When we were champions of England

I shared this story once before when I joined this fine gathering of fellow Rams. But seeing this photo for the first time in 45 or so years this week made me decide to share it again.

Back in the 1970s, my parents were Chairman and Secretary for the South Peak Supporters branch. My old man became very friendly with the player we were given as President Ron Webster and his wife, Doreen.

He was also friends with Colin Boulton, Roger Davies, and Roy McFarland, all of whom visited our house on several occasions.

He was on the board of Roy Mac's testimonial committee, and as a way of thanking him, Roy gave my dad the shirt he wore in the Charity Shield in 1975.

Much to my eternal annoyance, I lost it around the time we moved to the US.

Sometime after the Charity Shield, the South Peak branch ran a dinner and dance at The Fishpond in Matlock Bath. 

A bunch of the players came and brought with them the old First Division Trophy and the Charity Shield to show to people.

They then got hammered and forgot to take them home.

Both were in my bedroom in Bakewell for three days until the club sent someone over to collect them.

Almost as annoying as losing the shirt is the fact I have never been able to find a picture of myself with the trophies, apart from the one below taken the night before with @Eatonram.

My sister just sold the hours my mum and dad lived in at the time and I told her vainly to keep a look out for the shirt. I was hoping it had somehow got put in the loft, or stored away.

Anyway, it never resurfaced, but she found this picture.

The woman in the picture is my mum's aunt, who has been dead for 30+ years, and the photo was taken in our back garden at Bakewell. So at least Ihave proof I’m not making this up.

I cannot believe that we have one picture of two of the most iconic trophies in English sporting history between three siblings and that the only person pictured with them was a Blackpool fan.

Can you imagine Man City leaving the Premier League trophy behind in a pub and then taking 3 days to pick it up and nobody having any pictures in 30 years time?

No, me neither.

Auntie Francis with championship.jpeg

Me & Nick 1st division.jpg

20 hours ago, Bob The Badger said:

I shared this story once before when I joined this fine gathering of fellow Rams. But seeing this photo for the first time in 45 or so years this week made me decide to share it again.

Back in the 1970s, my parents were Chairman and Secretary for the South Peak Supporters branch. My old man became very friendly with the player we were given as President Ron Webster and his wife, Doreen.

He was also friends with Colin Boulton, Roger Davies, and Roy McFarland, all of whom visited our house on several occasions.

He was on the board of Roy Mac's testimonial committee, and as a way of thanking him, Roy gave my dad the shirt he wore in the Charity Shield in 1975.

Sometime after the Charity Shield, the South Peak branch ran a dinner and dance at The Fishpond in Matlock Bath. 

A bunch of the players came and brought with them the old First Division Trophy and the Charity Shield to show to people.

Both were in my bedroom in Bakewell for three days until the club sent someone over to collect them.

Almost as annoying as losing the shirt is the fact I have never been able to find a picture of myself with the trophies, apart from the one below taken the night before with @Eatonram.

My sister just sold the hours my mum and dad lived in at the time and I told her vainly to keep a look out for the shirt. I was hoping it had somehow got put in the loft, or stored away.

The woman in the picture is my mum's aunt, who has been dead for 30+ years, and the photo was taken in our back garden at Bakewell. So at least Ihave proof I’m not making this up.

I cannot believe that we have one picture of two of the most iconic trophies in English sporting history between three siblings and that the only person pictured with them was a Blackpool fan.

Can you imagine Man City leaving the Premier League trophy behind in a pub and then taking 3 days to pick it up and nobody having any pictures in 30 years time?

No, me neither.

Great memories and phots I lived in Matlock at the time and was a member of the South Peak branch and used to attend many of their Social events

Screenshot_20240720_111829.thumb.jpg.7193b0a469abbd72fc365a5fa24fb6ca.jpg

23 hours ago, Bob The Badger said:

No, me neither.

I have a pic of me with Roy Mac holding the Championship trophy.  It was taken at the civic reception at the Council House before we all moved on to the Pennine Hotel for more celebrations.

