Financial impact of new SS channel

@Ghost of CloughWell I doubt there will be much impact on overseas subscriptions.  I suspect some measures may be put in place to hinder people having regular holidays in Spain, but for the most determined they'll find a work around.  The UK will lose some as so few games will be on the service, but the extra Sky money will dwarf it (probably within the first week of the season).  

The original question was whether the club would gain or lose by this deal.  My single point is that financially this deal is absurdly good.  Sky do not want clubs and leagues streaming their games directly (in the UK).  So, they make knock-out deals that makes it madness for anyone to ever give it a real go. 

The club, in short, will be massively up - it really isn't in dispute.  

MM was wrong - he was looking at PL and saying we should get x percent of that (he ignored Super League rugby rights, cricket and others and simply focused on the highest paying; that is not a negotiating strategy).   Sky base their numbers on expected subscribers (either gained or retained), expected revenue of each, percentage profit on top minus rights cost.    That value is more than DCFC could ever themselves obtain and as long as the offer is above that (which it will be made to be) streaming will always lose and the amount gained by not streaming will always be more.  

NB the advertising point is mute.  A paper mill and Pukka Pies are not paying much to broadcast to 1000 people.  The total advertising level on Rams TV will be negligible.  And almost certainly overtaken by the top firms wanting to advertise in the 20 games live on national TV. 

Edited by CBX1985

17 hours ago, CBX1985 said:

You should consider a Now TV day Pass.  Can get them for £14 and can get all the Sky Sports for 24 hours.  Not great value if buying lots of times (but as a one off give times a year not too bad.

Can get for a tenner if prepared to just watch on your phone.

https://help.nowtv.com/article/sports-membership

Get some mates round and share cost. We do this.

Probs is they're hamstring by the EFL regulations. If the games were on ppv or subscription on Amazon prime or on YouTube it'd be much easier to sell. Most people got Amazon set up or a fire stick or YouTube already on their TV. Trivial to subscribe to a RamsTV Amazon channel or YouTube live stream. More annoying to be locked in to a subscription on your laptop, phone or iPad which you can't easily get on your TV. 

Also people with their pirate the games on 'loaded firesticks' or whatever probably outnumber those that actually pay.

6 minutes ago, alexxxxx said:

Probs is they're hamstring by the EFL regulations. If the games were on ppv or subscription on Amazon prime or on YouTube it'd be much easier to sell. Most people got Amazon set up or a fire stick or YouTube already on their TV. Trivial to subscribe to a RamsTV Amazon channel or YouTube live stream. More annoying to be locked in to a subscription on your laptop, phone or iPad which you can't easily get on your TV. 

Also people with their pirate the games on 'loaded firesticks' or whatever probably outnumber those that actually pay.

There are quite a lot of people who have dodgy sticks and things, but they are usually the people who cannot afford a full subscription (or are too tight) so the effect on broadcasters is smaller than imagined (their strategy is making it a faff).  Nowhere near more or level, it is about 10% from memory.

The numbers don't add up because of how it is bundled - that the clubs cannot compete because they have no bundling ability (except for throwing it in with a ST, but then they would lose an entire revenue which exceeds gate receipts).  You would need to charge so much to make the business model work that no one would pay.

18 hours ago, CBX1985 said:

You should consider a Now TV day Pass.  Can get them for £14 and can get all the Sky Sports for 24 hours.  Not great value if buying lots of times (but as a one off give times a year not too bad.

Now tv are currently offering their monthly Sky Sports membership at a reduced rate of £26 per month for six months then reverting back to £34.99 per month after the six month offer.

So, for a season (Aug to May) £296 for all EFL streams, 12 Sky Sports channels, no Sky contract required, available on phones, tablets, smart tv’s, computers and them stick thingys from Amazon, cancel anytime after 6 months offer.

Will it have any impact on the club or Rams tv, who knows, you pays your money you make your choice. 👍🏁

22 minutes ago, CBX1985 said:

There are quite a lot of people who have dodgy sticks and things, but they are usually the people who cannot afford a full subscription (or are too tight) so the effect on broadcasters is smaller than imagined (their strategy is making it a faff).  Nowhere near more or level, it is about 10% from memory.

I know people who are minted and to tight to pay, They have a "loaded" fire stick and the football that's on offer is limitless for the princely sum of £59.95 for a year

One is a ST holder and also has Sky TV they had BT sport until they upped the price a couple of years ago, Binned BT and got a fire stick now gets all the EU games for the one off price above...what's not to like 👍 

CBS have now bought the rights to the EFL to show "at least 250 EFL matches" every season for the next few years. Screening on Paramount+, CBS Sports Network and CBS Sports Golazo Network.

