New Technical Director of Football?

rsmini

sorry but i can and will, the squad was grossly large and needed cutting back frankly jewel made a pigs ear of it, also jewel replaced virtually every player from the 07/08 season with a new one, i believe agaisnt donny we had9-10 new starters. Clough has had money to play with and has built a squad which in the poorest championship i can remember frankly scraped survival by the skin of it's teeth. Burley had 0 to spend and had a worse squad than nigel inherited yet he did well after 1 season of struggle he turned us around and did well. That is a sign of a top manager, frankly clough is mediocre and nothing more.

You haven't even bothered to read my post properly.

As I said - Jewell added to that worst squad in history, and it still wasn't good enough. Burley didn't have to endure that same starting point, and he was also managing when most teams were on pretty low budgets. Things have got crazy very very quickly in this league.

And where was all this money Clough had to spend? Please tell me, and tell me the kind of players we COULD have signed instead.

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply
sorry but i can and will, the squad was grossly large and needed cutting back frankly jewel made a pigs ear of it, also jewel replaced virtually every player from the 07/08 season with a new one, i believe agaisnt donny we had9-10 new starters. Clough has had money to play with and has built a squad which in the poorest championship i can remember frankly scraped survival by the skin of it's teeth. Burley had 0 to spend and had a worse squad than nigel inherited yet he did well after 1 season of struggle he turned us around and did well. That is a sign of a top manager, frankly clough is mediocre and nothing more.

George Burley is a better manager than NC full stop. But he's in the past.

I think we've all just accepted the restraints that NC has had and go from there.. There will always be people who aren't happy, and on the other hand there will be people who will back him no matter what he does (or how bad he does).

This season will be a real test for NC and his backroom staff.

Also thanks for the info Cumbrian, goes to show that not all clubs with DOFs are going to pot.

burley took over in a far worse position, gregory was a complete joke, we had just about the worst squad in my memory except for brown's squad which relied on loans, we were on the brink of financial meltdown and had crooked owners, you are a tiny bit deluded if you think nigel had a more difficult starting point than george tbh. The money, well martin, deeney, moxey, martin, davies, barker, bailey, brayford, croft, all the loans, pringle did all of these come for nothing?

Tiny bit deluded? I thought we were having a debate until you brought that one out :rolleyes:

The team Burley inherited didn't have to be cut back. In that sense, he could get some momentum. It was purely a case of him adding to it. And that squad didn't have the stigma that Clough's squad did. Psycologically - it was just all over the place. Panic buys added to the worst team in the history of English football - for me, it just does not get any worse than that.

I'm still absolutely amazed we haven't gone down, I said we could go into League 1 when we were first relegated. We've never come properly close to doing that, and I'm glad I've been proven wrong.

duracell, most of those players if anyone wasn't in the team for the 07/08 season so actually psychologically it shouldn't have affected them, burley took over with a worse team, are you sure he didn't have to cut back? we were in financial meltdown, were in a worse position, for me burley had a much harder job with everything going on than nigel has, and if nigel was in charge abck then we would have fallen through the trap door in my opinion. Burley bought players like reich, idiakez, rasiak and more, brilliant players and for 0 pounds.

Tiny bit deluded? I thought we were having a debate until you brought that one out :rolleyes:

The team Burley inherited didn't have to be cut back. In that sense, he could get some momentum. It was purely a case of him adding to it. And that squad didn't have the stigma that Clough's squad did. Psycologically - it was just all over the place. Panic buys added to the worst team in the history of English football - for me, it just does not get any worse than that.

I'm still absolutely amazed we haven't gone down, I said we could go into League 1 when we were first relegated. We've never come properly close to doing that, and I'm glad I've been proven wrong.

The team Burley had was a straight mix of oldies (Taylor, Jonno, Kenna, Pesch) Foreigners (Rasiak, Idiakez, Bisgaard, Reich, Mo Konjic) and youth (Tudgay, Grant, Camp, Hudds, Bolder, Jackson).. Pretty much the perfect mix. Credit must go to Burley for retaining key players, signings the foreigners and bringing through they youngsters.. Such a quality manager, I was gutted when he left.. We ripped apart so many teams that year, including Fulham in the cup!

Clough for me isn't that sort of manager.. It's strange, but under him I think we will just go into a lull and become the next Coventry.

I don't want to turn this into an argument about who's better - personally, I think Burley's been the best manager at Pride Park - so let's not turn it in to that.

The reason why I say it's psychological is that mentally, players are in a mess when they come down. Many studies have shown this. Our leader was mentally weak too, that's well documented. So for all the new players coming in, we already had a down-trodden manager, and the players were welcomed by downtrodded players. Tyrone Mears' "Great Escape" is a measure of just how bad things were, and how desperate some players were just get as far away from Derby as possible.

I remember when we played Charlton two seasons ago at the Valley. We only conceded one goal - and yet Darren Powell looked shell-schocked. He was absolutely out of it. The cameras focussed on it, the commentators commented on it. Then players went to jelly, the lot of them. That squad Burley inherited in 2003, it wasn't a lack of confidence or an unfit mental state, or poor attitude - it was just good, old-fashioned lack of ability.

i think they had a lack of confidence as well, especially after the beatings we took on the pitch the players were hardly confident. The players which came down though weren't playing though.

YR, this is really, really fustrating now.

I KNOW that most of them weren't.

But they still had influence, and they were the first experience all the new boys had when they joined.

Very, but it is at the negociation stage, the Board don't care whether Nigel wants a DoF or not, it is happening and he will not have a say in who is appointed!

That statement is absolute garbage, NC is totally involved in the appointment should it happen, it is by no means definite as it has to be the right person.

Does this mean you are happy with the current management team at Derby? Surely something needs to change and rapidly or we could well end up wasting more money on the likes of Ben Davis!

maybe the change ought to be the board letting Clough have some money to spend.

What managerial talent Burley had has since diminished without a trace, sorry to say.

Why'd you say this?

Because he became the first man since Alex Ferguson to get anywhere near breaking up the Rangers/Celtic in The SPL.

Or that he took Soton to the playoffs in his first season in charge, only missing out through a penalty shootout against us. I can honestly that had Wolves, Soton or West Brom won promotion instead of us they all would have faired better.

Then he went to Scotland, tried to be the first man ever to attempt to play football with a bunch of mediocre players, he was walking a tight-rope from the beginning.. He did no worse than those before him, Scotland haven't qualified for a tournament in over a decade.

He had a rough time at Palace, sacked in his first season because they were in the relegation zone, ableit he took over a palace side who had $0 to spend and who avoided the drop the season before due to a 2-2 draw at Sheff Wed.

To say he's done nothing since leaving us is incorrect.. He still has it in him to take a club back to The PL.

Archived