New Technical Director of Football?

rsmini

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply
DERBY COUNTY will recruit a technical director this summer in a bid to revive their fortunes.

Nigel Clough’s side finished just three places above the Championship drop zone.

And the Rams’ American owners, GSE, want to bring someone in to help their manager turn the club intoplay-off contenders next term.

The new man will oversee theday-to-day running of the club, including transfers, allowing Clough to concentrate on the training ground.

Derby chief executive Tom Glick will lead the search but Clough will also be heavily involved in the process with Paul Hart emerging as a candidate.

GSE, who have investors with serious financial clout, will give Clough and their new man around £3million for signings this summer, with Watford midfielder John Eustace on his way to the East Midlands

http://www.people.co.uk/sport/football/news/2011/05/15/derby-to-recruit-technical-director-102039-23130730/

I don't think we need a coaching figure but more of a business man, wouldn't mind seeing an ex-agent or something coming in for that role, someone who knows how to sell the club and get breaks where we need them.

I'm guessing that Clough has say in who we sign and who we don't so it shouldn't be a problem, although I guess Paul Hart is a likeable man who is a trusted figure around the game.

I think it boils down to whose idea it was. If it was a decision that clough was involved in then fair enough. If it was passed down that they needed to appoint someone then that is a very different situation whether clough is involved in choosing the candidate or not.

Isn't Paul Hart the man who was manager of relegated Swindon and did nothing for Portsmouth and, If I'm right, Crystal Palace. He might be a football man but he may not be the right one to look after the day to running of the club.

If the director is going to oversee transfers I would think he needs to be someone who is well respected in the game as well. Which of course Hart is!!

Leacock available for £600,000

http://www.people.co.uk/sport/football/football-hotline/2011/05/15/derby-prepare-to-sell-dean-leacock-102039-23130110/

Posted already on another topic, using his facebook status as a source.

Deano is still on;y 26!? Seems like he's been with us forever! 600,000 isn't bad for either us or the buyers (if there are any). I'd be happy with that and the new club would be getting experience and still a youngish player- if the move freshens him up he could be a very decent acquisition. Wouldn't be surprised to see him playing in red and sh*te of florest next season.

Deano is still on;y 26!? Seems like he's been with us forever! 600,000 isn't bad for either us or the buyers (if there are any). I'd be happy with that and the new club would be getting experience and still a youngish player- if the move freshens him up he could be a very decent acquisition. Wouldn't be surprised to see him playing in red and sh*te of florest next season.

Ipswich will be after a centrehalf once Mcauley leaves on a free. Jewell will know about him from his time with us.

a director of football is a bad idea, the manager for me should be exactly that and he should be held accountable for whatever he has done, not get in a director of football and say well i didn't want him so it isn't my fault.

Really hope this isn't true.

It's not a Technical Director we need, it's some solid investment and backing of a manager who has had very little to play with, and an awful lot to get rid of. If there is then no improvement after investment, Clough goes. If we do well, he stays.

Nigel Clough is one of the most stubborn men in football - I can't imagine he'll be jumping for joy at having Paul Hart in the management team.

My main fear is that this will come tumbling down if we start poorly, but rather than pointing to the ludicrous appointment of a Technical Director, it will come down on Clough's head. If he's going to succeed, or fail, at Derby County, I want him to be personally responsible for it.

Archived