August 6th.

2 strikers you say. 20 goals a season each you say.

How much money do you think we have?! You don't get them players at this level anymore, as soon as a striker has a good season at this level he gets snapped up by the lesser or newly promoted Premier League teams, (Graham to Swansea).

Agree with that mate. You get the odd reliable scorer that sometimes hangs about, but usually because he wants to stay settled where he is rather than move to another Championship club.

Look at Leicester trying to get Maynard. It's going to cost them £4-5m and above no matter what they do.

Donny turned down a £3m bid for Sharp. How much do they want for him?

Long is only going to the PL, otherwise he stays at Reading. Same with what happened with Graham.

You just can't buy a 20 goal striker. You just have to find the potential or one season wonder or a PL reject to rediscover a spark. I reckon we could have that in Ward or Davies. Well, perhaps 10-15 each. Would be lovely. ;)

No guarantees in football. And the Championship least of all.

Agree with that mate. You get the odd reliable scorer that sometimes hangs about, but usually because he wants to stay settled where he is rather than move to another Championship club.

Look at Leicester trying to get Maynard. It's going to cost them £4-5m and above no matter what they do.

Long is only going to the PL, otherwise he stays at Reading. Same with what happened with Graham.

You just can't buy a 20 goal striker. You just have to find the potential or one season wonder or a PL reject to rediscover a spark. I reckon we could have that in Ward or Davies. Well, perhaps 10-15 each. Would be lovely. ;)

I think Tyson is a good bet to be honest, he is a player that seems to get a lot of chances in a game, if he can just get into the habit of putting them into the net we will have that sort of striker, I know it's a lot easier said than done but they have to go into the net eventually, don't they? :confused:

That's kind of what this league is all about, I suppose. Picking up wades and strays and youngster and lower league players in the hope that you strike gold dust; that player that can fire you to the Prem and/or that can be sold to pay off the debts of that shiny new stadium you just bought with no one in it.

Your Grahams, Sharps and Maynards haven't been £3m+ players their whole careers - all 3 were once nobodies and their careers have been made by managers taking ill-calculated gambles.

Clough's delivered, but not with a striker - our Billy Sharp/Danny Graham isn't a striker, he's a right-back. It's much harder for a right-back to get noticed in this league but a striker of similar ability would have been subject of much interest from mid-table Championship teams.

Archived