New Technical Director of Football?

rsmini

where did I say he had done nothing since leaving us? he start off very well at Scotland and went down hill in the last year or so which is why he was sacked, overview of his job in scotland would show he did well, at Palace from what i've heard from their fans is that he completely lost it in some games (not angry) just lost the dressing room so early on and didn't seem interested.

I say he has lost it, more to do with what i've heard, doesn't seem to want it enough.. I like Burley, don't get me wrong but there is a reason he isn't linked with any of the manager vacancies anymore.

also 'had a tough time because he had £0 to spend' Clough has made a profit on all his transfer dealings as well as slashing the wage budget, half of what it was.. therefore you could say Clough has had to make money and still keep the club above water!

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't like the idea of us appointing a 'director of football' very much. Our shortcomings on the pitch and in the transfer market won't be transformed with the swish of a pen and the padding of a wallet. And if Clough and Glick are still learning and growing into their roles as Glick has put it in the recent past, how can we even be sure they have what's required to identify the right person for the role? To me, it muddies the water and is pretty much an admission of incompetence but a way of allowing everyone culpable to keep their jobs. The whole infrastructure from a footballing perspective just comes across as very mediocre. If they want to change something, change the manager, change the level of investment. This sounds like a very expensive game of "tag, you're the scapegoat".

Several people have suggested Steve McLaren, but surely he is a coach, and not a buyer?

I have no doubt that we'd benefit from his knowledge of Holland and Germany, and IIRC Danny Higginbotham came to us on his recommendation. But I don't think this is a role for him. I put him in the 'possible future Rams managers' list, I don't think this is the role for him.

Jim Smith is still the best name I've heard, but I don't see it happening.

Several people have suggested Steve McLaren, but surely he is a coach, and not a buyer?

I have no doubt that we'd benefit from his knowledge of Holland and Germany, and IIRC Danny Higginbotham came to us on his recommendation. But I don't think this is a role for him. I put him in the 'possible future Rams managers' list, I don't think this is the role for him.

Jim Smith is still the best name I've heard, but I don't see it happening.

IMO we started to fall apart when McClaren left as number 2 to Man Utd..... The players we signed afterward weren't of the standard as they were before. Maybe it could be the role for him

IMO we started to fall apart when McClaren left as number 2 to Man Utd..... The players we signed afterward weren't of the standard as they were before. Maybe it could be the role for him

If it happened, I think it would lead to no doubts over Nigels eventual replacement.

i personally would love paul heart, he knows football in and out, he knows how to play a good standard of championship football & a number two next to cloughie that knows what he's talking about is something we've needed since cloughie took charge

I'd have The Bald Eagle back, put him in the role that should have been his years ago. He's got more contacts in the game than anyone on our current staff (I would imagine) and probably knows more about the lower leagues and almost certainly more about talent from abroad. It might also be just the type of appointment to bring back some of us who have swayed away from thinking the current management are up to scratch.

That said it'll end up being more of a business football person than a former manager I imagine.

Its very apparent that we have an issue regarding signing footballers. Clough has a tendancy to buy any player who plays well against us and to be frank, Glick hasnt got a clue about football. Since Pearson left there hasnt been a person to lead the team in terms of transfer dealings. We need someone with contacts, a good scouting knowledge and with a good reputation who can really attract big players in to our team. Martin O'Neil would be fantastic in my opinion but I cant see it happening. As for Mclaren why the hell would he be DOF when he has stated he was looking for a management role. Wouldnt mind him as manager over Clough though.

With this apparent glut of transfers we're going to make this close-season (and they've said they'll be done early on) then surely this appointment must be made immanently in order to facilitate these transfers. Or in true DCFC fashion will we try and sign a load and then appoint this guy when the window closes?

whoever is the new director it wont be someone that can be seen as a threat to Clough's job. i would be very pleased with Jim Smith or Howard Wilkinson but i am expecting it to be someone most people will never have heard of.

It's took GSE 3 1/2 years to realise they don't know what they're doing.

I could have told them that after the first summer.

That's not how I see it.

GSE are still very much of the opinion that they've been doing the right thing cutting, slashing, and being conservative. This isn't an admittance that they've been wrong in that.

This does show, however, that after 2 seasons without Pearson they've decided that we need more experience to recruit the right players. A change in policy this is not; a statement of intention it is.

That's not how I see it.

GSE are still very much of the opinion that they've been doing the right thing cutting, slashing, and being conservative. This isn't an admittance that they've been wrong in that.

This does show, however, that after 2 seasons without Pearson they've decided that we need more experience to recruit the right players. A change in policy this is not; a statement of intention it is.

As Wilko said above why are they trying to appoint this fella now. "We are going to hit the ground running make lots of early signings" Yet now they are making noises about this new recruit to help get the players in, should have been hired already. What we need is a fella like Ron Jukes, brilliant piece today about Arthur and Ron finding him Gee and could have had Steve Bull!!

Archived