Pic attached.  My awful green velvet suit, but they were all the rage in the early 1970s lol

Edited by oldtimeram
Addition

On 19/07/2024 at 11:47, Bob The Badger said:

No, me neither.

Brilliant story!

I can remember going in the Ramtique on Osmaston Road in 1975 and there were no other customers in there other than me, my sister and mum and dad…

…and there next to the till was the Championship trophy casually ‘sat’ there.

1 hour ago, oldtimeram said:

Screenshot_20240720_111829.thumb.jpg.7193b0a469abbd72fc365a5fa24fb6ca.jpg

I have a pic of me with Roy Mac holding the Championship trophy.  It was taken at the civic reception at the Council House before we all moved on to the Pennine Hotel for more celebrations.

Pic attached.  My awful green velvet suit, but they were all the rage in the early 1970s lol

Shame you had to ruin it by pointing out your velvet suit, I had you as nailed on for being the foxy chick in the middle 😂

2 hours ago, Will Hughes Hair said:

Shame you had to ruin it by pointing out your velvet suit, I had you as nailed on for being the foxy chick in the middle 😂

I was going to ask him if he was the cabaret.

37 minutes ago, oldtimeram said:

No tinted glasses?

Maybe my mind playing tricks and it was 50 years ago, but I'm sure your dad used to wear tinted glasses?

Correct me if I'm wrong?

Had a few drinks with your dad in The Sportsman's Club after matches, along with David who was the landlord of The Plough at Hathersage.  He had big sideburns and resembled Amos out of Emmerdale Farm.

I remember your dad used to be quite friendly with a jolly round faced chap, whose name escapes me. 

Kevin Lloyd was always in there too, getting hammered most of the time. 

RIP Kevin

Edited by oldtimeram
Addition

3 hours ago, Patrick Rams said:

Hi...I've just watched a Podcast on YouTube...it's called something like Second Tier I believe. It was a Podcast which rated all Championship managers 24th to 1st Thought I'd give it a watch. Now regarding the upcoming season I seem to be more optimistic than most on this forum on our final position...I'm placing us around 10th to 14th in our first  season back. I'd be very happy at that outcome. Lots of fans seem to think escaping relegation would be fairly decent and then kick on the following season.Now back to this podcast..the two guys running it seem really knowledgeable in relation to the Rams and Warne and the style of football he usually plays. Spot on in fact.They mention his fantastic record in gaining promotion from League One but question his credentials as a Championship manager.. basically the jury is out.Anyway they placed him 23rd out of 24! Now because these guys seemed to know what they're talking about I suddenly had my confidence knocked..was I being overly optimistic about the new season? Oh and for the record they rated Wayne Rooney 24th!

34 minutes ago, oldtimeram said:

Maybe my mind playing tricks and it was 50 years ago, but I'm sure your dad used to wear tinted glasses?

Correct me if I'm wrong?

Had a few drinks with your dad in The Sportsman's Club after matches, along with David who was the landlord of The Plough at Hathersage.  He had big sideburns and resembled Amos out of Emmerdale Farm.

I remember your dad used to be quite friendly with a jolly round faced chap, whose name escapes me. 

Kevin Lloyd was always in there too, getting hammered most of the time. 

RIP Kevin

If I remember rightly his Dad had a Jag with a personalised number plate but it might be my memory playing tricks 

7 minutes ago, Mr Ramtastic said:

If I remember rightly his Dad had a Jag with a personalised number plate but it might be my memory playing tricks 

Not sure about that as I don't recall seeing him drive, but I do remember the old Duke of Devonshire used to have a green Rolls and I think his number plate was D1.  I'm sure he was probably over the limit a few times driving back to Chatsworth lol

Again, it was a long time ago so I may be wrong

9 minutes ago, Mr Ramtastic said:

You're right. 

And I was usually with him in the Sportsman's. His name was Bill.