New Technical Director of Football?

rsmini

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i really don't see the need for a permanent director of football, when transfer windows are so restricted.

just get an agent to seal the deals....no win no fee

the second point is invalid as it doesn't cover this season, it is worrying if two players make a team, if the squad was so poor then why was glick and nigel targeting a top 10 finish? minimal investment, was 2 million pounds minimal investment plus numerous other loans. It was the most humiliating in the fact that fans were divided, the players didn't care, we were poor for the majority of the season, we were getting beaten by very poor teams, i have been going for 11 years and last season was the most disillusioned with the club that i have ever felt. Commons and hulse should have been replaced in some form and i believe commons was in ben davies for nigel but he hasn't cut the mustard.

If Glick had got his finger out and secured the funding the Januar transfer window would not have seen players go out and only see B Davies in. Clough named targets Glick failed to land them and has said again we need someone who can replace me and close deals. Clough does not do the deal the CEO or technical director does. HENCE why we after this kind of person. If we had landed the targets we would have had the fresh drive which Ward brough two months earlier and we would have had a top ten finish. Sammon on MOTD the last few weeks has looked impressive and at our level would have scored us some goals. Glick tried to be clever over money and landed us bog all.

Ben Davieshas showed glimpses but for a lad who has never played at this level coming into a side playing badly and for fans to expect him to change our furtunes is unrealistic and simplistic/narrow minded. We need Ward, Sammon, Davies, a CB not Ayala as he was injured and Fielding from the moment January window opened. Davies was only one in on virtually last day of season, Fielding came in after Hull should have brough him instead of short term loan then we would not have had Jones and Bywater in goal. Sammon was missed and Ayala was injured but did us well when he played. Glicks decision to bring in technical director shows he knows he can not cut transfer deals and likens this decision to having someone like Pearson. If you check my previous posts on this subject our last proper established player who cost virtually the same as Bailey/Brayford fees combined was Barker and this was with someone in that position.

The blame is not totally Clough as he does identify the targets. The management at Derby have had a long hard look at themselves and have decided the investment needs to be spent on proven players and the sounds coming out of Derby are promising and they need a new structure to secure signings. This must be hard to admit you can not cut it in negotiating contracts for the club behalf but Glick has. Clough has identifies the CB from Barnsley and Barnsley fans are not happy at possibly loseing their captain and a player they rate as one of the best CB in the division now surely this is positive, we have not been linked to buying a player with proven quality since the beginning of the first season with Clough when we signed Barker. This must also prove the policy at Derby since Pearson left was to cut the budgets and just survive. The club is moving on.

This was a poor season but by no means the worst

You are correct, and technically Ward, Fielding & Robinson aren't Derby County players until 1st July. They have signed though.

Not according to FIFA where the first registration period opens at the completion of the season and shall last no more than 12 weeks.

http://www.fifa.com/mm/document/affederation/administration/regulations%5fon%5fthe%5fstatus%5fand%5ftransfer%5fof%5fplayers%5fen%5f33410.pdf

The 1st of July date is becuase most contracts expire on June 30th

Not according to FIFA where the first registration period opens at the completion of the season and shall last no more than 12 weeks.

http://www.fifa.com/mm/document/affederation/administration/regulations_on_the_status_and_transfer_of_players_en_33410.pdf

The 1st of July date is becuase most contracts expire on June 30th

Not according to Football Manager, which as everyone knows is infallible.

Edit: Not to mention you have almost certainly misinterpreted the rules. Working backwards from the end of August, the 12 weeks can only go to the start of June. All irrelevant as our window doesn't open until the 1st July.

Wilki have a list of transfer window dates

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transfer_window

it looks like the FA misinterpreted the rules last season too as well then.

http://www.thefa.com/TheFA/NewsAndFeatures/2010/transfer-window-060510

The FA

International transfer window opens

Thursday, 06 May, 2010

Details on the close season transfer window.

The FA have confirmed that the International Transfer Window will open on 9 June for all clubs in the Premier League, Football League and Conference National.

Domestic transfers remain unaffected and deals can be done as soon as a club’s season is over following the completion of a club’s last competitive game.

The transfer window will close at 6pm BST on 31 August (7pm European time). The FA have been working closely with the Premier and Football Leagues who, in turn, have been liaising with other senior European Leagues to try to agree common deadlines.

Domestic transfers from the end of the season, international transfers from whenever the international window is opened up.

Once again the computer game can't be relied on, proper research of regulations wins again

• 2 weeks later...

Just seen that Paul Hart has been appointed Academy Director at Charlton. Probably a relief to some people on here anyway.

Good move by them. He won't be coming here.

Wonder who will take on the Director of Football operations or whatever they are gonna call it. Was thinking maybe they have scuppered the idea, but the way Glick was going on about how he was impressed with the applicants a couple of weeks back, you would guess that they are still likely to appiont someone.

Wilki have a list of transfer window dates

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transfer_window

it looks like the FA misinterpreted the rules last season too as well then.

http://www.thefa.com/TheFA/NewsAndFeatures/2010/transfer-window-060510

The transfer window will close at 6pm BST on 31 August (7pm European time). The FA have been working closely with the Premier and Football Leagues who, in turn, have been liaising with other senior European Leagues to try to agree common deadlines.

I'm pretty sure there's more than one time zone for Europe.

• 3 weeks later...

Derby County chief executive Tom Glick has said the Rams are close to appointing a director of football.

Glick has previously talked of the club's intention to bring in another person to assist manager Nigel Clough as part of the backroom set-up.

And Glick told BBC Radio Derby: "There are a number of high-quality candidates interested and excited about this club and this opportunity.

"I am encouraged and expect to make that appointment in the coming weeks."

Glick added: "But we're not in a rush to do it, it's a long-term appointment to improve us.

"It's not slowed us down on this window at all, we have been preparing for this window for some time. But it is an important addition for the football club."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/13863209.stm

I applied for the post but haven't heard anything yet but perhaps I am in the "number of ... candidates" Tom refers too as I am certainly "excited about this club and this opportunity". Mind you I did ask if I could have Saturdays off so perhaps not - I'll get me coat.

Apparently we are recuiting a director of football. Not quite sure what they actually do, but I would have thought that player scouting and signing and contractual negotiations would be a big part of it. In which case this is a bit odd to make the appointment AFTER we have already signed so many players. Does this undermine the manager, especially after they have postponed new contract talks. Looks to me like Glick is taking a wait and see how well we do approach, with someone in place to recruit a new manager and find players if he decides that we need a change.

Apparently we are recuiting a director of football. Not quite sure what they actually do, but I would have thought that player scouting and signing and contractual negotiations would be a big part of it. In which case this is a bit odd to make the appointment AFTER we have already signed so many players. Does this undermine the manager, especially after they have postponed new contract talks. Looks to me like Glick is taking a wait and see how well we do approach, with someone in place to recruit a new manager and find players if he decides that we need a change.

Have you been living in a bubble or visiting a neighbouring universe for the past few weeks?

http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/threads/6466/

It's about time, maybe he can sort the mess out regarding transfers. When are Fielding and Ward gonna sign? If we don't snap them up soon, someone else will come in for them. And we really need to start scouting for a centre half to partner Barker. Ideally someone tall with good championship experience. We should be able to pick one up for a mid-table Championship team, someone who needs to move to a bigger club to progress their career.

Archived