Norwich City (H) Matchday thread

jono

KO 12.30 Pride Park Stadium

Welcome to the Canaries. The Ultimate YoYo club. Just 1 point separates us and we have the same GD, goals for and against. Delia who taught many to boil an egg, still holds 10% of the shares in this well run club that being close to North Norfolk’s wonderful beaches can’t be a bad place to live and it’s also pretty much home turf for PW.

My first match day thread since I joined the forum so hope I haven’t breached any protocols.

To be honest I know pretty much nothing about the the current team except Cameron Jerome is an ex Canary and an ex Ram .. ack .. let’s do this COYR

FRGS Jerry Yates .. the lad deserves one for all the work he’s put in. 

JWZ

Nels Philips Cash

Wilson Adams Kenzo Osborn

Jackson Yates NML

Subs Vickers, Nyambe, Foz, Bradley, Ward, CBT, Harness, Chirewa, Brown.

Go attacking at home. Think Kane offers a great link front to back. Hopefully Tawanda is fit enough for the bench? Ozzy pushed over to wing back with Foz able to come on when he “gasses out”. I’d like to see subs a bit earlier given another tough away game 3 days later.

9 hours ago, DiggerB said:

JWZ

Nels Philips Cash

Wilson Adams Kenzo Osborn

Jackson Yates NML

Subs Vickers, Nyambe, Foz, Bradley, Ward, CBT, Harness, Chirewa, Brown.

Go attacking at home. Think Kane offers a great link front to back. Hopefully Tawanda is fit enough for the bench? Ozzy pushed over to wing back with Foz able to come on when he “gasses out”. I’d like to see subs a bit earlier given another tough away game 3 days later.

Wouldn’t be thinking about the Sunderland game at all. 3 points from the next 2 games would be a good return so need to put  everything into beating Norwich. Fuzzy for Elder would be my only change. Wilson on the bench hopefully - can’t see him starting after a month or so injured. Would at least start with a 4 3 3 as we’ve done pretty much all season so far.

3 minutes ago, Allen said:

Wouldn’t be thinking about the Sunderland game at all. 3 points from the next 2 games would be a good return so need to put  everything into beating Norwich. Fuzzy for Elder would be my only change. Wilson on the bench hopefully - can’t see him starting after a month or so injured. Would at least start with a 4 3 3 as we’ve done pretty much all season so far.

Bloody autocorrect! Fozzy, not Fuzzy!

Paul Warne was, of course, born in Norwich. I've no idea if he supported the Canaries as a boy, or still carries a flame in his heart for them, but no doubt playing them will be somewhat nostalgic for him. I hope the lads can bring him a victory to savour.

They've had a turn-up (which coincidentally is how "turnip" sounds in the Norwich dialect) in form since the start of the season and will be a dangerous opponent.

Warne has a couple of important selection decisions to make - one about formation (does he stick with 4-3-3, which didn't work well on Saturday without Ozoh?) and whether a few tweaks to the starting XI is necessary.

I suspect he'll give the same XI another chance, as he rarely panics after one narrow defeat, particularly when we have performed well at home.

I actually think this will be our toughest home game yet, because we're possibly favourites in many eyes (not mine - I think it's 50/50) and the fans might be expecting to win, which sometimes affects the atmosphere.

As B4 would have said - bring your scraves and flanges, let's make Pride Park a sea of black and white, let's singe for 90 minutes and cheer the lads to victory!

My gut feeling is that it's going to be difficult to get a midfield featuring both Adams, Osborn and Kenzo to function well as part of a 433. Not sure where exactly to turn to though. If Thompson is fit (which I don't think he will be ?) I'd be tempted to drop Osborn for him.

A different shape might be workable but will probably lead to players being dropped who don't deserve it.

I'm assuming Elder will be added to the injury list, so Forsyth starts and Wilson takes the vacant spot on the bench. Ozoh, Thompson and Barkhuizen will be out for a couple more games at least.

Zetterstrom

Nyambe   Nelson   Cashin   Forsyth

Adams

Goudmijn      Osborn

Jackson   Yates   Mendez-Laing

Subs: Vickers, Bradley, Phillips, Ward, Wilson, Harness,Blackett-Taylor, Collins, Brown

5 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

I'm assuming Elder will be added to the injury list, so Forsyth starts and Wilson takes the vacant spot on the bench. Ozoh, Thompson and Barkhuizen will be out for a couple more games at least.

Zetterstrom

Adams

Goudmijn      Osborn

Subs: Vickers, Bradley, Phillips, Ward, Wilson, Harness,Blackett-Taylor, Collins, Brown

Think you're likely right in terms of line up. Feels misshapen but I'm not sure how you solve that exactly and does highlight a touch how the squad is a bit stuck between formations.

Paul Warne's family are all Norwich supporters, as is he, but it has not stopped him coaching teams that have beaten them (including as Rotherham interim manager in January 2017).

He had a trial for Norwich as a 15 year old but was not taken on and played non-league in Norfolk including for my local team where I now live, Wroxham.

Saturday's game should be a good one as Norwich are playing a possession heavy style under their new Danish head coach and most of the Norwich fans that I know are pleased with the development away from the more pragmatic tactics of David Wagner which got them to the play-offs last season.

I'm going for a 1-1 draw and I think this could be our toughest home match of the season so far.

1 hour ago, brady1993 said:

My gut feeling is that it's going to be difficult to get a midfield featuring both Adams, Osborn and Kenzo to function well as part of a 433. Not sure where exactly to turn to though. If Thompson is fit (which I don't think he will be ?) I'd be tempted to drop Osborn for him.

