New Technical Director of Football?

rsmini

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Really hope this isn't true.

It's not a Technical Director we need, it's some solid investment and backing of a manager who has had very little to play with, and an awful lot to get rid of. If there is then no improvement after investment, Clough goes. If we do well, he stays.

Pretty much what I've been thinking/saying about Clough all along.

I know it's the Sunday People and therefore should be ignored out of hand but ... Glick did say something in one of the end of season interviews about them looking at the coaching / management structure (whilst still affirming that Nige was the right man). I hope to hell this isn't true as Directors of Football always seem to be a bad idea and totally unnecessary - let the manager manage and if he ain't doing the job get shot. What we need is the investment they seem to be promising - but not wasted on another Director's wage.

We don't need a technical director, the club need's a head scout that has a successful record of spotting talent and recruiting them, a person that can head a team of people in the same role and report their information back to the manager from wherever in Europe that person happens to be scouting players, in other words, we need to invest in a scouting network that is capable of bringing in players that can progress the club on the field for bargain fee's or free transfers, Arsenal use the same method's and it has brought them sustained long-term prosperity in the Premier League and another (some will say more realistic) example is West Brom, who have consistently recruited from Europe.

So far, all the club has in this department is Simon Clough, Nigel's brother and his scouting knowledge hasn't stretched outside of the Football League, to his credit he spotted John Brayford and James Bailey but that isn't enough to progress us, 2 out of 3 of the most successful period's in the club history in the last 15 years is because the club had contacts that could bring in little known players from the continent that were capable of lifting us up the league table and making us promotion contenders, Jim Smith being the stand out example in that list, with signing's such as Stimac, Asanovic, Eranio, Baiano, Wanchope and Robin van der Laan that got us to the Premier League and kept us there, Billy Davies didn't use the same method's and we suffered because of that after promotion.

Spend funds where they are genuinely needed, Mr. Glick, rather than on a middle man that simply makes your job easier.

Agree with Eire Ram, would much rather an expensive scout be brought in than Paul Hart as a technical director.

I actually like Paul, but a scout who knows a thing or two about cheaper talent abroad would be incredibly useful to us.

Hmmmm not sure about Hart. Someone like McLaren would be perfect for this role, i'm sure he's got some very good contacts in the game. Wouldn't mind seeing the Bald Eagle come back either, he must have some good contacts and has obviously got a good track record in finding good players from abroad.

Would be a poor decision to employ Paul Hart. A nice guy, but was/is a shocking manager. Managed the scum too which doesn't help. Agree with what someone said earlier, That we need someone more in the 'Head Scout' mold. Jim Smith and Steve McLaren. Like has been said, Jim Smith can bring players in of quality (Whether it's Costa Rica or Estonia). And McLaren has 'travelled' a bit. Could pluck some players from the German League, Which IMO is VERY similair to the English game.

Truth is, We will get Paul Hart. Clough will get sacked, And PH will replace him in January.......All culminating in us dropping further down the table to finish 19th :(

Let's hope not anyway. But worries me that PH could be involved with the day-to-day running of the Football club that I love.......

Igor Stimac and Stefano Eranio should be on the list, Igor has said before that he has unfinished business here and Stefano is a Youth Coach at A.C. MIlan and he is head of the Giovanissimi Nazionali, which I believe is the Italian U-15 team, so his methods must have impressed.

To be honest, if Nigel doesn't change thing's here and his contract isn't extended, I wouldn't mind seeing Stefano back as Manager but obviously, that debate is for another time and I'm not attempting to start a "Clough Out" thread, so I won't elaborate further on that thought.

Igor Stimac and Stefano Eranio should be on the list, Igor has said before that he has unfinished business here and Stefano is a Youth Coach at A.C. MIlan and he is head of the Giovanissimi Nazionali, which I believe is the Italian U-15 team, so his methods must have impressed.

To be honest, if Nigel doesn't change thing's here and his contract isn't extended, I wouldn't mind seeing Stefano back as Manager but obviously, that debate is for another time and not I'm attempting to start a "Clough Out" thread, so I won't elaborate further on that thought.

You seem to talk a lot of sense Eire Ram!!.

Would 'settle' for either of these two also. Didn't know Stefano was Youth Coach at AC.....fair play to him. I really do like the idea of having someone who used to be connected with the club (In the good times of my generation) to assist. I know there is romance involved with the idea, But every candidate you have mentioned seems plausible.

More importantly, Each and every one of your suggestion would greatly widen the 'player database' that we could choose from.

I have commented on something similar a few months ago when Barker was discussed and why we hadn't signed another big signing since him.

