New Technical Director of Football?

rsmini

- what do people think about Roy Evans or Frank Clark being offered the position? Have to say I would be a little suspicious about Clark or Hart given the Forrest connections.

As for Roy Evans, seems like he`s been out of day to day involvement of the game for 5 years or so.

Frank Clark seems like he has a cushy job already as the regional director of the League Managers Association. he has been out of direct involvement with coaching for over 10 years. That leads back to Jim Smith, 70 years old and officially retired from football

although he is a director at Oxford. Unlike Hart, he`s never worked with Clough. Guess it depends if Clough gets on with Hart

and if Hart wants to take on this kind of role!

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think this move is a combination of pressure from the ownership group for some improvement in the transfer market after the PR disaster that was the January transfer window. Glick and Clough were shown up in that window badly. Glick has himself said that this was his hardest season in 17 years in professional sport. By his own admission, he has not managed to deliver on the targets which were set. My guess is that Glick and the ownership group have de Clough would want to work with someone who he knows well. This is where the Paul Hart link seems logical.

Clough has alot of respect for Hart and they were together at Forest in the past. He managed to cope with very difficult times at Palace and kept them up, but has not had great success as a manager overall. If he were the one to come in, as part of the additions to the backroom staff it would probably work out better than bringing in some name who Clough has had no concact with before.

Why does everyone say January was Glick and Clough fault. Glick came out and held his hands up and said it was him that did not meet the requirements set by the manager. This I think basically means in English terms, Clough did his job identified the players, Glick just didn't land them. As I said earlier Pearson did this role before he left, he had no involvement with the selection or just buying players he thought would fit, he targetted the players identified by the coach and landed them. If Glick had been sorting transfers out when we got Barker the last big signing in 3 seasons do you think he would be here no he would have been down the road in broccoli land. Pearson knows football knows the footballers brain and could implement it in signing players. Managers do not negotiate contracts or terms now a days not like Brian who would go to some ones house and refuse to leave until he signed the contract. Contracts are now negotiatied by directors/Cheif executives etc. Glick holds marketing and this role and if I remember rightly the perosn helping him returned to America with his family to work in their sister group so he i doing more and more and therefore this person in my opinin is coming if it does happen to help not just Clough in landing the targets he identifies but allow Glick to do what he does best and that is marketing.

If we are looking, I can't imagine the job would interest McLaren, I suspect Eranio is happy in Italy and Stimac is a possible future manager here, but I cannot see him wanting the role. Jim Smith would be excellent, but again I think it is unlikely. Paul Hart inspires me about as much as Gordon Brown, and whilst I do support the idea in principal, I cannot think of a likely candidate.

The fact that Jamie Ward chose us over a bigger financial offer from Hull (clearly inspired by his first team chances and the management team), and the landing of Frankie Fielding, who could very well be a regular in the England setup (if only ever 2nd/3rd to the superb Joe Hart), shows that we have some pull in the market as it stands.

Frank Fielding and Joe Hart could be the England keepers in the future to come and Fielding has come here as he knows he is wanted and he will be first choice and he will develop. The likes of Foster, Robinson and Green are all retiring as they don't want to battle with Jo Hart. Now fielding will battle as he is at the right end of the age scale and for him to come here is brilliant and will give the defence confidence.

Paul Hart is not going to be the DoF, my sources tell me it is a high profile name they are after. The Board have identified the individual they want, negociations are now under way. No I don't know who it is, but was told it wasn't PH. They want to secure a DoF soonest to assist with the summer signings!

The set up obviously isn't working as it is, so any change is worth a try IMO.

the set up isn't working because we have a useless manager and backroom staff, frankly technical directors mixed with managers in this country ask for trouble and i can't think of a successful partnership of this kind in English football. They would be better hiring an experienced manager with success at this level and pay nigel off, rather than higher a director who does a lot of nigels job for him and pay the director a large wage.

i think a manager should not essentially be told who is coming and who isn't which a director of football is essentially there to do, the manager becomes head coach and the dof has a big say on who comes and goes. Please tell me a successful partnership of this kind in english football. If this happens and we buy rubbish everyone will say it is the dof's fault and not nigels.

Cool. You know any other gossip?

Sorry that is all I have, I think Nigel may feel that his days are numbered. How many times have we seen a DoF appointed at clubs only to replace the manager a short time later. If that is the case, lets hope they land the high profile name. All I was told was that I would be pleased with the appointment.

i think a manager should not essentially be told who is coming and who isn't which a director of football is essentially there to do, the manager becomes head coach and the dof has a big say on who comes and goes. Please tell me a successful partnership of this kind in english football. If this happens and we buy rubbish everyone will say it is the dof's fault and not nigels.

Liverpool & Chelsea do it I think?

a director of football? i don't think they had one under jose mourinhio when they had the most success, at newcastle was a failure, at tottenham was a failure, for me i am not a fan, the manager is the manager end of for me. He is responsible for player recruitment, training, tactics end of, the buck stops with him, otherwise if it all goes wrong you could have the dof and manager blaming each other.

a director of football? i don't think they had one under jose mourinhio when they had the most success, at newcastle was a failure, at tottenham was a failure, for me i am not a fan, the manager is the manager end of for me. He is responsible for player recruitment, training, tactics end of, the buck stops with him, otherwise if it all goes wrong you could have the dof and manager blaming each other.

Liverpool have Frank Arenson & Chelsea have had Avram Grant and there are rumours of him returning.

It works very well in Europe and the USA, there are no "gaffers" over there.

Does this mean you are happy with the current management team at Derby? Surely something needs to change and rapidly or we could well end up wasting more money on the likes of Ben Davis!

Archived