They have a minimum of 155 Championship matches, picks to be made no later than 2 weeks from the fixture. Hopefully they'll be respectful in terms of kick off times. 

https://www.dcfc.co.uk/news/2024/07/efl-news-efl-and-cbs-sports-announce-multi-year-multi-platform-rights-agreement

1 hour ago, Ram-Alf said:

I know people who are minted and to tight to pay, They have a "loaded" fire stick and the football that's on offer is limitless for the princely sum of £59.95 for a year

One is a ST holder and also has Sky TV they had BT sport until they upped the price a couple of years ago, Binned BT and got a fire stick now gets all the EU games for the one off price above...what's not to like 👍 

I have ST but also the BT TV service.  Is quite good value - I get the sport channels (all of Sky and BT as was, TNT now) with rewind and recording for £60pcm but that includes my high speed broadband.  

Edited by CBX1985

57 minutes ago, Ram@Lincoln said:

CBS have now bought the rights to the EFL to show "at least 250 EFL matches" every season for the next few years. Screening on Paramount+, CBS Sports Network and CBS Sports Golazo Network.

They have a minimum of 155 Championship matches, picks to be made no later than 2 weeks from the fixture. Hopefully they'll be respectful in terms of kick off times. 

https://www.dcfc.co.uk/news/2024/07/efl-news-efl-and-cbs-sports-announce-multi-year-multi-platform-rights-agreement

Unfortunately the only respect they’ll show is to their own scheduling needs.

No sooner have the EFL at long last agreed a half reasonable deal with Sky regarding notice of changes to KO times - for half the season at least - then they go and allow the American TV companies to screw it all up again. It’s enough to make you weep and vote for Mel as CEO of the whole shambles.

Aren't the firesticks, about which people speak, illegal? 

I thought it was some ripped off hack into the live streams. No?

I mean that would be "wrong" whereas a multi-billion pound monopoly squeezing every penny out of some working class punter is perfectly above board... To be lauded, in fact, for the entrepreneurial spirit that drives it.

Edited by IslandExile

17 minutes ago, IslandExile said:

1. Aren't the firesticks, about which people speak, illegal? 

2. I thought it was some ripped off hack into the live streams. 

3. whereas a multi-billion pound monopoly squeezing every penny out of some working class punter is perfectly above board... To be lauded 

1. Yes

2. Yes

3. Yes

Last season I got free world football through a Vietnamese TV station...until they block my IP Address 👎

2 hours ago, Ram@Lincoln said:

These picks will surely be just a subset of Sky's picks. I cant see them bothering putting their own cameras and crew into the ground when Sky have already picked off all the best ones.

They will take the game feed from Sky and job's a good un.

What it does mean though is a smaller international market to sell RamsTV into.

Edited by therealhantsram

7 hours ago, IslandExile said:

1) Aren't the firesticks, about which people speak, illegal? 

2) I thought it was some ripped off hack into the live streams. No?

3) I mean that would be "wrong" whereas a multi-billion pound monopoly squeezing every penny out of some working class punter is perfectly above board... To be lauded, in fact, for the entrepreneurial spirit that drives it.

1) Fire Sticks are not illegal.  They are a breach of copyright.  You can be sued to high heaven, but you are not breaking any laws. Neither are those that broadcast, but if sued and you do not pay then you have broken the law.

2) Basically

3) In the same way someone who steels a steak from Sainsburys does.  There is always a justification, but what if it was a product you owned. 

Edited by CBX1985

6 hours ago, therealhantsram said:

These picks will surely be just a subset of Sky's picks. I cant see them bothering putting their own cameras and crew into the ground when Sky have already picked off all the best ones.

They will take the game feed from Sky and job's a good un.

What it does mean though is a smaller international market to sell RamsTV into.

There has been no mention that this would be the case.  There was a broadcast deal for the US last year, as I watched an EFL game on my hotel TV in DC last year.  I also paid Rams TV whilst I was out there.  

The clubs are not being held at gunpoint to sell to broadcasters.  They go where the money takes them.

On 17/07/2024 at 19:35, CBX1985 said:

NowTV is always doing offers so during the season I normally subscribe for either £18 or £20 a month depending what's on offer at the time. Much better value than a day pass (especially given the number of games this season) and gives you access to practically all of Sky Sports.

I pay my 20 notes a month for RamsTV. I'll be paying a fiver a go for the pre season jobs. Last season I flew over for 8 home games of which we won 7 and drew 1. I do own a firestick which cost £40 from Amazon. I pay another 60 a year for the software on the stick. I never use it for Rams games and wouldn't use it, or any other medium, to avoid paying DCFC. I use it to watch stuff I can't get over here like the Open, the rugby, cricket and the occasional programme on ITV, Channel 4 and 5 etc.

On 17/07/2024 at 22:51, CBX1985 said:

There aren't enough supporters of this club that £20pcm would be even nearly enough.

Does anyone have proper estimates of how many fans a club has worldwide if it can average 27K+ attendances in league 1?