I commented on the fact that when he was signed Pearson was the one sorting out signings and when Jewell wanted a player the deal was done. In January Glick admitted he had let Clough down by not bringing in the targets identified by Clough. May be Glick has admitted his skills are best served in marketing and balancing the books and by all accounts he has managed this. He admits he is having to learn about the game and the nature of transfers. Now I have a strong feeling Clough has probably asked for a this as he wants his targets to come in and someone who can negotiate with players and talk the football language and actually convince them to come. This would free Clough up to concentrate on the pitch and would be benfical for all.

I don't understand why they are called technical advisors they are for me more of an agent working for the club who are wheeling and dealing on the clubs behalf to get the better players on the best deal for us.

Paul Hart is a good choice as he has had plenty of experience. Also if he came may get a couple of portsmouth players who are on frees as he was liked by them at the time

If this is true, i think it will be a good move.

Its clear that Clough/Glick failed in the last janurary transfer window by not acting quickly on players and perhaps playing the waiting game a little too much.

Given all the other aspects of the club that Glick is responsible for, taking the "pearson" role off him can only be a good thing.

The 'director of football' type role can definately work in english football if people make it work. Those who say it cant tend to be the jim smiths and harry redknapps of this world who only know one thing. As well as being used to good effect in europe. It will be a thing Glick is used to in america with the whole head coach, and general manager partnership used in most american professional sports.

We don't need a technical director, the club need's a head scout that has a successful record of spotting talent and recruiting them, a person that can head a team of people in the same role and report their information back to the manager from wherever in Europe that person happens to be scouting players, in other words, we need to invest in a scouting network that is capable of bringing in players that can progress the club on the field for bargain fee's or free transfers, Arsenal use the same method's and it has brought them sustained long-term prosperity in the Premier League and another (some will say more realistic) example is West Brom, who have consistently recruited from Europe.

So far, all the club has in this department is Simon Clough, Nigel's brother and his scouting knowledge hasn't stretched outside of the Football League, to his credit he spotted John Brayford and James Bailey but that isn't enough to progress us, 2 out of 3 of the most successful period's in the club history in the last 15 years is because the club had contacts that could bring in little known players from the continent that were capable of lifting us up the league table and making us promotion contenders, Jim Smith being the stand out example in that list, with signing's such as Stimac, Asanovic, Eranio, Baiano, Wanchope and Robin van der Laan that got us to the Premier League and kept us there, Billy Davies didn't use the same method's and we suffered because of that after promotion.

Spend funds where they are genuinely needed, Mr. Glick, rather than on a middle man that simply makes your job easier.

Agreed 100% I've said before our scouting network (if you can call one man a network) is lauaghable.

Bringing in a seasoned wheler-dealer is exactly what we need to find us some bargain basement talent.

Having said that I can't imagine this story is accurate because of the timing. Why would you bring in someone to oversee transfers after you've tabled bids or offers for up to six players which are presumedly identified by Nigel??? Would've had more creadence if the rumour came about a couple of weeks ago...

As has been mentioned already, reported in the people and Derby Telegraph, Derby looking for a technical director.

Firstly, how long have we said we needed someone like this in the club?

Why has this occurred now? A question that raises a lot of answers, but ultimately, Clough and Glick have realised they need a layer in between both of them. Perhaps just to share the workload would be the reasonable answer?

So who?

Someone older needed, and someone who Clough can work with. Hart, Jim Smith, I think are a no no. Need to look towards who Clough has played with before, or has a connection with already.

Perhaps even someone like...Roy McFarland.

I think the value of a so called "director of football" (although the DET today seems to suggest that this wouldn't be the title of the job DCFC are offering) is, as some people have mentioned on here, as a bit of an agent for the club. That is they play a part in the transfers and running of the club, assisting the manager but are not involved with first team training or team selection.

To be successful in this role certain skills would be necessary; Scouting ability, business acumen, contacts within the football world and skills in managing the infrastructure of a club - youth facilities etc. I also think it is very important that the person in question be appointed with the managers input - as they will be working closely with each other.

With this in mind I have to admit that as romantic an appointment for Igor or Eranio would be I don't really think either of them fit the breif - an old hand like Hart or Smith would, in my opinion be far more suitable. Clough worked alongside some other old school guys during his playing days - what do people think about Roy Evans or Frank Clark being offered the position? Have to say I would be a little suspicious about Clark or Hart given the Forrest connections.

I think this move is a combination of pressure from the ownership group for some improvement in the transfer market after the PR disaster that was the January transfer window. Glick and Clough were shown up in that window badly. Glick has himself said that this was his hardest season in 17 years in professional sport. By his own admission, he has not managed to deliver on the targets which were set. My guess is that Glick and the ownership group have de Clough would want to work with someone who he knows well. This is where the Paul Hart link seems logical.

Clough has alot of respect for Hart and they were together at Forest in the past. He managed to cope with very difficult times at Palace and kept them up, but has not had great success as a manager overall. If he were the one to come in, as part of the additions to the backroom staff it would probably work out better than bringing in some name who Clough has had no concact with before.

Archived