Lee Carsley

IslandExile

12 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

From captaining the Derby youth team to managing England - who'd have thunk it!? 

If it moves any longer term, I presume this would mean we expect Pep or Klopp at the end of the season. 

Or maybe they actually use their brains and figure the best appointment they have ever made is an internal promotion from the u21s, so perhaps they should try that route again?

1 hour ago, therealhantsram said:

Or maybe they actually use their brains and figure the best appointment they have ever made is an internal promotion from the u21s, so perhaps they should try that route again?

Southgate had gone to 4 tournament finals as a player. He even missed a vital penalty in one of those and was a known figure. Then he'd also managed men's club teams (albeit terribly) at a decent level, even if no club would take him anymore so he got given the FA youth team. Then Big Sam misbehaved and the FA were in a quandary.

Carsley is unknown outside esoteric football circles. You may be right, but I feel Carsley lacks a lot of what made Southgate a plausible candidate, and it's inconceivable to me that Lee would be appointed permanently.

6 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

Southgate had gone to 4 tournament finals as a player. He even missed a vital penalty in one of those and was a known figure. Then he'd also managed men's club teams (albeit terribly) at a decent level, even if no club would take him anymore so he got given the FA youth team. Then Big Sam misbehaved and the FA were in a quandary.

Carsley is unknown outside esoteric football circles. You may be right, but I feel Carsley lacks a lot of what made Southgate a plausible candidate, and it's inconceivable to me that Lee would be appointed permanently.

They've probably been encouraged by de la Fuente's success with Spain though. Carsley is a marginally less impressive version of pre-Euros de la Fuente, at this stage of his career at least.

Edited by DarkFruitsRam7

15 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

Carsley is unknown outside esoteric football circles. 

It's a fair counter argument but I think this point ☝ is a bit harsh. 300 or so Premier League appearances and 40 senior international appearances count for something.

And crucially experience of managing teams through (youth) international qualifiers and tournament football mean he is potentially better suited than club managers.

6 hours ago, therealhantsram said:

It's a fair counter argument but I think this point ☝ is a bit harsh. 300 or so Premier League appearances and 40 senior international appearances count for something.

And crucially experience of managing teams through (youth) international qualifiers and tournament football mean he is potentially better suited than club managers.

Also learned under TBE.

On 07/08/2024 at 16:17, Carl Sagan said:

However.  Maybe the FA see him as someone they can mould into what they believe and want for the national team. I can't see Pep or Klopp wanting the job.

On 07/08/2024 at 16:17, Carl Sagan said:

Did you watch the U21's in the Euro's???  They played some unbelievable stuff.  I expect he may give some of the youngsters a go in the 2 games.  I'm excited...

17 hours ago, ramsbottom said:

Did you watch the U21's in the Euro's???  They played some unbelievable stuff.  I expect he may give some of the youngsters a go in the 2 games.  I'm excited...

No I didn't and it's interesting to hear. Look forward to seeing if we can play more to our attacking strengths.

On 10/08/2024 at 12:25, Carl Sagan said:

No I didn't and it's interesting to hear. Look forward to seeing if we can play more to our attacking strengths.

I'm sure they'll be some highlights on Youtube, and a lad on TikTok has done a tactical breakdown of the side which is an interesting watch

On 09/08/2024 at 14:16, Walkley Ram said:

The number of England managers that bollocked me for not closing a gate in Derby has gone from zero to one

The number of England managers that I've taken the ball off them in a charity walking football tournament, has gone from zero to one.

Seriously though, I'm really happy for him, always liked him as a player and by playing in that charity match, showed that he wasn't the 'big I am' and was happy to play against us mere mortals well after his playing career was over.

• 4 weeks later...

In the run up to his first game in charge there's lots of chatter today about Carsley not singing the national anthem. Firstly, no one should ever be compelled to sing God Save the King/Queen. It should be entirely their choice. 

He's a Brummie who joined our academy age 15 and qualified for Ireland through the grandparent rule on his mum's side. If it were me, despite being a not especially fussed Republican, I would sing it as I think it's a special and beautiful moment in international football, and something that helps bond the players.

I'd say if he wants the job full time, this shows poor judgment because this role is manifestly, partly political. And turning part of your fanbase against you before your players have even kicked a ball, simply makes the job unnecessarily more difficult for you.