A different shape might be workable but will probably lead to players being dropped who don't deserve it.

You might be tempted to drop Osborn for Thompson but absolutely no chance Warne will be! Was it a mistake to send Fornah out on loan? I think he would have been a more natural replacement for Ozoh

Norwich average 52.6% possession which is the 8th highest in the league slightly behind Boro and Bristol city while only scoring 8 goals with 4 of those coming in their last game. They fall 10th in expected goals behind the likes of Bristol city and Middlesbrough in that metric aswell. I’m highlighting Middlesbrough and Bristol as I think it will have a lot of similar elements to those two fixtures. 

They have a solid back line but it’s not very fast with the likes of Stacey and Duffy expected to start. I’d also imagine Doyle to play left back who likes getting forward and will leave space in behind at times. 

I would go with 

JWZ

Nelson Phillips Cashin 

Wilson Kenzo Ebou Osborn 

Jackson Yates NML

With the ball we should allow NML and Kenzo to roam and get on the ball with Osborn and Jackson giving us width with Wilson driving with the ball from deep. I prefer 4-3-3 but I think Ozoh and Elder being out means we should go with a 5 at the back system in my opinion. 

On counter attacks, if Yates drags Cordoba wide (which I think he will because of his football IQ) it will leave Stacey and Duffy to chase our forwards where NML, Jackson, Kenzo, Wilson will of have the beating off if given space. 

Cant imagine it being a pretty game but if we dig in like we know we can and play some of the nice fluid forward play we have at home we could well score a goal or two. 

I love nyambe but we will need him fit and firing against Romain Mundle on Tuesday and if we play wing backs he offers next to nothing in attack.

10 minutes ago, Gerry Daly said:

You might be tempted to drop Osborn for Thompson but absolutely no chance Warne will be! Was it a mistake to send Fornah out on loan? I think he would have been a more natural replacement for Ozoh

I doubt he will as well. But we need someone capable of giving more cohesion to our build up play, who can be the person that the defenders and midfielder can bounce passes of and instigate moves. From what I've seen of the two of them Thompson is better at it than Osborn who seems ill-fitted to play as a deep midfielder. 

And yeah Fornah would have been handy here. It may have helped to have not sent Robinson either.

I think Osborn and Kenzo will work fine together with Adams in our midfield but it needs our defenders to start noticing them moving into free space and waving their hands asking for the ball. Against SU this happened many times but the ball was played somewhere else, often straight to opposition, from our defence.

24 minutes ago, RamDotFi said:

I think Osborn and Kenzo will work fine together with Adams in our midfield but it needs our defenders to start noticing them moving into free space and waving their hands asking for the ball. Against SU this happened many times but the ball was played somewhere else, often straight to opposition, from our defence.

Yes, I do worry when our defenders charge forward with the ball. The further they get, the less confident I am that they will find a pass. 

Once they have committed an opponent, they have done their job and should give it to someone who can play. 

3 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Zetterstrom

Adams

Goudmijn      Osborn

This but a 4141 with a Goudmijn playing as a CM rather than CAM. 

Is Wilson back from his injury?

3 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

3 hours ago, Eoghan1884 said:

Norwich average 52.6% possession which is the 8th highest in the league slightly behind Boro and Bristol city while only scoring 8 goals with 4 of those coming in their last game. They fall 10th in expected goals behind the likes of Bristol city and Middlesbrough in that metric aswell. I’m highlighting Middlesbrough and Bristol as I think it will have a lot of similar elements to those two fixtures. 

They have a solid back line but it’s not very fast with the likes of Stacey and Duffy expected to start. I’d also imagine Doyle to play left back who likes getting forward and will leave space in behind at times. 

I would go with 

JWZ

Nelson Phillips Cashin 

Wilson Kenzo Ebou Osborn 

Jackson Yates NML

With the ball we should allow NML and Kenzo to roam and get on the ball with Osborn and Jackson giving us width with Wilson driving with the ball from deep. I prefer 4-3-3 but I think Ozoh and Elder being out means we should go with a 5 at the back system in my opinion. 

On counter attacks, if Yates drags Cordoba wide (which I think he will because of his football IQ) it will leave Stacey and Duffy to chase our forwards where NML, Jackson, Kenzo, Wilson will of have the beating off if given space. 

Cant imagine it being a pretty game but if we dig in like we know we can and play some of the nice fluid forward play we have at home we could well score a goal or two. 

I love nyambe but we will need him fit and firing against Romain Mundle on Tuesday and if we play wing backs he offers next to nothing in attack.

Norwich like to play with inverted full-backs and Stacey seems unlikely to be a starter as their Head Coach looks to prefer Fisher who fits the system better. That system can leave space for the wide men and actually the one who lacks pace is Doyle who seems likely to play at left back so there could be opportunities to exploit that flank. Keeping Doyle occupied defensively seems key since he is probably the best passer of the ball in their team.

52 minutes ago, Wroxham Ram said:

Norwich like to play with inverted full-backs and Stacey seems unlikely to be a starter as their Head Coach looks to prefer Fisher who fits the system better. That system can leave space for the wide men and actually the one who lacks pace is Doyle who seems likely to play at left back so there could be opportunities to exploit that flank. Keeping Doyle occupied defensively seems key since he is probably the best passer of the ball in their team.

Doyle inverts into midfield but Stacey plays a more traditional role. I’d be surprised if he went with Fisher and he’s only started 1 league game for them this season and is a lot more aerially in comparison to Stacey which is a big factor against a team like us.